Novo Beaufighter Old Skool Build FINISHED!

Hello!

My entry for this build is the Novo reissue of the Frog Beaufighter. Bought some time in the early 80's from (I think) the Midlands Air Museum, I've never quite got round to building it. Confident in the knowledge that as soon as I start building it, Airfix will announce a new mould version, I offer it here for the Group Build.

Sprue shot

null_zpsf925cd6b.jpg

Not included in this shot are the flaps and ailerons which broke off. I think I have them all. If not, they should be easy to replace.

Painting instructions and stickies

null_zps92853cf8.jpg

Contrary to what I thought, the instructions call for Foliage Green and not a generic colour. Giorgio though has suggested a Humbrol match.

I'm imposing some rules on myself here. As my 'go to' build reference I shall be using this article from the first Airfix Annual

null_zps0772a8aa.jpg

null_zpsde760933.jpg

If the technique isn't there, I'm not using it! So.....

no airbrush (stipple for the feathered edge effect!)

tube cement is preferred, although passing mention is made of liquid cement. I have a tube in the stash.

cut the 'transfers' close to the marking so to minimise silvering when applied, so the Microscale method of gloss surface for their application is out, although using matt varnish to seal them in is ok.

Swann Mortons allowed.

Modern type filler is also ok.

Somewhere in my man cave there is the How to Build Model Aeroplanes Airfix Guide. If I can find it, I'll also utilise that too. In the meantime my other reference (though far too modern to be taken notice of really) is this

null_zps1b9797b7.jpg.

Chomping at the bit here........

Trevor

• Like 2

Like your self imposed refrence of the Airfix Annual. :thumbsup: . Remember that if anyone here gives you any tips ,you cant use them as the internet has not yet been invented ,that includes this one about not useing the internet ....oops iv gone back in time ...Help.

• Like 2

Crikey! Don't often see these in a Novo boxing... I have the spin-a-prop extra bits if you fancy a challenge!!

Chris

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass up!

Not checked yet but I would have thought that this offering would have included the spin a prop mods in the mould.

I remember doing the Beaufort as a spin a prop. Quite chuffed I was!

Trevor

Contrary to what I thought, the instructions call for Foliage Green and not a generic colour. Giorgio though has suggested a Humbrol match.

I painted mine with Humbrol Authentics HS265 "Foliage". Just checked the tin and the paint seems to be good, after some 35 years! PM your address and I'll send it to you - nostalgia build would be incomplete without nostalgia paint ;-)

I painted mine with Humbrol Authentics HS265 "Foliage". Just checked the tin and the paint seems to be good, after some 35 years! PM your address and I'll send it to you - nostalgia build would be incomplete without nostalgia paint ;-)

Thanks for the offer! I'll see how I get on :)

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Interesting subject you got there mate! And very tempting!!!!!

I think I still got somewhere in my attic a Frog Beaufighter, and I'm tempted to bring it down and start building it, while watching your kit's progress!

Good luck with it!

Cheers

Sernak

Edited by Sernak

Confident in the knowledge that as soon as I start building it, Airfix will announce a new mould version, I offer it here for the Group Build.

:clap: That's exactly why I'm building two Beaufighters! :lol:

That's at least five six Beaufighters in this GB. There is no way Airfix can ignore that! :D

I think I still got somewhere in my attic a Frog Beaufighter, and I'm tempted to bring it down and start building it, while watching your kit's progress!

Do it! You know you want to! :D

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Trevor,

Watch out for those NOVO decals - they will probably break up if you do not varnish the sheet before soaking them. If you have a disaster, PM me because I'm sure I have an original FROG decal sheet for that kit.

Nige B

Trevor,

Watch out for those NOVO decals - they will probably break up if you do not varnish the sheet before soaking them. If you have a disaster, PM me because I'm sure I have an original FROG decal sheet for that kit.

Nige B

Thanks for the warning. I'll test them with a redundant option first. I also bought a bargain bag of FROG transfers in the early 80's for about £1.00and I'm sure there is something Aussie in there.

Trevor

A nostalgia build? Cool, this will bring back plenty memories, perhaps make some of us think twice before complaining about minor issues with more modern kits/tools/paint etc. :lol:

Thanks for the warning. I'll test them with a redundant option first. I also bought a bargain bag of FROG transfers in the early 80's for about £1.00and I'm sure there is something Aussie in there.

Trevor

I have checked and confirm that I have spare Frog sheets for both the F191 and F291 issues of this kit.

I have checked and confirm that I have spare Frog sheets for both the F191 and F291 issues of this kit.

Thanks! I'll see what happens when it comes to applying the 'transfers'......

Still chomping at the bit.

Trevor

Can you use Humbrol filler?

We had to suffer back then & use 'Plastic Wood'

Awful stuff, Lumpy, and occasionally it melted your model.

BTW, I have an Airfix Beau here in Riyadh.

Too busy to join in with you though.

Pete

(Still, mostly, building old school (except for painting) style)

Pete

If you squint closely at the Airfix annual pic there is a picture of the original type of Humbrol filler. I seem to remember that you had to seal it with an undercoat before painting the final colour. As the stuff doesn't exist anymore I'll be using Plasto.

Trevor

Ah yes.Now I remember.

I think maybe the plastic wood was cheaper,

(running on pocket money back then)

I used also Airfix paint in bottles as it was slightly cheaper.

It was awful, Switching to Humbrol was a revelation!

Pete

Right then time to join in the fun.

It's been raining today, so like all small boys I got out my Airfix kit to play with. Yes I know this is Frog/Novo but 'all'kits were Airfix kits!

I've got my glue.....

null_zps276ad2c4.jpg

and I've studied the building tips. Notice that it advises a round headed blade, so that'd my weapon of choice.....

null_zps77abaa17.jpg

and I'm armed with the Soviet Union's finest...

null_zps5423c586.jpg

null_zpse297b22a.jpg

So let's get modelling!

Well that's the cockpit done

null_zpsac030fc6.jpg

To be honest now that I have taken more notice of the kit, it has to be said that by this time the moulds had taken a bit of a battering. Is this evidence of rust?

null_zps8f072cc5.jpg

And this is where I'm up to tonight

null_zps37622b70.jpg

I've just noticed that the wings differ on their trailing edges. What's that about then?

Now then, some help from the Massif please. It is evident from the painting instructions that there was consideration being given to the outer appearance of the model, but not so much the interior. So......I'm thinking do I go all ignorant like and paint the inside black or silver (or both?).

Over to you.

Trevor (aged 53 1/4)

Now then, some help from the Massif please. It is evident from the painting instructions that there was consideration being given to the outer appearance of the model, but not so much the interior. So......I'm thinking do I go all ignorant like and paint the inside black or silver (or both?).

You're painting the inside?????? :D

How strange your Beaufighter. It has the radome for the Sperry autogyro unit as in the newer Frog kit but has no separate belly. The molds were probably modified again by Novo.

Edit: Separate flaps and ailerons are not Frog either.

Ok welcome back to my 10 year old gluing his kit together on a rainy Saturday afternoon type buildathon.

Taking sage advice from Enzo and Adrian, I dispensed with the formality of painting the inside. I therefore installed the crew. Notice how they are able to control the plane by only using the power of thought, forsaking any formal means of control. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mutt and Jeff.

null_zps62761420.jpg

Here they are installed in their seats. You will see there is a ridge on the inside aft of the observer's window as if something is meant to be glued there, only there isn't anything in the instructions to actually glue.

null_zps835a671d.jpg

Next step was buttoning up the fuselage

null_zpsf8cc8fe3.jpg

There are a number of deficiencies in the model (shock and horror). Notice the assymetric seating arrangement and the err...... assymetric Bendix autopilot housing. Notice also the push fit, idiot proof automatic wing alignment system

null_zps42a13132.jpg

In this view, you can see the separate ventral insert where I suppose the battery for the 'spin-a-prop' went. Notice also that there is also an almost total absence of gun troughs in the nose. I may yet still do a hot pin to make them.

null_zps845930a5.jpg

I'm interested to see how others get on with their original Frog releases.

Come on Airfix, this shows that we desperately need an affordable and readily available Beaufighter or three.

More soon.

Trevor

• Like 1