Delta 2 Campini-Caproni C.C.2

CarLos

This is my first entry for this GB: the Delta 2 kit of the Campini Caproni, previously issued by Delta in 1972 or 73. A newer kit was issued recently by Valom, and that makes this elegible for the group build.

You may watch a video of the real thing:

Not exactly the kind of aircraft that can be accused to look good. The same happens to the kit:

Campini_0.jpg

According to the plans in the Ali d'Italia booklet it is all wrong: the wings are too big, too thick and will require severe surgery; The fuselage seems to be too thin; in short, there is no single part of the kit that can be used as is. So... that's my kind of kit!

As you may see, I started to glue the undercarriage doors because that part of the wing must be modified and the location, size and format are all wrong. The canopy was designed to run in a large rail, but I covered it with plastic, still to sand.

Follow-up in a few days!

Carlos

Carlos, a friend recently posted on a local forum that the drawings in the Ali d'Italia book are more to 1/73 than 1/72, might be worth checking them

Thanks for the advice, Georgio. I will scan the plans and rescale them on Photoshop.

In fact scaling the plans to 1/72 is not a simple task. The drawings differ from each other in the main dimensions. I made a table in excel summarizing the info (all dimensions in mm):

CampiniTable.jpg

Fortunately I can enlarge the plans in Photoshop by different percentages in each direction.

Can you believe that I found an aluminum tube of the exact diameter of the fuselage - 22 mm? It will save me a lot of work, as I had planned to enlarge the (most) under scale fuselage with plastic. This way I only need to worry with the front and rear tapering parts.

My "never throw away anything" politics paid again!

Campini_1.jpg

I recall reading about this machine many years ago. More of a ducted fan than a jet engine from what I can remember. Now I'm curious to see just how much of this kit you use for the finished model.

I forget to refer in the previous post that the plans contain a note referring that after the plans were drawn from published data the aircraft was measured and it was found to have more 15 cm! That makes about 2 mm in 1/72 and I still don't know if I will add them or not, as measuring a real airplane can led to big errors if not done properly. May be I'll add 1 mm after the wing and another mm in front.

I had already started some work on the wing. In the kit, the lower surface had anhedral in the center panel and dihedral on the outer ones. Not only the center panel is straight (at least between the two spars) but also the point where the dihedral starts is farther from the center. In plan view the wing is a complete disaster but fortunately the plastic is so thick that a new wing can be sculpted from the existing (only adding the moving surfaces at the back).

The anhedral problem I solved sanding the lower surface in a sheet of thick wet'n'dry paper on a plain surface. I also started the correction of the plan view and get rid on the dihedral on the upper surfaces so later I can bend them on the correct point.

Campini_2.jpg

Campini_3.jpg

Campini_4.jpg

I also started with the fuselage. I made a cut in the metal tube and cut also the plastic nose from the kit.

Campini_6.jpg

As you may see, this must be enlarged by more than 2 mm.

Campini_7.jpg

And that's all, folks! (for now...)

A cigar tube would be more appropriate but no, it's eau de toilette...

The Campini it's almost done ;-)

Campini_8.jpg

More seriously, I only have "ugly work" to show. I modified the lower wing according to the plans. Flaps, ailerons and tips must be scratchbuilt. Opened new wheel wells and glued two spars incorporating the correct dihedral in each upper surface. I will detail the wells a little based on photos, and that's why the half's are still separate.

Campini_10.jpg

Campini_11.jpg

Campini_12.jpg

For the tapering part of the nose I enlarged the kit part sandwiching plastic card in eight positions. As the extreme front would be too large, a raid to the spares box gave me an engine nacelle from a Frog Beaufighter whose opening was reduced inserting two rings made of plastic card. After turning they will look the part, I hope!

Campini_14.jpg

Campini_13.jpg

Thats all for now. I would like to show some progress this week, but I am neglecting the Beufighter and must finish those nacelles.

Carlos

• Like 1

Wow, so much work - makes me feel like a cop out with my little piece!!

Pete

Another small update. I continued with the rather boring work of correcting the nose and, to take a break from that, I also started with the interior.

Campini_15.jpg

It would be much easier and faster to turn a piece of balsa and vacuform two halves for the nose than following this way. Live and learn! For the tail cone I'll certainly do it. In the meantime I must spend some time filling, sanding, measuring, and do it again, and again, and again...

Campini_17.jpg

I marked the location of the cockpit and cut the limits. It would be better to make the front round, but I'll fix it later. The cockpit is inside a tub, as can be seen in the following image.

Campini_19.jpg

So I went again to the spares box and found this part of long forgotten origin

Campini_20.jpg

I cut it in half and narrowed it a little, put some notches at the extremes so I can open and close it and maintain the relative positions. That tub will support the interior parts that I am doing taking the book, but mainly this photos as reference: http://www.cmpr.it/Campini/Campini.htm

Campini_21.jpg

You don't need to count the holes, I admit I cheated a lot!

Hopefully next update will show the cockpit and the nose complete.

• Like 1