1/72 Revell Boeing P-26a Peashooter -completed - 13-10-13

paganpete

Here we go, the cutest little plane you ever did see (apart from the gannet AEW 3).

This is my contribution to the GB, a nice vintage mould; will be building primarily out of the box with maybe a few 'scratchies' courtesy of ideas from the ancient publication I have on the P-26a as well!

May even rig it, let's see how it goes!

Let's get this party STARTED.....in a few days...

p-26a-revell_zps1170573a.jpg

This was one of the first, or maybe the first aircraft I ever built, up to then it was Airfix AFV's.

I remember the color scheme for mine had a black and white stripe, which I did by hand.......was rather a horrible job, but thought at the time it was fantastic!

Will watch with interest as it will bring back memories for me!

Ok then chaps, we have lift off!

Only a little bit done today, less than I had hoped, (I had all my manly duties to do; shopping, making the bed, and cleaning the bathroom - while the boss was at the gym)!

build-pic-1_zpsc0500631.jpg

All I have really done is to add a few small bits of tubing to make the office look a bit less sparse (accuracy out of the window -big fingers, small model, nuff said), added a simple joystick on the tub floor - nice and easy stretched sprue additions.

I also had a bash at a really simple seatbelt harness for the tub chair (in keeping with the period of the plane); made up with fuse wire and masking tape.

And that's it for now - hopefully more tomorrow if possible, (painting the cockpit in Mr Metal aluminium; as that was the way the P-26 was, none of your fancy olive colours here, and weathering up the seatbelts).

Hope you are all getting to grips with your monstrous kits :winkgrin:

Pete

• Like 1

Evenin' all!

A bit more done so far; working on the engine block, you can't see it to be honest, but I used Mr color Iron then overpainted the metal with aquacolour aluminium. The white cylinder cover was painted with Vallejo Silvergrey, then highlighted with bog standard white and shaded with a steel colour, not great but ok for this size. The prop has been painted with Mr color iron and aluminium, then polished a bit.

Got the tub in, all painted in aluminium - put the seatbelts (with giant sized buckles) on, then I discovered the first hiccup of the kit - see pic...

Tomorrow I will be filling in the huge gap behind tub. also filling in the ejector pin marks on the underside of the fuselage; and hopefully doing a bit more on it!

Thanks for looking.

Pete

bp2_zps9e0b3ed3.jpg

Apologies once again for the awful camera phone pics, must buy a new camera!

More work done today (might as well do something on a week off)!

Main fuselage/wings ready for priming tomorrow, gaps top and underneath filled in with vallejo plastic putty and then sanded/buffed with MDC sticks!

Engine and cowl painted ready to go on the (eventually) completed model - prop has to have another coat of Mr Metal (not color as I stated previously) as I found a fingerprint.

The join between the wings and fuselage needed a bit of work as you will see from one of the pics, gaps and flash...can't beat them.

bp3-engine_zps031bb196.jpg

bp3-unders_zps4d0536f7.jpg

bp3-top_zpsa7dccfdc.jpg

Pete

I have already clocked them for future reference Space Ranger - I plan on doing more of these lovely little planes, would love to find out someone would redo 1/32 or 1/48 scale one!

Pete

No probs Sarge - even the new god is no use sometimes!

Pete

• Like 1

Slow progress tonight, decided to paint the yellow on the wings first before adding the darker blue to the rest of it...

...really not enamoured with the Lufthansa Yellow acrylic at all (Revell aquacolour - good paints tbh, but this yellow is not happening for me); so far I have put 7 (seven(SEVEN)) thin coats on at half hourly intervals, and, by the looks of it, there will be around another 4 or 5 tomorrow to get a decent colour depth to it.

Ho hum...

I get the same trouble with Revell's No.12 Yellow gloss, just does not build up the colour well. If you have some try a couple of coats of No.15 Yellow matt (nothing like the lid colour, more like Humbrol 24 Trainer yellow) followed by your Lufthansa yellow. This works for me every time, might be worth doing a test on something just in case the combo is too dark though.

Edited by Speedman

Thanks Speed/Pat, I will try a matt yellow (have a similar vallejo one) coat then back to the anaemic yellow; I am using a hairy stick Pat, but not enough to make it look like the marianas trench :yikes:

Pete

Well, the other matt yellow I used (vallejo deep yellow) helped a bit - still ended up with 11 coats of yellow overall - still not 100% happy with it but am leaving it as is now - let it dry a few days, mask off and paint the blue next (WONT need 11 coats for that)!

As a side, Paolo has just posted a 1/48 Academy P-26 up in RFI aircraft - give it a gander, it is superb!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947250-p-26-academy-148/

Pete

No chance of that Pat!

As a side, this hastily taken blurry picture shows what 11 coats of yellow looks like!

bp4-yellow_zps4b329f18.jpg

(aside from the masked off area, ready for the blue to go on).

Pete