1/72 Airfix P-51D update ### Finished 28-11-2013###

Arniec

Hi guys I will be doing a 1/72 Airfix P-51D from the early days. I bought it in a Matchbox box and after opening the lid I closed it very fast. :yikes: It's a little bit of a mix mash. an Airfix P-51 and some Matchbox decals. I don't know if i will use these decals. I will start this on and of if I have some time.

Foto's will follow later if I can put myself to open the box again.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

I have opened the box again and took some pictures. After that everything went very fast back into it.

Here are the pictures. There was even the original sealing from the airfix bag.

The Matchbox box.

IMG_5323_zps23850191.jpg

the Airfix content.

IMG_5324_zps92d0c30f.jpg

IMG_5325_zpsbd6aa7dc.jpg

IMG_5326_zps3fa7325e.jpg

IMG_5327_zps3bacd61a.jpg

All those rivets gives me the gibbers.

Cheers,

One of the best rivet pics i'v seen . Going to be intresting to see how the rivets in the group build look after a spray of paint as i expect that when these kits were first built most would have been given a rather thicker coat of paint with a brush.

• Like 1

If it's any help, I built an old boxing of the Matchbox Dooleybird recently and the decals were more than useable. They worked very well, in fact. ;)

One of the best rivet pics i'v seen . Going to be intresting to see how the rivets in the group build look after a spray of paint as i expect that when these kits were first built most would have been given a rather thicker coat of paint with a brush.

Ahh, an ample coating of gloopy Humbrol Silver Fox?

• Like 2

. :speak_cool: to the box art.

When I was young I always picked my models with the picture on the box. That's why I build a lot of Matchbox kits.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

When I was young I always picked my models with the picture on the box. That's why I build a lot of Matchbox kits.

Cheers,

I was the same Arnold, regardless of what the subject was, if the box art was full of fire and fury it got picked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys for no updates.

This model is on hold till after Telford. I am still very bussy to finish two models before we go there.

And it still gives me the creeps when I open the box. :door:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

No problems. This is worth waiting for.

If I can offer some advice, don't bother sanding off the rivets on the wings because its a little known fact that they improved the laminer flow over the wing. Not!!

Trevor

Hi guys, it's out of the box perminently. Be afraid, be very afraid. looks a lot like Haloween. :yikes:

After finishing yesterday my last project for Telford, I have managed to do some work today. The wings and tailplanes are now attached and is waiting to get curred so I can place some filler. there are quite large gaps between the wings and the fusleage.

The cockpit glas is just placed loose on the model to see how she looks. and in my oppinion this is a little bit large for the model. I will take a good look at that later.

O boy, where did I get into with this model. :hanging: Now I know why I never made a airfix kit in my youth. :banghead:

Here are some pictures.

IMG_5654_zps9ccf56fd.jpg

IMG_5655_zpsa982e17c.jpg

IMG_5656_zps0b07bed4.jpg

IMG_5657_zps04325643.jpg

As you have noticed in the last picture I have upgraded the kit a little bit. The air intake was so crude that I have made a spliting plate for it. It still isn't what it should be, but it looks a little bit better. I have also drilled some holes in the crude mg's to make it look better.

I also think that I am going to try to put the wheels up and the prop will loses it's blade like if it is flying.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

That looks slightly Mustang shaped Arnold. A bit like one of those 3/4 scale home builds powered by a car engine :lol: take it you have a big tube of filler?