Heller 1/72 SAAB 35 Draken

trickyrich

This is my bit of ancient plastic for the GB, though actually having a bit of a look at it it doesn’t look to bad!

Though this will be the fourth GB in a row when I start!! :banghead:

DSCF1042_zps9741ef93.jpg

Ok this WILL be an out of the box build, other than anything I can find in the spares box there’ll be no aftermarket bits.

I will be building the Recon version, the RF-35 in Danish Air Force service, so it’s a simple colour scheme but still need to be done right to replicate the actual aircraft.

Have a quite look at it, there seems to be no horrible bits, though the fuselage does seem to be a bit warped at the front, nothing too serious! :thumbsup:

DSCF1043_zps487ac24a.jpg

Unfortunately due to work commitments I won’t be able to make a start on this until late November (may be able to do little bits between the other builds), luckily it will be a quick build.

This is my bit of ancient plastic for the GB, though actually having a bit of a look at it it doesn’t look to bad!

Released in 1977. The Hasegawa kit was released in 1994. As you mentioned, the Heller kit is still quite nice.

This should be good. You can't go wrong with a Draken. :popcorn:

I really like the Heller Saab kits though sadly I don't have this one :weep: . I have got 2 Viggens, 3 Tunnans, a Lansen and a J-21A. I'm on the hunt as I want to do a twin seat Draken at some point. I have a Safir in the display case as well.

I'll be doing a Draken for this GB too, the even more ancient Airfix kit

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Another unusual subject. Nice choice Rich. Can't quite see from your photos on this tiny phone screen but does this one give both single& twin seat canopies?

Another unusual subject. Nice choice Rich. Can't quite see from your photos on this tiny phone screen but does this one give both single& twin seat canopies?

Hi Col,

It has both plus a lower clear section for the Recon version, actually does look like a really nice model to build!

• Like 1

Hi Col,

It has both plus a lower clear section for the Recon version, actually does look like a really nice model to build!

If it's anything like their other Saab kits it will be a nice kit. I've also built a few of Heller's Sabres and nearly finished a Javelin T3, all of them have been gems to build

I ain't jealous

Hi Col,

I always wanted this kit for those very reasons but the local shop never got any in when I was a kid. Later I wondered if Hasegawa would release a two seater from their mould but never did see it. Still wonder if the recon nose or twin seater parts from the Heller kit would fit the Hasegawa but never have seen one to buy yet.

I have one of these part way through the build, (its on the shelf of doom!)

It was donated by a friend who stopped modelling in 1/72. He had started it about 30 years ago, and I picked it up from there a couple of years ago.

All in all I like the kit a lot, not quite Hasegawa finesse, but charming all the same.

Built this kit a couple of years ago myself, when I just returned to modelling. Thought it was a lovely kit, just the canopy to be wary of,

plus I believe the fuel tanks sit a bit low, but otherwise I enjoyed building it so much I bought another.

PA240095.jpg?t=1379522450

Here's mine in Danish colours,

Sean

• 2 months later...

Hint hint.. Keep the twin seat stuff... The Hasegawa kit has the same layout and the Heller exterior stuff fits nicely on the Hasegawa. If you want to have correct drop tanks you can rip a Saab Gripen of its. When the RDAF retired its fleet of Drakens in 90's the entire stock pile of the Danish designed tanks was bought by the Swedes and used on the new Gripen. BTW the Danish Draken had 8 hardpoints total vs the 4 on standard Drakens. I have som photo's I took of one of the recce being Gateguard at the local airfield. If you need any

Thanks guys, will keep that in mind.

Hint hint.. Keep the twin seat stuff... The Hasegawa kit has the same layout and the Heller exterior stuff fits nicely on the Hasegawa. If you want to have correct drop tanks you can rip a Saab Gripen of its. When the RDAF retired its fleet of Drakens in 90's the entire stock pile of the Danish designed tanks was bought by the Swedes and used on the new Gripen. BTW the Danish Draken had 8 hardpoints total vs the 4 on standard Drakens. I have som photo's I took of one of the recce being Gateguard at the local airfield. If you need any

I noticed that they had extra hard points, even on the Recon birds, which is the version I'm building.

With my crazy work schedule/life I think I have only managed a couple of hours work on this!!!

Next off shift i'll try to get it done....though I might miss the cut off date, have a Tigercat from the Splendid Cats GB I have to complete as well.

Can say that for the age of this model it's actually not bad. See

m to remember that Heller models I build around this time were the equal or even better than some of the Airfix stuff!