Airfix A-4B VC-5

Hi Folks,

After staying away from GB's but not actually doing very much anyway I signed up for this GB.

My option is Airfix's cute little A-4B done in VC-5 markings found in Xtradecal X72-180 here http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72180 it's the first option on the sheet.

I'm also using Feightdog's replacement tanks and the Eduard Zoom set to tart up the cockpit, I'll hopefully get a chance to make a start tomorrow!

A-4stgb01.jpg

Obligatory picture of kit and references etc

Wez

Hey Wez.... looking forward to your build. Any clue what VC-5's role is? Was it a nuclear strike squadron? I've had a long interest concerning the VC squadrons.

Hi Neu,

According to the old Aviation News Warpaint No.3 (this Warpaint series pre-dates the current series by about 15 years by the way), by Lindsay Peacock, the Fleet Composite Squadrons employed "the A-4 alongside other types on such duties as target towing and communications, with several different marks frequently being flown by a single squadron".

VC-5 was based at Kadena in Okinawa.

As for the kit itself, I haven't had much time so mostly I've been cutting things off of sprues in preparation for painting but that won't be this weekend.

One thing I have been having a problem with are the intakes, I've tried to dry fit the starboard one to the fuselage, I'd heard they were a very good click fit but this is a no bloody way it's going to fit! It's definitely the right intake for the fuselage half but I'm buggered if I can get it to fit! Anybody else experienced this, anybody got any advice?

Wez

That's weird, it is true that they are a tight fit but I popped mine on and off a few times with no problems. Comparing the intakes and the fuselage halves, are there any noticeable differences? I'm just wondering if anything is slightly malformed.

Wez - I held mine sort of diagonally to the fuselage and then pushed in flush and they snapped in place and would never have snapped out I reckon. It's weird that people have such different experiences of building the new Airfix kits. I'm doing the Gnat and the fit is hateful. No-one else seems to have had any problems!!

Pat

• 1 month later...

Sorry folks, I've been suffering a serious loss of mojo and have frankly got nowhere with this so I'm withdrawing.

I have now got my mojo back but I won't have time to finish this model in time for the finish but given that I hadn't really started it it's no loss.

The good news is that i figured out the intake problem, if you don't follow the Airfix instructions and you just swap them over they fit a treat! Just snap in!

Good luck to the rest of you - I'm off to find something else to make!

Wez