GB Chat

Hi,

Can I join in with a Matchbox Lightning T.55?

Moulded in 1982 so I'm good on that point, and there are lots of new 1/72 Lightnings, and plenty of T conversions that are much better than this old Matchbox job!

Dan

Hi,

Can I join in with a Matchbox Lightning T.55?

Moulded in 1982 so I'm good on that point, and there are lots of new 1/72 Lightnings, and plenty of T conversions that are much better than this old Matchbox job!

Dan

That could prove a controversial choice.... There's still no direct replacement for it.... Much as it would be cool to have both types of Matchbox Lightning in the GB!

Enzo, what do you reckon?

That could prove a controversial choice.... There's still no direct replacement for it.... Much as it would be cool to have both types of Matchbox Lightning in the GB!

Enzo, what do you reckon?

Ok, let me know, keen to start tomorrow!

Dan

I think there is a valid argument for the Matchbox Lightning having been replaced by a more modern kit regardless of version.

I agree. Am I not correct in saying that the MB Lightning was originally an F6?

I agree. Am I not correct in saying that the MB Lightning was originally an F6?

Not sure whether they were ever in simultaneous production...

Having said that, I think we should let it in largely on the basis that [a] it is more than 30 years old and it's Matchbox, which in most cases meant it was gloriously obsolete the day it was released. It's got raised panel lines and clunky details, too...

Good choice Radleigh. It's not a bad kit for it's age and does look like aHuey once built. But then which scheme?

Colin

Sorry Colin, I missed this before. Unsure on scheme, definitely a Vietnam bird but I have no idea on schemes, something low viz if possible(?). I looked on Hannants earlier and there wasn't much to offer on the decal front.

Any help would be grateful.

Sorry Colin, I missed this before. Unsure on scheme, definitely a Vietnam bird but I have no idea on schemes, something low viz if possible(?). I looked on Hannants earlier and there wasn't much to offer on the decal front.

Any help would be grateful.

As I recall, this one's set up as a Huey Frog, rather than a Hog. Think there might be a Microscale option, if you can get hold of it. I'd love to see one done as one of the HAL-3 Sea Wolves (Joseph Osborn does some decals), but I don't believe they used quite this specification...

I'm in for sure. A Merlin Vampire T11/T55 is the preferred subject. It's an early Merlin product (kit 17) so from 1983-ish, utterly awful as is the standard for Merlin products and has been superseded by at least 3 kits (Aeroclub, CMR and the new Airfix)

• Like 1

Ok, I'm in with a Frog Javelin and maybe Airfix Gazelle if I get time, I assume both comply with the entry rules!

They do indeed!

I'm in for sure. A Merlin Vampire T11/T55 is the preferred subject. It's an early Merlin product (kit 17) so from 1983-ish, utterly awful as is the standard for Merlin products

I think you're being rather kind to Merlin. :lol:

Enzo's yer man, and he seems to be saying yes...

Yep! :thumbsup:

I'm in for sure. A Merlin Vampire T11/T55 is the preferred subject. It's an early Merlin product (kit 17) so from 1983-ish, utterly awful as is the standard for Merlin products and has been superseded by at least 3 kits (Aeroclub, CMR and the new Airfix)

THE HORROR!!!! :gobsmacked:

As I'm doing the Hobby Craft 1/48th equivalent perhaps we should form a support group :yikes: I remember a comment at the time that you had to be Merlin to assemble them. In my case Merlin 3 Nick 1 I never brought No.5 :thumbsup:

It has also been superseded by anything else with a twin boom and jetpipe which could, probably, be converted easier than building this :rofl:

Regarding the Matchbox Lightning both were in the catalogue togeather for a while then the F6 faded away. PK-114 released 1975, then re-released 1997 as 40152 by Revell. T-55 PK-126 released 1982. So it looks as though moulds for both options were concurrent. Thanks to Scalemate.