GB Chat

Is it too late to join in with a couple of Blenheims ? Airfix I appreciate is still in production, but will be built along side a Frog one ?

Cheers

Well both the Airfix and Frog kits are over 30 years old so pass Rule 1. I'm sure there is a more modern tooling available (MPM of similar perhaps?) so they also pass Rule 2. Therefore you're in fella. Start any time you like ;)

• Like 1

Guys this group build is turning out to be a joy to take part in I have hellers hawk on the go as well as airfix,s 88mm A T gun and tractor just

about there on both counts and would like another go what in my stash is eligable? Airfix bofors gun/tractor,Spitfire vb,westland whirlwind

(bilek) Hasegawa crusader/corsair(old boxing).Ok ITS A SMALL STASH!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Got to agree, it's great fun. :thanks:

Steve.....If you do the Bofors, grab the appropriate etched brass sight from Dan Taylor Modelworks, theyre all of £2-3 and they really do improve the model no end (I picked up a couple of sets when I got the bits for my Sherman). :nerd:

Reckon I might start a second build too as I've just realised that the excellent Matchbox/Revell LRDG Set is eligible.....Dragon have repopped it (for silly money), it's donkeys old (but it's still the best) and I've actually never built it before! :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1

Got to agree, it's great fun. :thanks:

Steve.....If you do the Bofors, grab the appropriate etched brass sight from Dan Taylor Modelworks, theyre all of £2-3 and they really do improve the model no end (I picked up a couple of sets when I got the bits for my Sherman). :nerd:

Reckon I might start a second build too as I've just realised that the excellent Matchbox/Revell LRDG Set is eligible.....Dragon have repopped it (for silly money), it's donkeys old (but it's still the best) and I've actually never built it before! :D

Has the bofors been re-done and is it eligable?

WOW! that was just a memory headrush, the old Matchbox LRDG set !, the Morris & 17 pdr, Monty's caravan. Hell there are some good memories there.

The only one I never built was the Diamond T tank transporter.

Steve

Hi Ho!

I have had to rethink my plans owing to life and a deluge of information on the Ansaldo which is going to become a major project. So.....

My lovely wife is having to zip off back to the UK on Friday for a week at short notice and to break this bad news to me she came home armed with the latest boxing of Airfix's venerable Grumman Duck (#A30301). So this will be my first entry if Enzo allows it!

IIRC it was first released in 1967(?) and has been superseded (if that is the right term) by Pavla. The only problem is that, rivets, legless gunners, flash, ejector pins, etc., it still looks like a rather nice kit. So Enzo, can I?

I have been looking through the Mike Grant books and think I will do a small amount of improvement, as illustrated in his books, and leave it at that.

I have a lovely wife...

Happy modelling,

Christian the Married and Exiled to Africa

• Like 2

Airfix's venerable Grumman Duck

So Enzo, can I?

I absolutely insist on it! As you say, originally issued in 1968 and replaced by a Pavla kit a few years ago.

I remember getting this kit as a young lad. It was at a Christmas party and Father Christmas had given myself and a friend an Airfix kit each. Excited, we had ripped open the parcels only to both be a little disappointed. I had received a Bf110. It looked a little too sleek and appeared to be an easy build. Besides the colour scheme was just green on top and blue underneath. I wanted something a little more challenging.

My friend was also disappointed. He had received the Duck. He didn't want a biplane. It was just too slow and boring. He was jealous of my fast Messerschmitt - especially as it had all guns blazing on the box art.

So we swapped. No one was any the wiser and two young lads were a lot happier.

• Like 1

Guys this group build is turning out to be a joy to take part in I have hellers hawk on the go as well as airfix,s 88mm A T gun and tractor just

about there on both counts and would like another go what in my stash is eligable? Airfix bofors gun/tractor,Spitfire vb,westland whirlwind

(bilek) Hasegawa crusader/corsair(old boxing).Ok ITS A SMALL STASH!

The Spitfire Vb is certainly eligable having been tooled in 1974 and replaced by several kits including the Tamiya one.

Is your Westland Whirlwind the Bilek boxing?

I absolutely insist on it!

Cheers Enzo!

Right I will be kissing my lovely wife off on Friday night at Kenya international forest of tents airport, so will start this weekend. Just to console me and keep me busy whilst Yvonne is away :wicked:;)

(Note to out-laws; How does 2 weeks with eldest daughter sound?)

Christian the Married and exiled to Africa

The Spitfire Vb is certainly eligable having been tooled in 1974 and replaced by several kits including the Tamiya one.

Is your Westland Whirlwind the Bilek boxing?

It certainly is,and very nicely moulded,I have heard it is their own canopy.

Well as my Matchbox Sabre is nearing the finish line I have been thinking of a second build. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of old kits. But I think this one might be ok. It is an Airfix Aichi D3A1 ‘VAL’. I think the kit was first released in 1964. So is this ok.

DSC_0220_zps643aa8c7.jpg

• Like 1

Airfix Aichi D3A1 ‘VAL’. I think the kit was first released in 1964. So is this ok.

First released in 1965. As Speedman said, there have been kits by Fujimi (1983) and Cyber Hobby (2012). Also by ZTS Plastyk in 2005.

It's in! :thumbsup:

Get started Woody! Even I'm having a go and getting on nicely!

What happened to that helicopter you was building a while ago, the one that was derelict ?

I loved the weathering on that but don't remember seeing it finished

What happened to that helicopter you was building a while ago, the one that was derelict ?

I loved the weathering on that but don't remember seeing it finished

It's tucked away at the moment... I'm stressing the skin as I'm changing the colours. It's going to be overall Russian green with faded, beaten up old paint work :)