Wessex HU5, 1/48, 848 NAS, HMS Albion

jenko

Latest in my bench clear up. This is the Italeri HU5 kit with Scale Warship blade fold detail set.

The kit goes together quite well. However I feel they rushed this one out without the quality control I would expect of a new kit. For example decals that are meant to say "no hand hold" read "no and hold" ..........even my spelling is not that bad !! I had to use a lot of filler around the nose area as the fit was poor.

Now the Scale Warship blade fold set is a belter. Some of the best etched brass I have ever used. However the instructions leave a little to be desired as the photo's on it are dark and blurred in places. Good photographic references are essential when doing the fold.

As for the markings................that was an easy one. This aircraft is still around and is on display at the Manston History Museum. (Now painted yellow to represent the ASR choppers that flew from Manston). I see it every month as we have our club meetings there.

Anyway on to the pic's. Hope you enjoy. Comments are always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

DPP_0003_zpsdb1ebf81.jpg

DPP_0002_zps40aba37e.jpg

DPP_0001_zpsbc469112.jpg

DPP_0005_zps0719ab59.jpg

DPP_0008_zps5c1d20c2.jpg

DPP_0004_zpsa2aade39.jpg

• Like 12

Very nice indeed, the Scale Warships parts look good. Congratulations. As you say it looks like a rush job on Italeri's part and certainly no excuse for the smellig mistooks op the decal sheet! I think Italeri need to revisit the kit and sort out the shortcomings.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Much appreciated.

Ant, I used Tamiya acrylic; the first time I've used them on an aircraft................converted.............that is when I've used up all my Xtra colour enamels.

Lovely job on the Wessex. I like the colour scheme in particular........Don't see many in this scheme although it brings back childhood memories for me, seeing these racing over the tops of the Palm Trees in the gardens of our Military Quarters in Singapore in the late 1960s !....Thanks for sharing this with us.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh, I missed this one.

Cool colour scheme, and the folded rotor blades give a point of difference.

Very nice indeed.

I'm still waiting for these kits to hit the shops in NZ. I guess you fellas oop North have bought up all the stock ! Can't blame you really :winkgrin:

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...