- AN HEAVY RESTAURATION URGENTLY REQUIRED

- While cleaning my garage I have had the curiousity to open a crate containing a diorama I built in the late nineties. I cannot wait to share with you.

-The photos are taken under the urgency, right on the spot, so their quality gives something to be desired, I hope you won't mind.

-The scale is 48.....the hull is made of wood,, the deck and lift in resin and most of the details , Oerlikon guns, rafts and many others, are scratch built......I was courageous in those days........

013.jpg
012-1.jpg

011-1.jpg
010.jpg
009-1.jpg

008-1.jpg
007.jpg

006-1.jpg
005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg
001-1.jpg
003.jpg
  • Like 7

Amazing what you can find buried deep in the garage :wow:

Not really one you can put on top of the TV to impress the post man either.

Looks pretty much intact ? is there much resto to do ?

- The heaviest job is around the lift. with time passing the resin of the deck has bent so the underneath structure has followed and equally suffered. To be true the whole has to be changed, added to this are many repairs on the planes but it is not the most difficult task, some sailors are having a nap, no problem to wake them up......What's missing yet ? for sure the time and may be a real will to do the job......

• Like 1

That is a truly awesome build. It's old and ruff but I would be proud to have built it and would love to have that sitting in the corner of my modeling room on display! LOVE IT! :wub:

• Like 1

Blooming heck, how on earth did you forget you still had it !

It must have taken ages and what was the story of doing it in 1/48 as I would have thought that 1/72 would have been challenging enough :thumbsup:

Really great job, which as an earlier poster said should be in a museum so others can see it.

That is really cool. I'm so impressed with that effort. I might think twice about trying to restore. It's an interesting document showing what you were doing back then and maybe should be left as part of the historical record. I've unfortunately lost more than a few good models that I built way back in days of yore that I wish I still had because I thought I would go back and make some "improvements." Particularly I remember a Heinkel 219 that I scratch built in 1/48 in about 1965. Some years later I became obsessed with the fact that I had positioned the wing about 1/2 inch too far back and finally couldn't stand it any longer and took it apart to try to change that. I never got it back together and eventually it disappeared. I wish I had left well enough alone and still had it. Be careful.

Edited by Niles
  • Like 1

- I really never forget it as each time I climb in my car I see this huge box supporting a lot of smaller other ones containing a FW 200 in its wooden bomb splinter protection walls," the elephant graveyard ",a FW 187 all in 48 and an He 111 in 32 scale dioramas. I simply was reluctant to open it.....All of which had already been posted here in this forum....Its is possible that one of these days I should take the decision to restaur it....futur wil see and you will be warned of it.

Whatever thanks a lot for you elogious comments