Focke Wulf Ta.152C-11 - 1:48 Hobby Boss

Mike

After thinking I'd completed this this avo, it turns out I hadn't! :doh:

This is the new HB kit from our friends at Creative Models, reviewed here, with Eduard's set of Photo-Etch flaps and some spare pre-painted PE seat belts pinched from a 109 to replace the somewhat oversized kit PE. The build was pretty straight forward, even cutting the wings and thinning the edges to accommodate the flap set, which was pleasant :)

Paints were Lifecolor, with my own mix of RLM81, that adds a little extra brown tinge to the shade to differentiate it from 82 better. Matt varnish was Alclad's Flat Varnish, which is my staple varnish these days. The horrendously heavy exhaust staining was a mixture of Tamiya smoke and NATO brown, and I used Mig oils to add some streaks here and there. The wheels and lower parts of the landing gear were given a wash of Mig European Dust to simulate some muddy residue, toned down by rubbing my fingers over the surface. I caved in and bought some QuickBoost exhausts, but other than those items, it's TOTALLY out of the box! :lol:

Can't think of anything else, so on with the pictures! :photo:

complete1.jpg

complete2.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete4.jpg

complete5.jpg

complete6.jpg

complete7.jpg

complete8.jpg

complete9.jpg

A thoroughly enjoyable build to follow on from the slightly tricky Me.262 I did last (here), and as soon as the long winged versions are kitted by Hobby Boss, I'll be getting one, plus a Quickboost corrected Annular radiator cowling, which is a must in hindsight. :)

If you're interested, the build thread is here. Next up is the new Meng FT-17 and Eduard Jugs over Germany reboxing of the Academy P-47D in 1:48. Work is already underway and I'll be starting a thread soon ;)

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 7

Thanks again... Sorry for the disappointment of Paul beating you to the punch-line Nigel - I'll have a quiet word with him :fight: Incidentally, I'm hoping that the aerial will calm down a bit over time, under the gentle auspices of gravity. I meant to use smoke coloured invisible mending thread instead of the clear, but it looks kind of silvery, so I'm not too bothered :)

BTW - if you closed the canopy, the aerial would be taut - that's how it was glued initially to make sure it was the right length :smartass:

I think I am right in saying that some had spring tensioners so the wire remained taught with the canopy slid open. That's how I made my Fw190 as I couldn't bear the thought of a floppy wire even if technically accurate. Another one of those aesthetics over strict accuracy for me.

The floppy wire thing is interesting, to an uninformed lay person seeing such a thing on a model, he would probably assume the modeller had made some glaring build error. My aversion to it (apart from the practicalities of getting it to sit properly etc.) indicate that I build models for others to look at and not just for myself.

Edited by Nigel Heath

No idea Nigel - Ta.152 will be along shortly to confirm or deny that rumour, I'm sure :)

Better late than never! You have the wire correct Mike, there were no tensioners fitted to the canopy so the wire hung down when the canopy was opened.

I'd say that your exhaust staining is quite restrained, it certainly isn't over the top, looks good though.

I've given up on the Alclad Matt as mine never ever dried fully.

I'm sorry I always seemed to be one step behind you pointing things out in your WIP thread.

A great looking 152.