Saab J 29F Tunnan - AZ Models 1/48

Bjorn

Here are a few more pics on the Tunnan that I posted earlier today on the WIP section:

DSC_0554_zps6187cfa3.jpg

F 4-53 or 29507 was the last Tunnan in service. Although the Swedish Tunnans were taken out of service in the late sixties, this one was kept in flying condition until 1976 when it did its last flights during the 50-year celebration of the Swedish Air Force.

DSC_0553_zpsc12da231.jpg

Before that, it served for a couple of years as target-tug, the yellow day-glow panels were applied at that time.

DSC_0546_zps5335b6a8.jpg

Pictures from the build can be found here. It was more of an experiment, to see if it was possible to create something that is more similar to the real thing than AZ's disappointing model.

DSC_0564_zps3255bb3b.jpg

Apart from the nose, the main landing gears had to be corrected, they are about 3 mm too long. The nose whel also had to be replaced since the one in the box is far too small.

DSC_0538_zpsab000c32.jpg

DSC_0548_zpsa219293d.jpg

AZ have announced a new Tunnan. I hope they have better luck next time...

DSC_0560_zps9e89ba1e.jpg

• Like 2

Fantastic work creating a model similar to a J 29F out of that disaster. Respect, Björn!

Though you seem to have concentrated on correcting the most obvious problems, that under-fuselage profile continuous curve is rather painful to see. Surprisingly to many (including SAAB's original 'artist's impression' sketches), the Tunnan belly is dead straight for the most part. You can't really trust most scale drawings on that account, either, but just google some photos.

Also, AZ apparently made a hash out of the J 29F fatter afterburner shape, since the fuselage seems to fit the 'A' model drawing rather well.

It was news to me that AZ is planning to atone for their sins by having another try. I do hope that they get it reasonably right this time, including the ventral profile (my pet subject – did you guess?).

Very capable modelling in plain view!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks! And you're right, my intention was only to create something that at least looks like a Tunnan - which the AZ one does not. But correcting the belly and the afterburner (and lots of other things too) would be a huge project, and I rather wait to see if they can make something better next time.

Great, how yours turned out!

The canopy solution really looks the part!

I hope you don't mind if i go on a little futher in details to be not too correct on the AZ model. I borrowed on of you pictures for that purpose.

hopefully someone will find an easy solution to take care of it just like your canopy surgery! :)

if you have any objections I will remove it imediately!

@ Spitfire31

Fantastic work creating a model similar to a J 29F out of that disaster. Respect, Björn!

Though you seem to have concentrated on correcting the most obvious problems, that under-fuselage profile continuous curve is rather painful to see. Surprisingly to many (including SAAB's original 'artist's impression' sketches), the Tunnan belly is dead straight for the most part. You can't really trust most scale drawings on that account, either, but just google some photos.

Also, AZ apparently made a hash out of the J 29F fatter afterburner shape, since the fuselage seems to fit the 'A' model drawing rather well.

It was news to me that AZ is planning to atone for their sins by having another try. I do hope that they get it reasonably right this time, including the ventral profile (my pet subject – did you guess?).

Very capable modelling in plain view!

Kind regards,

Joachim

one of the more glaring discrepancies for me is the upper fuselage kink. compared to photos AND drawings it is too far in the front on the AZ model. It should actually be exactly? at the panel line in rear direction

DSC_0564_zps3255bb3b.jpg

in red the "should be" contour, black arrow denoting the "should be" fuselage break position

Tunnan_zps0e9600c4.png

2 pictures form internet to show what I mean:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SAAB_J29_Tunnan_.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tunnan_at_Malmen_2010-06-13_1.jpg

cheers, exdraken

Great, how yours turned out!

The canopy solution really looks the part!

I hope you don't mind if i go on a little futher in details to be not too correct on the AZ model. I borrowed on of you pictures for that purpose.

hopefully someone will find an easy solution to take care of it just like your canopy surgery! :)

if you have any objections I will remove it imediately!

@ Spitfire31

one of the more glaring discrepancies for me is the upper fuselage kink. compared to photos AND drawings it is too far in the front on the AZ model. It should actually be exactly? at the panel line in rear direction

in red the "should be" contour, black arrow denoting the "should be" fuselage break position

Tunnan_zps0e9600c4.png

2 pictures form internet to show what I mean:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SAAB_J29_Tunnan_.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tunnan_at_Malmen_2010-06-13_1.jpg

cheers, exdraken

You're quite right! The plastic is rather thick, so I guess it is possible to sand the upper fuselage to the right shape - probably easier to correct than the belly... Maybe it would be easier to convert it to a J 29A, B or E?