Revell USS Voyager NCC-74656

As the paint schemes for the Enterprise E and the Voyager are very similar, I will be working on both projects at the same time.

The ship is fully assembled and ready for hull painting to begin.

The display stand is painted in a mix of Revell aqua colour Silver and Tamiya acrylic Gold.

Progress photos to follow.

• Like 1

Here is tonight's update.

Display Stand (painted in Revell Aqua colour Silver and Tamiya Gold)

DSCN0109_zps84aec320.jpg

Hull in Light Grey

DSCN0110_zps63076a3b.jpg

More work to come, however I am working away this weekend, so progress will probably be almost non-existent between now and next week.

These were all painted with brushes.

Comments welcome.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

• 3 months later...

After a very long break, here is the fully completed grey paint job on the Voyager's hull.

Upper surface:

Voyagertop_zps5f5175f5.jpg

Bottom surface :

Voyagerbottom_zpsd5fb8343.jpg

I am now in a position to begin adding colour to the various components that require it.

I am also going to be getting my Enterprise E kit to this same position so I can do both kits.

If at all possible, I would like to have them finished by the end of December 31st, so I can add them to my 2013 yearbook and finally call them completed.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

• 1 month later...

Well after another long break in which I completed several other models, I am finally back to work on this kit.

I have applied the paint to the phaser strips (both dorsal and ventral) along with the clear blue paint for the deflector dish inner area andthe warp nacelle plasma vvents.

Photos to come when more progress has been made (not much to see at the moment).

Rick

• Like 1

Here are the photos of today's progress :

Phasers (Dorsal surface) :

Phaserstop_zps2a12cea6.jpg

Phasers (Ventral surface):

Phasersbottom_zps9be491e8.jpg

Deflector Dish Interior & Torpedo launchers (paint on torpedo launchers to be touched up) :

Deflectordish_zps9cc11da0.jpg

Port Nacelle (Clear red to be applied in bussard collectors) :

PortNacelle_zpse768bdaa.jpg

Starboard Nacelle (Clear Red to be applied to bussard collectors) :

StarboardNacelle_zps941da979.jpg

I have actually painted the actual deflector dish as well, I am waiting for that to dry and will then be gluing it into place.

I will be trying to get clear red working on the bussard collectors over the next few days, I might use the Tamiya clear red if I have any left after my Iron Man kit.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

Rick

• Like 1

Like Plasmahal, I too have several of these. I got the S.E with the nice badge Revell did in the late 90's, with the nice decal sheet, & 2 of the repop from 2 years ago.

Nice colour on the phaser emitters!

Don't know if you'd be interested, but the ParaGrafix P.E set has ready to go Transporter emitters & some nice "tart-up" parts for the warp core covers, that it's not too late to fit.

http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?MainCat=Subject&SubCat=Star%20Trek&PPartNum=PGX142

Window parts look a bit redundant tho....!

• Like 1

Good re-start. Lots of info on these models for painting references.

I have 2 in my stash. One of the original boxing's and the fairly recent re-pop which is allegedly based on the special edition they did many years ago.

Thanks, I am using the Revell paint colour chart for the reference for painting.

I had one of the original releases from the 90's which unfortunately got broken and this is the re-release that was done several years ago.

Like Plasmahal, I too have several of these. I got the S.E with the nice badge Revell did in the late 90's, with the nice decal sheet, & 2 of the repop from 2 years ago.

Nice colour on the phaser emitters!

Don't know if you'd be interested, but the ParaGrafix P.E set has ready to go Transporter emitters & some nice "tart-up" parts for the warp core covers, that it's not too late to fit.

http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?MainCat=Subject&SubCat=Star%20Trek&PPartNum=PGX142

Window parts look a bit redundant tho....!

This is the re-release from 2 or 3 years ago.

I don't know if I will fit lots of P.E. to it as I don't want it looking to different to the E-E and Into Darkness Enterprise that I have got to work on especially as I will be getting another couple of starships after this (the TOS Enterprise and the USS Defiant).

The phaser emitter colour is actually Revell Enamel Beige , I was a bit uncertain about it at the start, but now that its dried it does like right.

I have actually got the box art from this one behind the area where I do all my painting, so it helps me with referencing the colours.

Thanks for the comments guys. More progress will be forthcoming.

Rick

• Like 1

I have done a couple of minutes work on Voyager tonight.

I have fitted in place the main navigational deflector dish which I painted at the weekend. I took a picture of it which I will post when I am on my laptop next.

I might be able to do more work on the ship over the next few days, so will keep posting as colour goes on the ship.

The main sections of colour to be applied to the ship are the auxiliary deflector, warp nacelle bussard collectors, RCS thrusters and sensor pallets. I am concerned about painting the sensor pallets as they are very small pieces with lots of small individual colour segments.

Thanks for looking. More progress to follow.

Rick

• Like 1

Here is the photo of last night's tiny little bit of progress.

MainDeflector_zpsc758b83d.jpg

I have to say it is really nice to see this kit coming together properly. Now its time to head off to work :weep: I want to do more on Voyager today but oh well.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 2

That's looking great and you're putting a lot of effort into it and a great paint job, so please don't take this the wrong way.....

the seams below the deflector dish and on the stand spoil an otherwise lovely build....sorry

• Like 1

That's looking great and you're putting a lot of effort into it and a great paint job, so please don't take this the wrong way.....

the seams below the deflector dish and on the stand spoil an otherwise lovely build....sorry

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your kind comments and pointing out the problem below the deflector dish.

I am overall happy with this build the way it is going.

Unfortunately the stand is a 2 piece build, the seam on the stand is actually built into the piece itself and when I built this model up several years ago, I didn't have a clue about sanding things to make them neat.

I have to say I hadn't actually looked at the seam below the deflector dish that closely, but i will have a look at doing something about it, the next i work on this kit, which i don't think will be till next week. It seems after searching for google images of other people's Revell kits that this problem isn't actually limited to my build, but has happened to other people as well.

Comments and observations are always welcome.

Rick

This project is going onto the back burner for a little while.

I am going to be making my Red Arrows Hawk my priority project as I want to get it painted and finished.

Whilst I am waiting for the paint on that to dry, I will be doing some of the paint work on this kit.

Rick

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back to work on this today as my Red Arrows Hawk is drying after preparing all of the components for it.

I have watched bits of a Voyager episode this morning which shows the sensor pallets on the hull and have decided that I am not going to paint them like this picture from the Revell website as it appears from the episode I have just watched that the sensor pallets are not actually painted with different colours on the elements, just a darker gray :

6eda6e104d_zps542cfbc3.jpg

Image source : Revell Germany

I am hoping to have all of the paintwork done on this kit today, along with a good start on the decals. I will also be working on the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E that I have ongoing as well, as my stash is getting large and would like to finish some of the part built kits as soon as possible.

Photos of progress later today.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

• Like 1

Loads of progress already today on this :

1) Sensor pallets painted

2) Auxiliary deflector painted

3) RCS Thruster packs painted

4) Bussard collectors painted (Tamiya clear red used instead of Revell clear red)

Photos to follow tonight, I will be working on the painting of the bridge area in a couple of hours once all of the above is dry enough to allow me to work on the hull again.

Thanks again for looking.

Rick

• Like 1

Painting is completed. Hard to believe how long it has taken me to get this far, but I am really happy with the way the Voyager now looks.

I did make a couple of switch arounds on the paint colour instructions from Revell to ones more compatible with the studio model, but I think it has worked out very nicely.

Anyway onto the pictures.

Stern_zpsee5d71d4.jpg

BowOn_zps06d665b8.jpg

LookDown_zps14c88c66.jpg

Excuse the glossy area directly above the bridge windows in this picture, this is where the paint had just been applied at the time of the photograph as part of the touching up process.

3quarterfront_zpsa9b18da9.jpg

This next photo shows the next task once the paint on this ki is completely dry : DECALS

Decals_zps8f0aedac.jpg

I have also taken my USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E kit from the storage tub it was in and put it on the desk ready to be worked on, so I can get it finished ASAP as well.

More progress photos in a few days once the decals have been started on.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

• Like 1

Looking great Rick! Looking forward to seeing more work in progress shots! Keep up the good work!

That will be tonight.

As the weekend is almost here, I will be making an effort to get this kit into a ready for inspection thread by Sunday.

Rick

• Like 1

Here is the update photos showing the first 15 of the decals applied to the kit.

I have got the following decals installed from front to back : Auxulilary deflector, transporter emitters (8 of them - 6 on top, 2 on bottom), name & registration number, red stripes down the hull, warp nacelle upper markings and shuttlebay markings.

Full hull from the front :

HullBowOn_zps08272d49.jpg

Bow Markings closeup :

BowMarkings_zps60587be4.jpg

Full Hull Stern On:

HullSternOn_zpse9d295e6.jpg

Stern Markings Zoomed Out:

Sternzoomedout_zps16c28af9.jpg

Stern Markings Closeup :

Sterncloseup_zps7e6ed735.jpg

Thats all of the photos for the moment.

I have decided that all of the tiny decals from this kit are not going to be used as I feel they will make the kit too busy.

I will be installing the phaser emitter markings, lifeboat markings and a few others but not many more than that.

Final photos tomorrow in the Ready for Inspection section.

I am really pleased with the way the Voyager now looks, it is really nice to see her almost complete after so long working on her.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

• Like 1

Well its not even 10 am yet and the first 11 decals have been applied already.

I have applied the left side escape pod decals and main phaser markings when you look at the hull in the bow on picture in the post above.

There are going to be more photos in this thread due to the sheer number of decals to be applied.

Rick

Here is today's update.

I haven't done as much on this kit today as I would have liked as I took the wife to Brighton for the day. Didn't buy any kits as there isn't a model shop in Brighton City centre anymore.

Anyway onto the pictures, realy happy with this.

Saucer section decals full :

Saucerdecals_zps1507bbee.jpg

Escape Pod Decals Side 1 (with main phaser array markings):

EscapePodDecals1_zpsb2c850c6.jpg

Escape Pod Decals Side 2 (No main phaser array markings):

EscapePodDecals2_zps36688b4c.jpg

Thanks for looking. More decal progress tomorrow evening after work (hopefully).

Rick

• Like 1