Prototype Spitfire K5054 Cockpit and Propeller Colour Questions

Mark Copeland

Hello Everyone!!

I wanted to post an inquiry regarding the Prototype Spitfire K5054 and a few questions regarding the cockpit and paint colors.

I was beginning to compile some information on the Spitfire K5054 to begin the 1/72nd Czechmasters resin kit. I want to build the model and finish it as it appeared on March 5th, 1936, when "Mutt" Summers took her up on it's maiden test flight.

Cockpit Colours: I was going to paint the seat in natural metal and the general cockpit in normal RAF Interior Green. Would that be correct? The research that I have done so far indicates that the instument panel would have been black and the red-brown boxlite seat wasn't in play at the time of the first flight. It was a metal seat, correct???

Sutton Harness: Would the Type 300 have a normal RAF Sutton Harness installed or a more conventional seat belt arrangement?

Propeller Blades: Colour of the blades??? I was going to go with a light gray???

Anyone have any ideas on these questions. I have seen the replica model on display at the Tangmere Aviation Museum and the mock-up at Eastleigh Airfield. I have always had a love affair with this airplane and finally I am getting off my keester to build it!!

Thank you all very much for the help!!

Mark Copeland

Lakeville, Minnesota USA

HI Mark

I hope this does not seem rude, but there are 2 or 3 in this 'interwar' section alone on the Spitfire Prototype.

The search here has got better, but I find google often works better try 'britmodeller spitfire prototype' to start.

for example - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935724-spitfire-prototype-cockpit-information-please/

and this one in particular - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59535-the-spitfire-prototype-definitive-thread/

I've not got time to go and refresh my memory, but there is a lot of good info in these, and quite probably answers to questions you didn't know you wanted to ask!

Plus some fascinating unanswered ones!

Have a read, and I'm sure other who know more can give you more specific answers.

HTH

T

• Like 1