Dragon 1:9 Iron Man Mark VII

Hi everyone,

I am not starting on this kit just yet but do need some advice.

When I bought this kit, I was advised to buy the following paints : Tamiya Clear Red, Gold, Silver and Titanium Silver.

I am slightly concerned about the Titanium Silver colour which I was told to use as a base colour for the kit. Now I remember from the original Iron men movie that Tony Stark had the suit made out of a gold titanium alloy. Does that mean I should be using the Titanium Gold colour instead of the Titanium Silver as a base colour ?

Hope someone can advise especially if you have built this kit ?

Cheers and all the best,

Rick

Have a look at my build thread of the Moebius Iron man here:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234941441-moebius-iron-man-mark-vi/

I tried Titanium gold as the first attempt at a base layer, but it didn't work out very well. Titanium Silver worked a lot better!

Thanks very much, I see what you mean about the Titanium Silver working as a better base, so have stuck with that. Nice looking kit by the way.

not sure , but a good place for refs, would take a look at Airfix modelling World (within the last 3 months) he built the same model...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of this issue of the magazine ? I have so far tried Asda and Morrison's and neither have it. I am really interested in seeing this feature.

All the best,

Rick

Thanks to swordfish fairey for scanning a copy of the article for this build for me.

Trouble is coming. I am about to watch Iron Man 3 (arrived early again thanks to preordering on Tesco), this is probably going to make me want to make this kit, so I might possibly be starting it tomorrow.

Did you prime it before painting it Titanium, or just gone for it on the bare plastic?

Just gone for it on the bare plastic. I did prepare the model for painting by giving it a warm water wash with a small amount of washing up liquid.

I have only painted the actual armour pieces, not the interior armature pieces.

I gave it 2 coats of the Titanium Silver last night. I will get some photos tonight.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Here is tonight's update.... all painted in 2 coats of Tamiya Titanium Silver - never used it before.

All painted using brushes.

Sprues ;

DSCN0102_zpsd9e459c9.jpg

DSCN0104_zps930109d4.jpg

DSCN0103_zps04f731cd.jpg

DSCN0106_zps45a8bc32.jpg

Iron Man's Faceplate :

DSCN0105_zpsef38d4ab.jpg

I think the next stage will be to begin assembly of the kit, prior to add the Clear Red (Tamiya), Gold (Tamiya) and Silver (Revell Aqua Colour).

I never realised Acrylic paint could smell that strong.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Hi Rick,

I really should have posted my WIP earlier as I have now finished my illuminated Iron Man MkIII from Moebius.

I was going to describe all the phases as well as add the pics.

The paint stages were as follows:

• Cut ALL pieces off the sprues (not that many anyway) & place into a 18 ice cube tray
  • Wash all pieces in washing up water - clean!
  • Kitchen towel dry, then put aside to air dry
  • Airbrush prime using Alclad grey primer inside & out
  • Airbrush Vallejo Model Air 'Black' on all insides - chest, hands, head & face mask

Now as I have drilled holes & prepped for LED's, I had to wire all mine up, so I'll go onto the construction phase of it.....

• Construct Iron Man as you would normally - LEAVING OFF HIS MASK!!
  • Airbrush Alclad 'Pale Gold' all over - EVERYWHERE INCLUDING HIS MASK
  • Mask the areas that will stay gold & go over the edges with a cotton bud, then a toothpick to really seal down those edges
  • Airbrush Alclad 'Transparent Red' over the whole body
  • Remove the masks & you're done

As you have the MkVI armour, I would use Alclad 'Aluminium' for the steel colour. Again, after masking your gold, mask this off, spray your Aluminium, mask that off, then your red.

I will do my tutorial when I get 5 mins (maybe the end of this week) as it's quite detailed as I have lit Mr Stark up!

I have added a pic as a teaser for you.......

Please also bear in mind that ALL brush strokes WILL be more evident after you have sprayed your Transparent Red!

ATB

DSC_9072_zps48b12745.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Rick, cheers for the comment mate.

As for the list of parts required, if you can wait till either Thursday or Friday, I'll do it then....work commitments mate!

It's a hell of a fiddle though mate, so be prepared!!!

ATB

Hi Rick, cheers for the comment mate.

As for the list of parts required, if you can wait till either Thursday or Friday, I'll do it then....work commitments mate!

It's a hell of a fiddle though mate, so be prepared!!!

ATB

Hi Riggers,

That's fine, I can wait as I have a lot of work commitments as well as I am working away from Friday morning until Monday morning.

I haven't got a clue how to wire this thing up so this is going to be a challenge.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Riggers,

That's fine, I can wait as I have a lot of work commitments as well as I am working away from Friday morning until Monday morning.

I haven't got a clue how to wire this thing up so this is going to be a challenge.

Cheers,

Rick

Rick, the tutorial will give you (and others) everything for you to crack into it!

Dragon or Moebius will be no difference.

Mmmm? That MkVI looks good too......all that masking!!!

ATB

Rick, the tutorial will give you (and others) everything for you to crack into it!

Dragon or Moebius will be no difference.

Mmmm? That MkVI looks good too......all that masking!!!

ATB

Cheers, Riggers. I will look forward to the tutorial. I would like to light the kit as it will mean I could light other kits in the future.

All the best,

Rick