Roden 1/144 720

Should be cheaper if you have a black & white bin.

Is it true that if you buy a Minicraft 707 and a Roden 720 you get a free bin?? :shrug:

I heard it was the other way round - if you buy a bin, those kits come free just so you have something to throw in the bin!

Cracking on with my B720…………have to say, it reminds me of a matchbox kit, but without the trenches - much more subtle panel lines on this one……

IMG_1572_zpsde0c56e8.jpg

SD

Looks like it was assembled from parts of several Braniff 720s!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an ancient thread but came across looking for something else and am quite amused. If those of you are buying( or have now bought) Roden Boeing 720s for the local council to take care of, then why don't you all give me your money or kits. I'll give'em/it a good home

• 1 year later...

Hi Jennings, I know this is an old thread, but if I may ask........Where did you get the drawings of the 720 to compare the kit to the drawings? Or better yet.

Do you know where I can get them for any Aircraft?

Best Regards.

John.

Jennings got banned a while ago, so he's not going to see your question. From what I remember, he got some Boeing drawings from an ex-employee many years ago. There are many sources for aircraft drawings, each with their inaccuracies, because it's impossible to accurately portray a 3-dimensional subject in 2 dimensions without some inevitable distortion creeping in. You'll have to use Google to search for drawings of your desired subject.

Just a note to those interested. Only bravo alpha was painted in Invicta colours as bravo bravo went straight out on lease elsewhere. It came to Manston en route in natural metal with American Airlines shadows.

Where did you get the drawings ... ? Do you know where I can get them for any Aircraft?

I'll second Jessica, and add that Boeing and McDonnell Douglas (née Douglas) produced modelmaker's drawings of all their products at least into the 1980s. Other makers occasionally produced or commissioned them, too -- Vickers Armstrongs come to mind with the Viscount, Vanguard and VC10. Douglas, in particular, made outstanding if hugely complex drawings. Boeing's were rather rough-and-ready. Vickers' were commissioned from outside draughtspeople who, however, knew their stuff. These drawings are thin as gold dust. Exceptions are the 727 drawing which got picked up and published by The Aeromodeller, and the Vickers Vanguard, which also had that happy fate.

Other airframers also made modelmakers' drawings, but they fall into the disreputable area of travel agents' models. Famously, Lockheed released two successive drawings of the L-1011 that match Airfix' and Revell's kits entirely -- with all the shortcomings of these two kits lovingly portrayed, and not much reality...

When licensing came onto the modelling scene in the 1980s, Boeing made it a quid-pro-quo matter -- the kit maker pays a licence, but Boeings supply them with drawings. Whether that still applies, I don't know. Judging by accounts I read of more recent woes Minicraft and others had with their subjects, and of how they looked over the shoulders of Doyusha, Hasegawa and other kit makers to get their products right, I would doubt it.

As an aside, every aircraft has sets upon sets of manuals covering all aspects of operation and maintenance. Many airlines also have in-house manuals made using manufacturers' data. These do have full dimensional data and cover all apertures, windows, and humps-and-bumps imaginable. Excellent drawings can be made from them by skilled draughtspeople, given a measure of background knowledge and motivation. Problem tends to be, the manuals are huge, heavy, ferociously dear, and hard-to-find. In this area, Boeings shine, producing comparatively cheap and plentiful basic reference guides that summarise the gist in a small booklet, but others fall by the wayside...

Edited by skippiebg

• 2 weeks later...

My friend Steve Bakke is presently painting his Western 720B and i was test fitting mine last night. Overall i think is a good effort. Much better than the old Revell kit. Fit is pretty good and it certainly LOOKS like a 720. Yeah the fuselage has the texture of 1000 grit sandpaper but that can be fixed.

Roden did a much better job with the engine nacelles on the B model. One fellow filed off the "pads" on the wing undersides to get a good fit but the end result was marvelous.

I have no regrets buying mine. Holding onto the oversized engines from the straight 720, in hopes i can make JT-4s out of em at some point....

-d-

• Like 1

Thanks. I might see if I can order a set today. Their on line order system is a bit clunky so I'll try phoning.

I remember "logging" EI-ALA back in 1972 at which time Aer Lingus had been leasing it out so it had a blue rather than a green cheatline. I want to do it in the original delivery scheme.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...