Roden 1/144 720

I have no idea what an ancient Welsh V-bomber has to do with anything but to put matters beyond doubt I do not speak for Kurt, let alone feel "over-sensitive" on his behalf. I have no connection with him other than as a very satisfied customer.

The simple point I was making is that there are and always will be people who are willing to pay a bit extra for a better product whether it's running a Lexus car, flying Easyjet Plus or buying Authentic Airliners kits. At the end of the day it is a matter of personal choice how you spend whatever money you have. Several of Kurt's kits duplicate injection versions which existed before he tooled them (737-200, 727-100 and -200, 707-320B, 757 and, arguably, DC-9-15) and he obviously sells enough to make their production worthwhile. It goes without saying that for the price you are entitled to expect a top quality product and Authentic Airliners deliver this every time. It may be a niche market but it's one that I personally am willing to buy into even if it means doing without something else. I speak for no-one except myself

Here's hoping he does some aftermarket engines for the Roden 720 then - am sure they would be fab.

Lets not forgets that modelling is about putting one's own input onto the model

If everything was just spot on accurate stick together an the paint went on in one go and the decal went on a treat first time it would be a little boring.

Things like nose shapes can be improved on some kits with AM or just elbow grease and filler.

In a way it can be very rewarding to take a kit with several inaccuracies and admire the finished result YOU made with YOUR work and not finished that is just the same as everyone else.

As I mentioned several times before in various places, an inaccurate kit is a better starting point than a lump of wood, plan and knife.

I don't mean to be critical of anyone getting disappointed by the standard of a long awaited kit., we all do it to some extent on our pet subjects....I certainly do

But hey...it's supposed to be a hobby and as such, fun.

• Like 1

I'll throw one more consideration into the pot here. Remember that Roden is not yet a "mainstream injected kit" manufacturer. They're a limited run manufacturer who approaches mainstream standards but most definitely is not intending to actually meet them. Taking this into account we can get a better perspective on the kit. After all, who would expect Pegasus to produce a Tamiya kit? Limited run kits always mean extra work for the modeller and the 720 is no exception.

I have no doubt that I'll get this kit and enjoy tackling the challenging parts of the build. A little elbow grease and aftermarket will, at the end of the day, give me a model to sit on my shelf which after all is what we're going for here. Could it have been done better? Of course. Name me a model we cannot say that about. The list is going to be awfully short.

• Like 2

Are there any readilly available drawings for the 720? Engines in particular I guess. I dont really move in the Airliner modelling circles, so I do not really know a huge amount about them, but for obvious reasons I will happily build the Led Zeppelin aircraft, so I will make some new engines for it, if they are that noticeably different to what they should be.

:guitar:

Any suggestions for available drawings or dimensions? Anybody? :shrug:

Thanks for the link to the decals etc, much appreciated! :)

B)

We all need to sit in a big circle and repeat the Monty Python mantra.

Pick one..

Now for something completely different

Always look on the bright side of life

Its a dead parrot

Oo look, an art critic

Or something from the Argument Sketch?

Are there any readilly available drawings for the 720? Engines in particular I guess. I dont really move in the Airliner modelling circles, so I do not really know a huge amount about them, but for obvious reasons I will happily build the Led Zeppelin aircraft, so I will make some new engines for it, if they are that noticeably different to what they should be.

:guitar:

I guess that could be a 'NO' then? Anybody ...... ? :shrug:

Just asking, have tried a few avenues but no info as yet unfortunately.

I have wanted to build the Led Zeppelin aircraft for a while now, I originally posted some questions around six years ago, and I guess now is my opportunity to actually have a go at it. Original link is below:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7784-boeing-720/

Ta for any suggestions or help.

B)

Reading this thread, Id say you would be best off starting with a Spitfire, as the Roden kit looks more like a potato than a 720.

Are you reading the same thread I'm reading?

Let's look at Jennings' words once more:

The good news is, the fuselage shape and dimensions are pretty good. Close enough to scale that it's really not worth mentioning anyway.

The shape of the vertical fin is just about spot-on though, and ***much*** better than the Minicraft 707...

Jennings has remained silent about the wings and tailplane, despite being asked several times about them.

All that remains that is wrong about the kit can be summed up in the following list:

Engines are too large. Solution: Replace with aftermarket alternatives.

Cockpit windows are wonky and pillars too fat. Solution: Major surgery or replace with decals.

Fuselage windows too small and in the wrong place. Solution: Major surgery or replace with decals.

Some fuselage panel lines are in the wrong locations. Solution: Fill and rescribe.

What about this list is too difficult to do? This is no more difficult a kit to correct than many others which have receives heaps of praise in the past. Shall I mention Minicraft's abortion of a DC-3 and the 1/100 Doyusha kit it was pantographed from? What about Revell's 737 which is equally faulty but built unquestioned in droves? I sincerely cannot understand the level of vitriol which is being heaped upon this kit for relatively minor faults which, if they were made by many other manufacturers reviewers would be passing over them or explaining them away.

Am I disappointed by the kits faults? Of course. Will those faults make me avoid it? Of course not!

• Like 5

Are you reading the same thread I'm reading?.....

That's pretty much what I deduced from sifting through all the emotionally charged comments by some people and wrote as much several days ago. Do not be put off the model kit by reading these posts and accepting them at face value.

It all comes down to the engines being incorrect, plain and simple. Other "faults" can be overcome so easily as has been posted by myself and Jessica.

The wings have been commented on by another modeller on another forum and he can't find much wrong with them apart from some incorrect panel lining on the underside (though no doubt ***someone*** will mention something about the wings being 0.00023mm too narrow and therefore justifying trashing of the whole kit).

If you don't like windows and prefer decals, during the sanding down and clean up of the filled windows is it too much effort to apply some filler to the wrong panel lines on the fuselage and rub down? For me? No, no problem at all. Same goes for the "fat" windscreen frames - fill - sand -apply decals - job done, move on!!

Engines? Well it has been hinted that some may be available shortly; if you can't wait buy some Welsh Models efforts.

Honestly it's great finding out where a kit is slightly incorrect as it allows everyone to decide what they're going to correct/ignore.

(p.s I don't like Monty Python...)

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

Why is everyone obsessed by one person's judgement? With all respect due, Jennings is not the only one having reviewed Roden's 720 and other people's opinions are just as valid as his. I don't understand why so many seem to be swearing by his words.

• Like 2

I think his views drove the whole thread. Jessica summed up the good points very well and in doing so managed to turn it 'round in Roden's favour. The only swearing was probably under our collective breaths. Pinky coffee boat as well, even if he hasn't got a sense of humour with his, I don't like Monty Python! :winkgrin:

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

I think his views drove the whole thread. Jessica summed up the good points very well and in doing so managed to turn it 'round in Roden's favour. The only swearing was probably under our collective breaths. Pinky coffee boat as well, even if he hasn't got a sense of humour with his, I don't like Monty Python! :winkgrin:

I do like the "Life of Brian" but the rest I never really found funny....but don't get me wrong, I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boy...

I quite fancy a Braniff jelly bean colour scheme quite like this http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto_pa.php?id=6839042&pa_photo=71354.

Does anybody know

a ) if any aftermarket decal company produce(d) a sheet or,

b ) the font style for the lettering? It shouldn't be too difficult - black colour printed on a bit of clear decal sheet.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat