Roden 1/144 720

At risk of wandering off the topic of Roden's 720, I'll agree that the correction work needed for this small list of kits is not extensive. But they're not flawless wunderkits with crisp detail and fantastic fit that can be built by shaking the box either. I have to wonder what an airliner kit by Tamiya might be like.

Now back on topic: How are the Roden 720's wings? Good? Great, even? Horrible and better replaced by carved chocolate bars? The world desperately needs to know.

OK guys it seems this kit is either a step in the right direction or its not I'm confused are we saying don't buy it, or is it that it needs extra work but a reasonable replica can be made with a bit of effort?

Secondly are Roden kits not limited run in the first place so you know what to expect?

Personally I'm glad to see an injection moulded kit even if it has faults and am hoping it moves on to a B720B release sooner rather than later

So far I've got the following:

- The engines are too big (perhaps even a larger scale if they're a reasonable replica of the JT3C)

- the windows are too small and slightly misaligned

- some panel lines are in the wrong place/shouldn't be there at all.

Ok, so what we really need are a set of resin replacement engines...

Windows - some people use decals and some don't really care and leave as is...

Panel lines - Some people fill in and rescribe and others are quite content to leave things as is...

There is some discussion else where about wing body fairings but nothing conclusive yet.

I really do appreciate the analysis of the kit that is taking place, this way it allows me to decide what I should adjust/ amend/ fill or ignore. Honestly, it is appreciated.

Any news about the wing planform accuracy?

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

I don't think any is, or can even suggest don't buy it

The message I get is that with work it can be made accurate although if, like me, you're not as familiar with the type as others, less work will be needed to make you happy

I guess, if made straight out of the box it will look like a 720.

With a bit of work it will be a very good 720 and even if you change a lot, it's a better start than a block of wood , a knife and a plan.

In a sort of bizarre way, it can be good to build a kit that needs work. Apart from losing interest if you just stuck perfect bits together to have one the same as all the others, your project will be your interpretation and can truthfully say...I made this.

I don't see why not. Depending how Roden did the pylons we may need to cut them off and glue the Welsh engines to the Roden pylons. Jeff, from the pictures Jennings posted the wing mounting looks to match the drawings. The concern in the thread is that Jennings hasn't posted anything about the wings themselves. The rest of your list is a good summary: Some minor fuselage work and replacing the engines will make this kit an acceptable 720. If we want accurate open windows the work becomes more extensive.

My own personal recommendation is to buy it. The only way we're going to convince Roden to keep doing airliners is to buy the ones they give us. At the end of the day this is still better than anything Airfix produced, and look what we can do with those.

To add to the "problems", as I've been building mine, the flight deck window part is too narrow for the opening.

Solution? Well, I've tried rubbing down the sides of the fuselage to fair in the clear part with limited results. I'll wait until it's dried and then rub down some more.

However, it's now been put away for the second time and I've got to say,reluctantly, I doubt I'll get it out again for some time... Such a shame.

The engines, the too narrow clear part, the slightly deeper left wing root (solution - rub down the wing a bit to match the fuselage fairing) and all issues mentioned here and elsewhere have just sapped my initial enthusiasm for it.

On the plus side, I do like the box art.

Roll on Zvezdas IL-62...

Jeff

The Daco cover is worth a try. I sanded the opening and the clear part to get a decent all round join, but it pinches in at the base by about 1 mm each side: the top of it fairs quite nicely into the roof, there's a little gap at the front end that filler can take care of but it's the narrowness that's going to be awkward to deal with.

The rest of the kit joins together quite well. My wings do have a slight bit of warpage, but that's down to the soft plastic and the thin mouldings of the kit.

Like I wrote, such a shame as it looks quite good in the box. My pair have been relegated to the stash now for some time in the future when I can add the replacement engines and vacform cover that is surely going to flood onto the market, just like they did for Revells 737...oh no hang on we're still waiting for decent aftermarket stuff for that!!!

What were Roden thinking?

Jeff

Oh yes please!!!! Both Aeroflot schemes (love the early scheme - just beautiful) and the Interflug! Oh, and yes to the Czechoslovakia scheme and the Angola too....and the Polish too!! More please! More!

Calm down! Must stay focused and talk about Roden 720 - ok, I've relaxed a bit and will attempt to do something to it tonight, Mike from Vintage Flyer has just released a couple of Eastern decal sheets...

Minicraft KC-135? Another missed opportunity?

Check the photos of the built test shot on HS (MC KC-135)

Given Zvezda's track record on decals (nobody in Russia can seem to get the Aeroflot titles or Soviet style registration letters/numbers right!), we plan on doing a comprehensive Aeroflot 1973 scheme sheet with several common variations, plus the Olympic titles, etc. The others are as you see. I'm pushing for the Il-62 stuff to be 100% silkscreen printed, but we'll have to see. Working on Tarom and Cubana at the moment.

J

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Given Zvezda's track record on decals (nobody in Russia can seem to get the Aeroflot titles or Soviet style registration letters/numbers right!), we plan on doing a comprehensive Aeroflot 1973 scheme sheet with several common variations, plus the Olympic titles, etc. The others are as you see. I'm pushing for the Il-62 stuff to be 100% silkscreen printed, but we'll have to see. Working on Tarom and Cubana at the moment.

J

looking good on the decals, i fancy doing an Angolan and Cubana one lol

J

Yeah just found it - the flight deck windows look vaguely like something that was fitted to the -135..

Anyway and without straying off topic, Cubana would be nice too - early cheatline or (and?) later white fuselage? Air Koryo?

I'll hold off buying the Britannia when Roden release it until someone reviews it thoroughly.

Jeff

Yes!!! Why not indeed.

At the moment I'm sanding back the join lines on the engines and what I've noticed about the plastic is that it seems to sand "strangely"; don't use anything coarser than 240 because that seems to really dig into the plastic but even after smoothing out with some 12000 mesh some sanding lines are still quite visible. Strange indeed (well to me anyway).

The flight deck window has had a bead of filler applied all round and when that's dried I'll attempt to fair in the clear part with the fuselage. It doesn't look as bad now, a few days later, as it did when I first attached the part - apart from the noted problems - there may still be some hope I'll finish it.

Jeff

Beaut Il-62's Jennings! What program do you use (I've only used MS Paint to do some very basic WW2 stuff) and which company can we get the decals from? Relly like the TAAG, LOT and Cubana.

Paul Harrison