Boeing builds new wings for the A-10

hacker

It does what it says on the tin. Keeping the A-10 as a superb ground attack aircraft is the most sensible thing I have heard in a while. HOG Go ugly early! pig.gif

Well what do you know. They woke up at last!

I Wish their 'Airships' at MOD had done so about it years ago.

Pete

A-10 the Timex of aircraft.....can take a licking and keeps on ticking

You only have to look at the one which was hit by a SAM during the Gulf War. It lost a whole engine pod, one tailfin and tailplane and (on the opposite side) the whole wing leading edge as far as the main spar. It still stayed in the air and managed to get its jockey to a friendly airbase. That jet was a mess! But it wasn't a freak occurrence. A similar incident in the 2003 Iraq war proved that.

You only have to look at the one which was hit by a SAM during the Gulf War. It lost a whole engine pod, one tailfin and tailplane and (on the opposite side) the whole wing leading edge as far as the main spar. It still stayed in the air and managed to get its jockey to a friendly airbase. That jet was a mess! But it wasn't a freak occurrence. A similar incident in the 2003 Iraq war proved that.

yep the A10 tank of the air ...

thomas

i went to a live firepower demo years ago down at warminster when i was in the TA the A10 came in firing the 30mm gatling gun man you could feel the vibrations of it on the ground .. funny thing too it sounded like someone letting off :winkgrin:

Edited by thomastmcc

America keeps its old but capable planes in service whereas the UK scraps them, im thinking harrier, nimrod, possibly the jaguar. America's old birds, f15s,a10s, f16s, b52s etc, all still in service. It makes furious how we scrap planes that are still very capable. On another note, the bare livery on the warthog in the video would be a great one for a build.

• Like 1

Forgetting the politics behind military aircraft procurement, the A-10 has always been an astonishing aircraft. Designed from the outset to a job, and a very capable job it does too.

There are not too many military aircraft I get excited about seeing at air shows. Basically, anything grey, doesn't tend to excite me that much these days, but seeing the A-10 at displays has always kept my interest. Other aircraft in that list would be the B-1, the Viggen, the Vulcan, Lightning and the F-14 Tomcat. But I tend to switch off when it's the turn of F-16s and Typhoons I'm afraid.

Thanks for posting that though, the video of the commander of the 355th wing was excellent.

America keeps its old but capable planes in service whereas the UK scraps them, im thinking harrier, nimrod, possibly the jaguar. America's old birds, f15s,a10s, f16s, b52s etc, all still in service. It makes furious how we scrap planes that are still very capable. On another note, the bare livery on the warthog in the video would be a great one for a build.

Considering that the F-16 makes up the majority of the USAF combat aircrafts, I'd be very confused if they were all scrapped....

Edit: I should add that the USAF has actually retired a lot of F-16s over the years and for a lot I mean several hundreds

Edited by Giorgio N

Is this the story: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0016_A-10-battle-damage/story0016.htm ?

Funny how ACC wanted to get rid of the A-10 several times, and she always seems to hang around.

Yes funny that eh?

I tell you who likes the A-10 more than anyone else, troops in contact. They love it. Does what it says on the tin!

Julien

Being a fan of the A-10 since building the Revell 'Jaws' marked kit shortly after it came out (a treat after a visit to the long-gone model floor of Beatties department store in Wolverhampton [not to be confused with the defunct Beatties]), I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

The USAF is now in 'we may have to bin a whole fleet' mode, and the A-10 is potentially up for the chop in line with the KC-10 and a large number of F-15Cs...

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130915/DEFREG02/309150004/USAF-Weighs-Scrapping-KC-10-10-Fleets

Being a fan of the A-10 since building the Revell 'Jaws' marked kit shortly after it came out (a treat after a visit to the long-gone model floor of Beatties department store in Wolverhampton [not to be confused with the defunct Beatties]), I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

The USAF is now in 'we may have to bin a whole fleet' mode, and the A-10 is potentially up for the chop in line with the KC-10 and a large number of F-15Cs...

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130915/DEFREG02/309150004/USAF-Weighs-Scrapping-KC-10-10-Fleets

yes but also so is the B1B lancer as before the sequestration the USAF WANTED to cut the A10 & B1B or another fleet they said if they had done that then it would have saved more money than in the sequestration .. this was in a recent isssue of combat aircraft monthly sept 2013.

thomas

• 1 month later...

Soooo, with Sen Ayotte unblocking the confirmation of the new Secretary of the Air Force, does that mean the Hog is safe? Or just that Sen Ayotte trashed too much political capital last week and had to back down?

yep the A10 tank of the air ...

thomas

i went to a live firepower demo years ago down at warminster when i was in the TA the A10 came in firing the 30mm gatling gun man you could feel the vibrations of it on the ground .. funny thing too it sounded like someone letting off :winkgrin:

it intrigued me listening to it on youtube that you hear the firing sequance in reverse

ie the 1st thing you hear is the rounds impacting the (unlucky!!) target this is followed by the cracks of the rounds going supersonic and finally you hear god farting!

• Like 1

AFM this month (or is it Air international?) says that it's the Bone for the chop.

Pardon my ignorance but is Sen. Oyotte one of Tea Partyists in the GOP?

Trevor

No, well, she's drifted from conservative sounding at the time she was nominated in 2010 to more moderate now. She voted in favour of the new budget deal.