Zvezda 1/100 FAA Corsair II "Ken Decklander"

Speedman

I watched the Disney film "Planes" a couple of weeks ago, fun film and full of little aircraft related jokes like "U.S.S. Dwight D. Flysenhower" :lol: I came across the Zvezda range of snap together models for the film (and "Cars", I can see a fully detailed Mater in my future...) online and the "Skipper Riley" F4U caught my eye. I wanted to build one for a bit of fun, adding some detail and fully paint it but then it struck me, why keep it as the film character?

I decided to do a FAA Corsair II so I picked one up from Antics and opened it up at home and was really surprised with how much detail there was for what essentially is a kids kit. Finely engraved panel lines, rivet detail, beautifully detailed undercarriage and engine... Not at all what I was expecting! The only thing not catered for were the main gear doors but that was sorted with a little plasticard. I decided to drop the flaps which was a nightmare to do because that part of the wing is one piece and it took a long time to score/cut through them but eventualy they were free. Some card and sanding to round the edges and I made the little flap filler to finish them off and the only thing left was to clip the wings.

I mixed all the paint colours buy eye using Revell acryilics and the decals were from the spares box. weathered with oil washes and pastels and a final coat of Tamiya satin varnish. I needed to name it, after a bit of thinking I came up with Ken Decklander. Ken, for my late grandfather who served in the Navy in WWII and Decklander because... You get the idea ;)

2013-09-0615_46_1301_zps7af90644.jpg

2013-09-0615_44_4601_zpscd9d03de.jpg

2013-09-0615_44_2001_zps2eeaa529.jpg

2013-09-0615_45_5801_zps36962c44.jpg

2013-09-0615_42_4601_zps61d0776f.jpg

2013-09-0615_44_5801_zps01d39744.jpg

What it looks like out of the box. (It doesn't come with decals, stickers are supplied but this photo I found has been photoshopped :huh: )

ZV2062-2_zpsa1d10f9b.jpg

Edited by Speedman
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...