1/72nd Amodel Myasishchev 3MN-1 Bison

Hi D-tox..... yep I'm sure you're right there Dave, the low pressure area created by nearly 80 tons of metal belting along at Mach 2 would have an interesting effect on the trajectory of any rounds fired rearwards, as you say probably being more useful as shrapnel than effective weapon,(still it gave the defensive officer something to do other than twiddle his fingers !)...

As for powerful ECM and radar, the Foxbat epitomized this with the 600 watt TL-25 Smerch-A 'Foxfire' system, couldn't stand too close to the thing when active, basic but burn through anything.. !,

[

Hate to think what the weight penalty would have been Rob.........the early 'V's weren't exactly overpowered in the first place...

Well, it worked for the Mosquito... And early in the life of the V force it became clear that the bomber's greatest enemy was the missile, which is impossible to shoot down unless you have a Goalkeeper or similar - and missiles was why they went low-level. Since then few bombers have been built, but one common feature is - no guns.

I think I had been thinking too much about What-if 3 Group Build I have spent alot of time there reading and chatting about crazy ideas and dreaming about weird plane stuff including a double fuselage Buccaneer ! Brick already I guess that would make it a breeze block..... :coat:

Edited by robvulcan

Now just about finished the rear turret. The more I looked at photos the more I saw needed doing but bar the rear window frames, (I'm leaving the fitting of the glazing until later), and NK-23 cannon barrels it's all but done........at last !.

The blast shrouds have been fitted using 0.5mm card and the small re enforcement strips added with paper,

P1150981_zps71f0b8a8.jpg

The turret's also been added to the rear fuselage...lining it up and fitting was surprisingly awkward as nothing seemed to fit. But after a fair bit of micro surgery it was attached,

P1150997_zpse940605a.jpg

Virtually all the white areas have now been scratchbuilt and as the whole tail plane has been moved forward there's now a slot gap along the top and bottom side. This doesn't really matter though as a fairing completely missed by Amodel needs to be fitted along here in any case. I guess the chaps from Amodel didn't have a ladder tall enough to have a look see at the real thing....

P1150996_zps9a77cf3f.jpg

Next up should be the wings...this will be interesting as the attachment points are pretty vague and the wings heavy. One solution would of course be brass rod but these would need to be fitted through the engine intakes and be visible down the pipes !! so maybe something thinner along the top and bottom might be the order of the day...

Cheers all,

Melchie

• Like 3

How about steel wire much thinner and a darn sight more solid though it can flex. I'm sure you will find a way. Perhaps prayer might help. Big wings on this thing love to see a size comparison with a victor.

Cheers Rob

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Laz, this and a few others are on hold for now until I have a sizeable backlog of builds for Airfix Model World completed.

Hopefully I'll be restarting it fully in the near future (should be picking up a set of Equipage wheels for it soon which will enhance the model greatly).

• Like 3

What a fabulous project, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this restarted! And that reminds me, I must get back onto my Sikorsky Ilya Muromets!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/27/2016 at 5:22 AM, general melchett said:

Thanks Laz, this and a few others are on hold for now until I have a sizeable backlog of builds for Airfix Model World completed.

Hopefully I'll be restarting it fully in the near future (should be picking up a set of Equipage wheels for it soon which will enhance the model greatly).

Any updates?  I'm thinking of getting this kit and found your build.  Seems that you're pretty close to getting it done if you haven't already

Any updates?  I'm thinking of getting this kit and found your build.  Seems that you're pretty close to getting it done if you haven't already

Thanks Peter, funnily enough we recently 3D printed a set of wheels (all eight) for the kit and I acquired the KV Models masking set. It's definitely on the to-do list for next year so please keep an eye out. There are several excellent builds of this kit out there, (especially on the Russian sites I frequent) which is good news, especially as the big Amonsters often gets trashed as virtually 'unbuildable' by certain review sites who seem happier shaking a box and out comes yet another Fockeschmitt-Me-190-G whatever. It's certainly a challenge but if your OK with that then these are great subjects and make for spectacular models, hardly likely to see the light of day with any mainstream manufacturers. If you can get it for a good price, then go for it. 

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I had no idea how big this kit is and I have wanted one for years. The thing that's stopping me is the eye watering price and from what I found the two fuselage half's are already glued together? It's a strangely beautiful aircraft and I look forward to seeing this completed. 

• Like 1

This one is certainly a giant, and very impressive work so far. 

Might we see more soon @general melchett?

I love finding builds like this one. Makes my Vosper build time (a mere 4.5 years to date) look like a walk in the park! 🥳

Take note Stuart @Courageous

Terry

• Haha 2

Thanks Ryan and Terry, yes they’re impressive beasts to put it mildly, I’ve always had a soft spot for both the Bison and the Bounder so had to get them as soon as they became available. Amodel kits have come on a good way since these Amonsters first became available (same goes for Modelsvit) but they’re still great kits. Thank the modelling Gods that they did release these subjects as I doubt any other companies will cover them in this scale..but never say never. Trumpeter have a go now and then but while they’re easier to build with crisp, often iffy detail, they’re generally not as accurate as the Ukrainian offerings. JetMads are threatening to release a 1/48th Tu-128 so anything is possible, just wish they could be persuaded to also go for my favourite Soviet type, the Tu-22 Blinder in the same scale. Yes, they’re relatively expensive (although that’s more subjective nowadays) and yes, the fuselages are pre-joined in the factory, making the fit of the main undercarriage ‘interesting’ but, with a bit of work and forward planning, an impressive model can result. This one is definitely still on the shortlist and work will recommence in the summer.

• Like 2