last ever leuchars airshow 2013

thomastmcc

I remember when British Aerospace in Hatfield had fantastic airshows when i was young. It was so sad when they sold up and moved on.

I remember one year when it was very overcast with low rainclouds. The fast jets, including concord, would just appear out of nowhere with the clouds and rain spiralling off their wings, and fly low and fast over the runway. And on a scorching hot day sitting right at the end on the runway (like all naughty boys shouldnt!) and having planes take off right over us, including the mahoosive victor, loud as hell. magical.

Best Leuchars show for me was 1990, my brother took me to my first ever airshow, seem to recall there was a few cancellations from the American attendee's as things had kicked off with Kuwait/Iraq but was still great! Can remember all the treble one Phantoms on display as they were about to be replaced by the F3.

Been a few times since but was never the same, either the weather was rubbish or the line up!

Went to one mid 70's can't remeber much of the flying display but I'm sure it was good. Bumped into an old mate, we'de been on the Bulwark together he and the Naval detachment were showing the crabs how to fly the Phantom!!!!!

Gosh, that's too bad. Leuchars was my first ever airshow, back in 1969 or 70....

Some photos I took with my tiny 126 camera (I was only 5 or 6...)

Leuchars_zpse4dac265.jpg

Any idea what the steam engine is?

Gannet formation:

leuchars69-03_zps4c541ba9.jpg

Magisters - Belgian or French??

leuchars69-04_zps2ca6fb5e.jpg

Spit XIX - whose?

leuchars69-02_zps85ea4390.jpg

Edited by Paul Bradley

The loco your enquiring about is An A4 pacific! the location you took the photo gives a clue as to what it could be! but not definitely!

at a guess! i would say it`s 60024 KINGFISHER ! she was one of the last A4`s operating at that time in that region! although the date you give 1969-70! is a bit late though! as she was withdrawn from service in 1966!.

Edited by nicE1

It might be 6009 Union of South Africa, which was preserved on the Lochty Private Railway nearby in 1966 - shipped in by road perhaps?

Kingfisher was scrapped in 1967. Have you got a bigger scan Paul?

The Spit is almost certainly one of the BBMF aircraft

Edited by Dave Fleming

It might be 6009 Union of South Africa, which was preserved on the Lochty Private Railway nearby in 1966 - shipped in by road perhaps?

Dave,

I might be wrong, but it could've got there under it's own steam (pun intended) as the airfield siding may still have been connected to the rail network at that time.

Mark.

guys the airfield is still able to get trains into ... thats how most of the munitions are delivered .. I was TA for 15 years in the infantry and we did an excercise up there for the RAF as an enemy force we were all over the place one of the sgts told us that they used the railway a lot..

thomas

Having their date in September (from the old Battle of Britain open days of course - remember them?) always meant it has been a bit of a lottery as regards Leuchars show weather. Been there in driving rain with such a low cloud base hardly anyone went up except the Russian who showed how to display in atrocious weather. Then again seen clear blue all day and wished I had left my jacket back in the car rather than sweat carrying it.

Once Leuchars show ends we will have to travel a fair bit to see a decent sized show. All rather sad really. Our next generation will be lucky if they go to a show and see two RAF multi role types and a transport and maybe a handful of other aircraft from abroad if things keep going the way they are. My previous generation (1950's n 60's) must have seen what at shows? A couple dozen different RAF & RN/Army types just from the UK at least.

Progress eh? :(

Dave,

I might be wrong, but it could've got there under it's own steam (pun intended) as the airfield siding may still have been connected to the rail network at that time.

Mark.

The siding was (IIRC it was 1990-something it closed) but I don't think Lochty railway was. They closed the siding when the new fuel farm opened a few miles north (It has a siding), although some of the track is still there.

The last Leuchars show I went to was a nightmare. 3 hours to get in and the same to get out again, with a 7 year old in the car who gave me a lesson in patience.

I hope the airshows continue after the move to Lossiemouth - only 16 miles away. As a boy, I used to spend my holidays at the end of Lossiemouth's 023. On one occasion, standing on top of dunes on the beach I remember a Red Arrow Gnat passing below me, kicking up sand.

Edited by Scratcher

I hope the airshows continue after the move to Lossiemouth - only 16 miles away. The last Leuchars show I went to was a nightmare. 3 hours to get in and the same to get out again, with a 7 year old in the car who gave me a lesson in patience.

good points mate but for people who say stay in the central belt how easy is it to get to lossiemouth if you dont drive ?? ..

thomas

Gutted, I've missed the last two due to a back injury, I've been to four and had the best times there, I'll miss it, here's hoping for Losse, 16 miles isn't much if you've already driven from Newcastle.

Many thanks o the guys and Gals who've worked hard over the years to bring us a great show, good luck for your futures.