Caldercraft Victory in 1/72nd Scale

nick

In case anyone has been wondering where I was, I have been trying to fill my workshop to the ceiling with wood shavings, none of yer plastic nonsense.

I have also come over a bit nautical after my Arizona exploits.

Anyhoo, here's what I've been doing:-
9682045210_9f679b64de_b.jpg
9678816141_6e8f8cf213_b.jpg
9682036944_3099a7c40e_b.jpg
9414420235_4b83096b73_b.jpg
9417190778_72f4baa585_b.jpg
9417192634_667eb9a61a_b.jpg
9417194702_13c941da7a_b.jpg
9417196936_60966a6990_b.jpg
9417203772_bd5e06e854_b.jpg
9652738599_16fd827453_b.jpg
9652741993_3fb00eb1c7_b.jpg
9652745615_ee9daae76c_b.jpg
9652752219_5b11dd8d3b_b.jpg
9652756661_799cafc763_b.jpg
9655995826_f603f5a091_b.jpg

Must be going mad.Manual says 3000 hours to build. Reckon I'm half done.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 7

Nice to see another ship of the line in the makeing.

She would swollow mine three times over.

Nice going on her, like your binnicle :winkgrin: .

At the rate your going it will be finished this year. :thumbsup:

Cheers foxy :coolio:

Hi Nick,

Nice clean build, looking very good.

At 1/72 what's the length of that hull?

Glad to see you got the deck planking right - 4 planks between butt joints. What did you do to represent the caulking?

Knowing your usual standards I'm surprised you haven't shown the fixing plugs in the planking ! :winkgrin:

I will be watching this build with interest.

Cheers Kev

Just looked the kit up, where on earth are you going to keep and display it when it's made.

3000hrs they say, if you do 10hrs a week on average it's roughly 6yrs, never will I moan to myself about this plastic malarkey taking to long to finish

:goodjob:

Looks awesome, will be a fantastic model. How is the plating of the lower hull done?

Like most of this kit - the hard way, it's about 2000 individual copper plates

Nick

Hi Nick,

Nice clean build, looking very good.

At 1/72 what's the length of that hull?

Glad to see you got the deck planking right - 4 planks between butt joints. What did you do to represent the caulking?

Knowing your usual standards I'm surprised you haven't shown the fixing plugs in the planking ! :winkgrin:

I will be watching this build with interest.

Cheers Kev

Haven't finished yet. I've hit an MDC rivet tool that simulates the plugs nicely.

Caulking is just a sharpie marker around the edge of every plank as they come off the guillotine.

At 1/72 she's about a metre long roughly.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone BTW

Nick

Like most of this kit - the hard way, it's about 2000 individual copper plates

Nick

Found an old foto before the carnage began, here are the two bags of plates, 1000 each (:

The comb like bits you can see are how all the gratings are made. Welcome to the mind-numbing world of wooden boats.

9682802319_7ab43b17ea_b.jpg

Nick

Superb!!! , what dedication!!! , I would just love to build one of those ,but at my age I fear it would never get done.

Superb!!! , what dedication!!! , I would just love to build one of those ,but at my age I fear it would never get done.

It's a fair point, I'm 48 and I'm not sure I will!

There's a lot of string to go yet which I've never attempted before.

Nick

Awesome, I thought mine was big at 1/84, but 1/72? Wow. Very impressive build, how long has it taken you so far and how long will it take to complete?

Jock

Jock,

I bought the kit in 2008, got as far as second planking and lost the will to live after plating one side of the Hull. Didn't touch her again until this August where I really started to crack on.

I estimate I'm over half done now, I reckon it will take about another 700-800 hours to finish. God knows what this is in elapsed time, I probably need to allow for another break of a few years as well if past experience is anything to go on.

It's more a battle of wills than an enjoyable modelling experience, there's so much of everything and you're actually making most of it, not snipping it off a sprue.

For example, each gun has about 40 components believe it or not, all need cutting and finishing/sanding, wheels need turning to be round, axles the same, there's drilling to be done for PE, pins to be cut down, PE to be formed and ridged, then rigging blocks for the training tackle

as well as eyes to attach to the deck and side walls.

She's a 100 gun ship of the line. Do the math.

that's just the guns. The gun ports are all lined after the hull is complete which is in effect a gynaecological exercise in wood. The all have lids, which I haven't even started yet, they're not simple.

and so it goes. you get the idea.

Nick

• Like 1

Yeah but your the MAN !!

If anyone is going to achieve this I'll put my money on you !

:winkgrin:

If you need them I have a number of very good reference books on square rigging. I could bring them to Telford if required.

I assume its going to be R/C :innocent:

Cheers Kev

Thats some work you have there Nick. I am so glad I am sticking to plastic, its more fun beleave it or not.

I love working in wood/metal, but this is something else.

Good luck on the remainder of this build.

It will be a fantastic ship when your finished, R/C would be nice for the steerage if your going for that as well.

Cheers foxy :coolio: