Modelling in Cyprus......

heloman1

There is IPMS Cyprus, which is based in Nicosia. There's a biennial model show & competition (last one was held this year), but there are usually a couple of meetings each year usually at the European University campus coffee bar in Nicosia, the AGM should be coming up October/November.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327221032682/?ref=ts&fref=ts

The only dedicated model shop is TM in the old Nicosia area, some of the guys hang out there at the weekends.

http://www.tm-modelhobbystore.com/

The predominant language is Greek though most of the guys do speak some English, main focus is armour in various scales and dioramas, but there are a few of us into aircraft, ships, sci-fi etc.

Link to pictures of the 2013 model show

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=38438

Link to the 2011 model show pics

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=24061

There is an IPMS Branch in Cyprus

These details are taken from the IPMS UK website ( http://ipmsuk.co.uk/overseas.php ) - it's the 12th one down the list

IPMS Cyprus
Address: 3 Curium Street, 6016, Larnaca, Cyprus
E-Mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/groups/327221032682/

Hope this helps

EDIT - You beat me to it Richard!!

Karl

Edited by Karl

I went past the only Cypriot model shop a few years ago when I was in Nicosia, and it was closed :(

Was that the Tamiya shop at the top of Ledra Street? Been a few years since he retired and closed up, for a while he had his grandkids in the shop selling the stock off, I got several 1/48 Airfix Lightnings for about 6 quid a kit. He had a storeroom in the basement below the shop, absolute Aladdins cave of old kits, paints etc.

I was in Limasol last year and visited an old haunt, 'Nics' model shop. Sadly he's no longer alive but his son runs it now. I used this shop a lot when based at Akrotiri, its on the road from the supermarket Arfanidies (sorry about the spelling) into town, on the left side going down into town.

I was in Limasol last year and visited an old haunt, 'Nics' model shop. Sadly he's no longer alive but his son runs it now. I used this shop a lot when based at Akrotiri, its on the road from the supermarket Arfanidies (sorry about the spelling) into town, on the left side going down into town.

I've heard about that shop, but never visited, does he have a lot of stock? How far down from Orphanides is it? I might be able to pop in when passing through on the way to Paphos.

Was that the Tamiya shop at the top of Ledra Street? Been a few years since he retired and closed up, for a while he had his grandkids in the shop selling the stock off, I got several 1/48 Airfix Lightnings for about 6 quid a kit. He had a storeroom in the basement below the shop, absolute Aladdins cave of old kits, paints etc.

Yes - a dusty looking place with a Tamiya logo in the window. Couldn't remember the street name though. :rolleyes:

Its just over half way down, I think passed the car licensing office. He was/is the Hasegawa importer. Mikes right, all Cypriot model shops have lots of dust inside!

Chris

Also the Revell importer was a toy shop in Nicosia, toys up stairs, models in the basement.

Its just over half way down, I think passed the car licensing office. He was/is the Hasegawa importer. Mikes right, all Cypriot model shops have lots of dust inside!

Chris

Also the Revell importer was a toy shop in Nicosia, toys up stairs, models in the basement.

Cheers for the directions. The Revell shop is Be-Be Toys on Makariou III Avenue.

Nicks models in Limassol is/was/maybe on 'Archiepiskopou Leontiou I' street, if I remember correctly, I tried to drop in there a few months back but the place looked empty to be honest, and one of the large front windows was smashed. Wether it was closed on the day of the week that I called, or under renovation, or new ownership or closed permanently I could not say. It may be worth trying to phone the shop first before anybody calls in personally, if only to find out if it is still open. Hopefully it is still open, for all of the shops quirkiness I loved the place when I lived there.

I will be there again in about 3 weeks so I will try and find out for definate if it is still trading, if only to satisfy my own curiosity.

B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I was in Limassol last week and decided to pay Nicks Models a visit and I can confirm that they are definately still open and trading. :yahoo:

Had a nice little chat with Anna who now helps her Son run the shop.

What was a little surprising was that the large front window, which I noticed was broken earlier this year, still has not yet been repaired or replaced! :shrug:

NicksModels_zps0d5c631f.jpg

B)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/5/2013 at 4:29 PM, modelldoc said:

During my holiday stay in Nicosia this year, i found a little shop at Mouson Street (pedestrian area near the "Berlin Wall" coffee bar).

He sells Vallejo colours and a lot of 1:35 military kits.

modelldoc

That’s TM - I was there last December. Had a nice little chat with Tassos. As the shop seems to be fairly new, he didn’t have much in the way of old kits which I am hunting on such occasions. Two of the England Stars sets made their way to Germany afterwards, however.

Be-Be has a good selection of current and recent Revell kits. A very nice old school toy shop. I bought a MiG-21F just for the sake of doing my share to support them.

Nick‘s is still there, but looks just the same as four years ago, only even more dusty... It wasn’t open, and apparently it only opens Saturdays on prior appointment, so it seems advisable to give them a call first. What was visible through the windows was loads of dust and kits and stuff lying on the floor. I am always open for a graveraiding expedition but I really wasn’t that keen on making the way up from Paphos again just for the shop. I thought myself fortunate to bringing us and the rental car through the traffic unscathed. They all drive on the wrong side!

I didn’t find anything in Paphos were the Hotel was, but didn’t look too hard anyway. I was hoping for some hardware shop in smaller places like Polis with shelfloads of forgotten stock from the 50s, but well... if they exist I didn’t find them.