Revell 1/24 Huey Gunship

sdighe

First post here (yay!) , so why not start off with a bang? And by bang, I mean gigantic helicopter. I'm not especially far along, I really just started: (if the photos don't work, lemme know)

IMG_1183_zpsd25c03c0.jpg

The painted passenger seats, right after I glued 'em on

IMG_1184_zps48245d00.jpg

Front seats, painted grey. It's kind of hard to see, since the tape is clear, but I've masked the seat cushion to paint olive drab later.

IMG_1188_zps6d002b0f.jpg

Instrument panel, slightly shiny from being semi-wet. I've yet to put the decal on it, but my local crafts store didn't have any decal setting solution, so I'm gonna apply it with water and prayers.

IMG_1186_zps3f3d5e14.jpg

The nicely painted (if I do say so myself) pitch sticks, drying on a Testors cap. I'd like to say that the scratch-marks and weathering on the silver parts were intentional, but it was really just my ineptitude at painting.

IMG_1187_zps250d91b3.jpg

Anndd the control sticks. I left the handle unpainted, I like it in OD green...(who knows why) Err...this photo came out a little blurry..oops.....

That's it for now, more progress soon

• Like 2

Hey Sdighe

Looking pretty good there mate and I'm looking forward to watching this progress.

if you get stuck or you need any help just ask as there are plenty of people on this site with some real pearls of wisdom when it comes to modelling.

And welcome to the forums!

Cheers

Yours aye

Iain.

ahaha Thanks Iain! Nigel, I assume you are talking about georgeusa's build, don't worry I'm already following that build intently :D It actually is quite a fun one to build, I recommend this one if anyone else is thinking about it...

I have the 1/24 Huey in the Swiss mountain rescue helicopter guise to build at some point !!!!! Does anyone know if there are decals for other users of the Huey that can be bought ????

Nice start ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, will follow to see what is involved !!!!!!!

Nige

Really quick update to finish up today: (I'm too excited to stop)

IMG_1192_zps116aa507.jpg

Painted the seat cushions in OD and the belts in black and white.

IMG_1193_zps6055f88e.jpg

Painted the supports for the seats in OD.

IMG_1195_zps395992ac.jpg

Put in the pitch sticks (I may weather them and the other cockpit gubbins later), and did a semi-sloppy paint-job on all that button-y goodness in the middle ;D

More to follow tomorrow if I get some free time!

• Like 1

It's been too long! (like 2 days) I wouldn't call my work since my last post INCREDIBLY productive...but I did actually assemble the cockpit.

IMG_1196_zps29eab741.jpg

Yay for seats!

IMG_1198_zps60f06ed5.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, I'm more proud about that center console than I should be....

IMG_1199_zpsf9449c8b.jpg

The decal didn't wrinkle, peel and then die miserably like I thought it would! Good omens....

IMG_1200_zps9ab415e7.jpg

The top support frame-ma-jig. Yes, I'm entirely too lazy to paint the sides, so I just did the top and bottom (No one is gonna see that anyway... :weep: )

IMG_1201_zpsc591cc3c.jpg

But I did do the sides and everything on the left and right supports. Turns out that what was once an inability to paint, can become deliberate suckiness. It makes it look nice and scratched up!

Sorry for such late upload times, I only get to do some work after I do my homework :weep: More to come, bye for now!

• Like 1

I think you are doing great. I also like what you did with the instrument panel. The fit of the model itself is rather good considering its age. And, if you are having to do this after homework, I would imagine this kit is considerably older than you.

Grand job and I love your enthusiasm for the project.

Keep up the good work mate its gonna be a stunner!

Oh and make sure you get your homework in on time! I used to do mine on the bus on the way to school.....

ummm that could explain a lot!

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

haha George I suspect you are correct.....how old is the kit anyway?

Thanks Iain! Yeah I'm sort of a last minute person when it comes to work too...but hey, it gets done, right? :)

• Like 1

On the bottom of one of tailfins is an old fashioned trademark stamp with the date 1975 on it. So, I suspect this fine kit's molds are about 20 years older than Sdighe, the fine crafter of this particular kit. In 1975 I had been back from Nam/Thailand (and various countries that I got "lost" in) for only 2 years. Dang I feel old right now. Okay, sdighe, I updated mine, now show me yours!!! Really, I would like to see your progress as I am enjoying watching this build take place. I think you are doing great.

Wow, I am definitely gonna check for that stamp later...I feel rather young myself! Thank you for the compliments, I am also watching your build, it's very useful to use for reference pictures, that's for sure! Your Huey is looking amazing, I can't wait to see your finished product! :)

Speaking of updating mine.....

IMG_1207_zpseb82fcb0.jpg

I may have slightly forgotten to snap some pictures along the way of reaching this step, but oh well! The whole radio stack (which had outward-facing decals for reasons beyond me)
and nose frame are assembled and on, as well as the formers on the bottom. The pedals seemed kind of weird, but generous applications of glue fixed that easily.

IMG_1206_zps2ce97658.jpg

Starting to look kind of like a Huey, eh?
IMG_1203_zps5b73fc16.jpg

A better shot of the decals. The instructions clearly said to put them facing this way, but they are never going to see the light of day once they are in the fuselage...

IMG_1208_zps63067859.jpg

Some of the pieces involved in the next step, special thanks to Revell for making all of these external parts chrome...I assume I can just paint over it and not worry about the whole caustic soda thing, or at least I can hope. Also, the instructions say to attach the rotor blades to the hubs, and then insert that into the shaft, but that involves (as far as I can see) forcefully shoving the hubs into the shaft to the point of it bending...I think I'm doing something wrong, l but I have no idea what. But hey, that's a battle I can fight after the whole chrome fiasco.
More to come :D
Turrah!

As it turns out, the problem was that there are little tabs that stick out of the shaft, that fit into slots on the hub to keep it locked in place, but these tabs were too big. Some careful sanding fixed this. Also, I've decided that there isn't really a way around the chrome parts, so later on a little Easy-off session in the garage will take place. I'll be sure to snap some pics once the deed is done.

The reason for the weird detail that will not show is this kit originally was produced with as a see through model with a clear fuselage. Also the original boxing included a means to motorize the rotors, both main and tail. And, it worked fairly well. I wish they would reissue the "phantom" version as they called it. The did a mustang and a B-17. I have the B-17 as they reissued it a few years back. I have seen the mustang, but for some reason not interested in it. But that is why some of the parts detail doesn't make sense, like the radio equipment and framework. With a clear fuselage you could see it.

• Like 1

George: That actually sounds cool, I'd be nice to display this Huey next to a "phantom" one.....

Anyways, it has been 9345983453 years since I last uploaded (6 days). Last time you heard from me, my main rotor pieces were sitting in a pathetic heap of chrome plated mess, but no more! After procrastinating for way too long, I gave the chrome parts a good old Easy Off bath, and then painted them up all pretty like.

IMG_1215_zps03870bf3.jpg

See? Lovely. Although it looks rather shiny and "straight out of the factory", so I am going to do some weathering once it's attached to the transmission.

IMG_1209_zps857eee36.jpg

Speaking of the transmission.........Oh and I left the upper deck unpainted, it was just extra, unnecessary work.

IMG_1213_zpsad5c6853.jpg

I love that wishbone detail...Although every time I see it, it reminds me of how a almost completely bodged the rotor by gluing the halves together before putting the shaft in the middle....

IMG_1211_zps1eedaa2b.jpg

One half of the fuselage is painted (the bottom half). This picture shows the weak attempt at olive drab that the plastic is molded in quite well....

IMG_1212_zps99748c3c.jpg

The lovely, wonderfully detailed engine. I actually love this thing. Shame it'll be covered up, but even so I plan on doing it justice, so expect to see some weathering, although I can't say if said weathering will actually be any good....

That's it for now, now I'm over the whole Easy Off thing, things should go more smoothly (and faster). Pray with me that my first real attempts at weathering go well..

Turrah :D

You have done a great job there, most impressive.

Keep up the good work.

although I can't say if said weathering will actually be any good....

As it probably won't be seen on the finished model, this is an ideal test bed to practice and hone your skills.

Nigel

Go to town on weathering of the engine. The only visible part of it after the fuselage is buttoned up is the exhaust, the top of the rotor drive shaft assembly and a very smaill portion of I believe the transmission section in a cutout on the starboard side of the craft. I had fun doing mine and have to be content with the fact that it is there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...