F-14 Tomcat II Single Type Group Build

I've got a 1/48 Hase F-14A with a Aires 'pit. If my current trend of finishing up my half-builts lets up, I may be in for this one! Tempted by an aggressor scheme.

I'm thinking about this one...

VF-74leftprofiles.jpg

For one of the last three airframes, looks like 36375 as the light grey and 35237 as the dark camo. Only thing is I really wanted to try my hand at a dirty naval sceme..! Hmmmmm

Ouch, it's a bit much for the eyes! Very much similar to the Su-35? Terminator scheme... I do agree that the older Asia Minor scheme looks a lot more classy, elegant even... It's very interesting to hear what the Iranians are doing to their F-14's, would love to see inside the cockpits. BTW Giorgio, is the R-27? missile similar to the AIM-120?

Don't know much about the R-27, I know there's an active radar version and I've heard people saying it has advantages over the AIM-120, but in these things it's hard to tell the truth from the rumours...

For sure it's a pity almost no Tomcat ever used the amraam... I say almost because this missile was actually tested by the Cats of the PMTC... one of these in my long list of "to do" tomcats

Any good tips for decals for a 1/72 'D model?

I have the retirement decals and the Hobbyboss decals in the box, but are looking for some other options..

Which scheme would you prefer ? A standard dirty grey one ? Or a CAG aircraft ? Or one of the "retro" schemes ? There are several options around

And a good kit it is too ! My entry for this STGB will likely be from the same kit

I'm thinking about this one...

VF-74leftprofiles.jpg

For one of the last three airframes, looks like 36375 as the light grey and 35237 as the dark camo. Only thing is I really wanted to try my hand at a dirty naval sceme..! Hmmmmm

The VF-74 aggressor scheme would be a nice choice !

• Like 1

Don't know much about the R-27, I know there's an active radar version and I've heard people saying it has advantages over the AIM-120, but in these things it's hard to tell the truth from the rumours...

For sure it's a pity almost no Tomcat ever used the amraam... I say almost because this missile was actually tested by the Cats of the PMTC... one of these in my long list of "to do" tomcats

A PMTC or other type of 'Test Tomcat' would be a real head turner. If only I could print white for custom decals... An F-14D with x6 AIM-120's and x2 AIM-9's, if only!

Mme. Turtle, not knowing much about models but wanting to be nice, gave me a 1/32 4D Vision F-14A kit for Christmas. It's this one. The pieces are prepainted and it's supposed to snap together, but initial investigation shows that it'll require glue and more effort than the packaging might lead one to believe. It is not a toy.

I hope to weather it and maybe add some details.

May I enter the group build with it?

My final package arrived today; including the fightertown bad cats decals and the res-im resin flaps and slats for the revell 144 tomcat (so no more hunting for the elusive goffy parts) Just need to decide what exactly I'm going to build. . . .

My final package arrived today; including the fightertown bad cats decals and the res-im resin flaps and slats for the revell 144 tomcat (so no more hunting for the elusive goffy parts) Just need to decide what exactly I'm going to build. . . .

What are the resin parts like Neal? Wonder if they got the goffy moulds? Any sign of a banner for the GB

What are the resin parts like Neal? Wonder if they got the goffy moulds? Any sign of a banner for the GB

They look good, surface detail looks to match the kit and I can't see any air bubbles or defects. The flaps on mine are slightly warped but I think that's a result of the packaging being a poly bag. I assume that I can fix this with a dip in hot water? There are also two triangular parts which I've yet to positively identify, I assume that they're inflated wing bags which will require some kit surgery which I might not bother with.

photo-16.jpg

Those look really good Neal, I completely didn't see these at Hannants! Have you seen the Brengun canopy as well? I might invest on some of those.

Haven't got a clue what one I am going to do yet, I got a Hasagawa IdolM@ster version, the "Halloween" version (all 1/72) plus various 1/144 decals... decisions decisions...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Those look really good Neal, I completely didn't see these at Hannants! Have you seen the Brengun canopy as well? I might invest on some of those.

Haven't got a clue what one I am going to do yet, I got a Hasagawa IdolM@ster version, the "Halloween" version (all 1/72) plus various 1/144 decals... decisions decisions...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I did look at the vac formed canopy but my past experience with them suggest it'll be more hassle than its worth. I think retrowings are working on some resin parts (presumeably a cockpit) for the F-14 but I doubt it'll be make it in time for the GB now.

I think I've settled on the Jolly Roger scheme from "the final countdown" but there's still time for me to change my mind.

Can I still join in ?

I have my subject kit chosen : Revell 1:144 F-14A Black Tomcat can either be built as Vandy One (Air Test and Evaluation Squadron VX-4, NAS Pt Mugu) or as 212 - VF-142 Ghostriders, CVW-6, USS America 1976.

Haven't decided which scheme to build yet.

Rick

Can I still join in ?

I have my subject kit chosen : Revell 1:144 F-14A Black Tomcat can either be built as Vandy One (Air Test and Evaluation Squadron VX-4, NAS Pt Mugu) or as 212 - VF-142 Ghostriders, CVW-6, USS America 1976.

Rick

Good choice, there can never be too many 144 scale tomcats!

Tough choice on the scheme though

Can I still join in ?

Rick

Ghostriders.

• Like 1