F-14 Tomcat II Single Type Group Build

In preparation for this STGB I just got myself a couple of Hobbyboss 1/72 kits for an A and a D. Not the best in scale, but I was curious to build these ones, the D in particular as it could be the only really accurate 1/72 D apart from Hasegawa. And I might build this one here if I decide the markings

• Like 1

Just ordered a Hobbyboss 1/72 F-14D so that I "might" join in on this GB as I failed the last one and sold everything....

Let`s hope its a good kit!

Cheers

Orjan,

it looks good in the box, although this should be seen as a competitor to the likes of Revell rather than Hasegawa or Fujimi. Instrument panels and consolles are decals only, on mine I plan on using the leftover PEs from the Hasegawa kits but others may have different ideas.

Panel lines are good and a first look showed that the exhausts are very nice. One of these days I want to have a deeper look at this kit and will report on pros and cons.

I broke down over the weekend and actually started my fujimi kit, it was just sat there and I couldn't hold on any more! :blush::whistle:

But, I plan to crash this one out as a GB warm up and then tackle the 3 'gawa cats at the same time.

Orjan,

it looks good in the box, although this should be seen as a competitor to the likes of Revell rather than Hasegawa or Fujimi. Instrument panels and consolles are decals only, on mine I plan on using the leftover PEs from the Hasegawa kits but others may have different ideas.

Panel lines are good and a first look showed that the exhausts are very nice. One of these days I want to have a deeper look at this kit and will report on pros and cons.

I have some Eduard PE for the Revell Kit. Might fit in the Hobby Boss kit?

Edited by RNoAF Aerobatic Team

I broke down over the weekend and actually started my fujimi kit, it was just sat there and I couldn't hold on any more! :blush::whistle:

But, I plan to crash this one out as a GB warm up and then tackle the 3 'gawa cats at the same time.

Sounds like a good plan, looking forward to see the 3 !

I have some Eduard PE for the Revell Kit. Might fit in the Hobby Boss kit?

MIght, and now that you tell me I have the same Eduard set. I'll check if it can be used

I'm sure nobody will object to me posting some inspiration for the upcoming F-14 STGB..

Looks like Iran is updating their Tomcats and introducing a new colour scheme:

http://theaviationist.com/2014/02/21/new-photo-splinter-iriaf-tomcat/

http://theaviationist.com/2013/09/04/iranian-f-14-tomcat-camo/

I'm not sure I like the splinter scheme, the original Asia Minor scheme looked better IMHO, but it adds to the variety of schemes worn by Iran's Tomcats. Now I need to build 3 of these instead of 2... anyone interested in building one of these for the STGB ?

• Like 1

Well, things are starting to come together for this one.

A nice little delivery from ModelsRGo bringing in the colours that I need for my 3 birds, each of switch has a different version of the commonly applied F-14 camo, or as it's better known '50 Shades of Grey' :lol:

Also, looking through the decals I've narrowed it down to a sundowners, a black knight and a diamondback but haven't chosen the BuNos yet. :pilot:

Good news for you chaps! Keep the ordering going!

My last few bits of aftermarket turned up a few days back so i'm all set! Just hope i get the time to do my 2 entries...

Not long to go now, so hopefully Mish will set up the treads soon to allow us to post our builts before the off.

Dave

I'm sure nobody will object to me posting some inspiration for the upcoming F-14 STGB..

Looks like Iran is updating their Tomcats and introducing a new colour scheme:

http://theaviationist.com/2014/02/21/new-photo-splinter-iriaf-tomcat/

http://theaviationist.com/2013/09/04/iranian-f-14-tomcat-camo/

I'm not sure I like the splinter scheme, the original Asia Minor scheme looked better IMHO, but it adds to the variety of schemes worn by Iran's Tomcats. Now I need to build 3 of these instead of 2... anyone interested in building one of these for the STGB ?

Ouch, it's a bit much for the eyes! Very much similar to the Su-35? Terminator scheme... I do agree that the older Asia Minor scheme looks a lot more classy, elegant even... It's very interesting to hear what the Iranians are doing to their F-14's, would love to see inside the cockpits. BTW Giorgio, is the R-27? missile similar to the AIM-120?

Yes the original colour scheme that the Iranian Tomcats had was probably one of the better ones that the F-14 ever wore..

Jabba, some of the temporary water based U.S. 'Excersise' schemes were nothing short of brilliant. The VF-24 'Thief of Baghdad' and 'Camel Smoker' schemes are well known one but there were others, from VF-1, VF-2, VF-11, VF-14, VF-74, VF-124, VF-211, VF-213. A mixture of greens, browns, greys and blues in bizarre patterns.

Im sure ill be in with 1 or 2, some recent purchases and from stock with AM decals will be on the cards.

Gotta love the cat.

Only 1 or 2... You can't leave it at that...!!!

IF I'm not back in hossy for more Chemo,I'll join in with the HobbyBoss 1/48 F-14B converted into a 'D' mount of either VF31 or VX30,Straight from the box with the only replacement being the seats.

I'd like to join in with Revell's F-14D Super Tomcat, most likely with the kit decals, as it's a colourful option

Sean

• Like 1