F-14 Tomcat II Single Type Group Build

Hi Pat,

Thanks, it was never meant to go this far! Hasegawa really do like to churn them out, there are still a fair few I haven't got...

I like the F-14 because of It's aesthetics, plain and simple. The F-14 is one of a few machines I've ever thought to consider 'beautiful'. It's a very graceful, elegant and aggressive form, in any of it's paint schemes.

I would like to build a prototype or one of the early, seldom seen schemes of the 1970's.

and they're all different! :yikes: (yes I counted them and looked for double ups!)

I hope you have plenty of shelf space!

But I agree with you comments on the "look" of the F14, it's a lovely looking aircraft. Interestingly enough if you forget about the "swing wing", the fuselage shape and design cues are very similar to those of the Mig-29 and Su-27 families.

• Like 1

"can I do a whif"

During the first Tomcat STGB, whifs were allowed, I don't see this being different... but wait for the CO to decide on that !

Nice collection LeVi !!! Looking forward to one of your build.

I like your idea about building a prototype, and I'm planning this myself. The old Matchbox kit was almost a prototype, pity it's so crude. Maybe some enterprising aftermarket company could one day make a conversion for the hasegawa kit

• Like 1

But I agree with you comments on the "look" of the F14, it's a lovely looking aircraft. Interestingly enough if you forget about the "swing wing", the fuselage shape and design cues are very similar to those of the Mig-29 and Su-27 families.

The Su-27 is another great looking fighter, very powerful looking. I too can see 'elements' of the F-14 in certain areas...

The Hasegawa models were picked up every once in a while since I got back into the hobby. It was only when I moved to Banbury did I notice that scale of this madness. Need to find a bigger workstation...

I like your idea about building a prototype, and I'm planning this myself. The old Matchbox kit was almost a prototype, pity it's so crude. Maybe some enterprising aftermarket company could one day make a conversion for the hasegawa kit

Thanks Giorgio. I'm quite fond of prototypes in general with odd bits 'tacked' on here and there and lots of Dayglow! Your plan of building the wooden mock-up is very interesting, would this be the single or double tail version?

An F-14A prototype conversion, we all can dream! Technically, it shouldn't be that hard to do using plasticard and some Milliput... Currently thinking of an F-14B prototype (GE F101 engine), F-14D prototype or an early NASA F-14A spin test jet.

All the best and Happy Holidays/Christmas.

LeVi, I think I'll build the final twin tail mock-up. The single tail would be interesting but it would require some surgery on the Monogram kit and I'm not sure I'l have time to do this. Should I find another of these kits, I might consider this for a future build (likely when I retire... that is still a long way in future)

Agree with you on the prototype: starting from the Hasegawa Wolfpack box, all is needed are the different top of the wing cover with the thicker and bigger fences, and a new gun fairing. Mind, some prototypes were later retrofitted with the final wing seal area and fences, so one of these would only need the new gun bits. The original Airfix kit had this configuration, however it's not really a kit I'd recommend to anyone

Not sure which one you have...if it's the same as I had for the last Tomcat build...avoid...please see page 2 of the thread...http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234910727-148-revell-f-14d-as-a-vf-143-f-14b/ the fit is awful...good luck... :banghead:

Thanks Andy

Great news mine is the same but in a much older box, happy Christmas everyone !

Cheers Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that despite loving the Tomcat, I know very little about it.

What constitutes a Tomcat II, or does this simply mean it's the second Tomcat GB?

If so, does any Tomcat qualify?

I have to admit that despite loving the Tomcat, I know very little about it.

What constitutes a Tomcat II, or does this simply mean it's the second Tomcat GB?

If so, does any Tomcat qualify?

Any Tomcat qualifies. If you like the Tomcat already, prepare to finish the GB LOVING the Tomcat!

With such knowledgeable modellers like Giorgio, Dave and Andy Mullen I'm sure you'll get well acquainted with this awesome plane.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have already said it's just the second STGB dedicated to the Tomcat, so any kit of the F-14 Tomcat qualifies. At the start date the rules will be issued, but I would expect them to be pretty much the same used for the previous Tomcat STGB

A bit of news for all Tomcat lovers: Rob Taurus has recently added to their product line a vacform canopy for the 1/72 Hasegawa kitty. This will sure be useful for those who have a kit with a damaged canopy (for example me) and those who are thinking of building the Matchbox kit but are not happy with the shape of the canopy (and that would be me again!).

Now some may wonder: why would I build a Matchbox kit when I have a dozen of way better kits in the stash ? Because 1) I have it in the stash and every kit in my stash is worth building, no matter how bad it is. And 2) it's closer to a prototype in shape and I might build one of the prototypes

Just bought a 2nd hand book,"F-14 Tomcat" by Tony Holmes (1991 Military Press) and found on the last two pages a remarkable Tomcat!

How cool is this?! I don't see myself making one like this, but what a great 'different' cat!

20140116_203836_zpsudklzuf6.jpg

20140116_203922_zpsjzaldk4n.jpg

• Like 1

That does look interesting!

There are so many schemes to build. From my stash I hope to make:

F-14D VF-31 x2

F-14B VF-102

F-14B VF-101

F-14A VF-21

F-14A VF-41

F-14A VF-154

Plan is to get most done this year (hopefully 2 for this GB) then start adding more to the stash. I eventually hope to have about 50 1/48 'cats built up.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Dermo - this is a link to the book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0517056976/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1391726206&sr=8-7Ï€=AC_SX110_SY165

I believe it was being tested post revamp - you can see it's 'knelt' ( front landing gear compressed as if mounting the cat) and shackled, with FOD screens on the intakes. So probably an engine test bed or something. Really unique pic I thought!

The book is great, only goes up to around 1990 in terms of a pictorial history, but some great pics and information by Tony Holmes.

A, P&W engines. Also note the early intermediate nose sensor, Intermediate gun gas vents. As far as I know the A+/B models came with the NACA (hourglass shaped) gun gas vents and they had the chunky GE engines.

The one in the picture sure is a mid production F-14A. Has the final version of the original gun gas vents but no ECM under the wing gloves and on the boat tail.

The paint is likely just primer, apart from certain parts that would be supplied in the final colour as the composite radome and stabilators.

There's a G611 code on the tail, I thought it could have been the construction number, but Tomcat Nr. 611 was an F-14D....

Just over a month to go chaps and chapettes!

Exciting, isn't it? :bounce:

When were the Airfix and Matchbox kits released? I built them both close together and haven't built an F-14 since.

I know! Outrageous! :banghead: