Harrier II Single Type Group Build

Thanks muchly Mish!

Roll up roll up Harrier Fans!

Interest has been good so far, as you would hope from BM. Ill hold my hand up and admit that I can't (won't) copy all the names across from the other thread as its a PITA on my phone!

That doesn't mean I've forgotten who was interested, feel free to sign up again.

Anyone's welcome in the GB

It's a bit scary to think that we're planning for a GB that won't take place for eight months! But then we started planning the Obsolete Kits GB even further back than that and it starts in ten days t ten day's time.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I shall be building P.1127(RAF) XV276 in natural metal using the new Airfix GR1 kit. I will also be building GR3 XV738/B of IV Sqn. There's a possibility of a Sword T-bird in there as well.

I know I won't be able to wait until May to build the Airfix kit, so I'll be converting one into an AV-8C shortly.

It's a bit scary to think that we're planning for a GB that won't take place for eight months! But then we started planning the Obsolete Kits GB even further back than that and it starts in ten days t ten day's time.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I shall be building P.1127(RAF) XV276 in natural metal using the new Airfix GR1 kit. I will also be building GR3 XV738/B of IV Sqn. There's a possibility of a Sword T-bird in there as well.

I know I won't be able to wait until May to build the Airfix kit, so I'll be converting one into an AV-8C shortly.

It's true that it seems a long way off but these GBs always seem to come up quick!!

Look forward to seeing the AV8C, I'm just waiting for Eduard to pull their finger out with the canopy mask for the GR1 them I'm going to start mine!

As a Harrier SiG member I've got to be in this. YAV-8B prototype I think.

Enzo, there is an article the Harrier SiG did on building the AV-8C I lost my copy when my system died...looks like the YAV-8B one has gone as well.

I like the long lead-ins on BM GBs, gives time to assemble everything required before it starts :pig:

So I'd like to do a 1/72 Hasegawa GR5 that is sitting in my stash.... but reading through various comments I see that I need to make some mods. I'll probably pick up the aries exhaust, but is the quickboost nose really necessary? The seat probably requires replacement... what about the cockpit tub itself (and does someone make that?

Many thanks in advance.

So I'd like to do a 1/72 Hasegawa GR5 that is sitting in my stash.... but reading through various comments I see that I need to make some mods. I'll probably pick up the aries exhaust, but is the quickboost nose really necessary? The seat probably requires replacement... what about the cockpit tub itself (and does someone make that?

Many thanks in advance.

I'll caveat my reply by saying I've never built one! I've got the Revell boxing of the GR7 though and on comparison to the Airfix kit it has pros and cons. As you say the seat is the US stencil seat (like the 1/48 kits too) but this can be solved with the Pavla resin one for a meagre outlay. As for the pit you could try and fit the Pavla one designed for the Airfix kit in, but you'd need to modify the IP to remove one MFD and add the round rolling map, a la this pic:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234928509-harrier-cockpit-differences;-gr5-to-gr7/

Otherwise I think there's an Eduard etch set designed for the GR5

The other 'issue' is the moulded closed airbrake, which is normally down on the ground. The quickboost part will help here. As I said I've not got the kit to compare the noses so I can't comment, but it's your model so it's up to you ultimately. I have used the QB part to convert an Airfix GR7/9 back to a GR5, in the last GB no less.

The pluses of the kit are the more restrained panel lines, and number one in my eyes, especially for a GR5, it comes with gun pods!

I'm sure there's stuff I've missed but I hope that helps!

Phil

I'll caveat my reply by saying I've never built one! I've got the Revell boxing of the GR7 though and on comparison to the Airfix kit it has pros and cons. As you say the seat is the US stencil seat (like the 1/48 kits too) but this can be solved with the Pavla resin one for a meagre outlay. As for the pit you could try and fit the Pavla one designed for the Airfix kit in, but you'd need to modify the IP to remove one MFD and add the round rolling map, a la this pic:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234928509-harrier-cockpit-differences;-gr5-to-gr7/

Otherwise I think there's an Eduard etch set designed for the GR5

The other 'issue' is the moulded closed airbrake, which is normally down on the ground. The quickboost part will help here. As I said I've not got the kit to compare the noses so I can't comment, but it's your model so it's up to you ultimately. I have used the QB part to convert an Airfix GR7/9 back to a GR5, in the last GB no less.

The pluses of the kit are the more restrained panel lines, and number one in my eyes, especially for a GR5, it comes with gun pods!

I'm sure there's stuff I've missed but I hope that helps!

Phil

Thanks Phil!

I've got a run to the CZ coming up so a bunch of pavla and QB sets are easy to come by. I'm pretty excited to get started. Question; the kit comes with 1st and 3rd squadron decals... did either participate in any important events?

Many thanks in advance.

Neu,

The Hasegawa Harriers are very nice AV-8B's but require some work to add the lumps and bumps of the RAF Harrier GR5/7/9's. Your best bet is to get hold of the Aeroguide on the Harrier GR5/7, it is a very good reference with plenty of pics. The Quickboost nose is very good and does make a difference to the overall look, and as Phil has mentioned, the airbrake is also an essential purchase. Forget the Eduard set for the GR5 as it doesn't have the right cockpit details for a GR5, it has the 2 MFDs of the GR7 and is also discontinued by Eduard anyway. An option to consider would be the set for the Revell/Hasegawa GR7/9 with some modification to the instrument panel to backdate it to a GR5.The Pavla MB Mk12 seat is a very nicely priced seat and will instantly make a difference to the kit cockpit. Another item to consider is the Aires wheel wells as most Harriers have the nose wheel doors open when parked up but Hasegawa have moulded both sets closed. Aires have also just released some resin wheels with masks for the Hasegawa Harriers which look quite nice. In short, if want a really accurate Harrier GR5 from the Hasegawa kit, be prepared to put in some work and spend some money!

Mark.

Thanks Phil!

I've got a run to the CZ coming up so a bunch of pavla and QB sets are easy to come by. I'm pretty excited to get started. Question; the kit comes with 1st and 3rd squadron decals... did either participate in any important events?

I think a 1 Sqn GR5 carried out the first live firing of a Sidewinder AIM9-L by a GR5.

Mark.