Wierd Effect of Tube Glue on Polystyrene

Nigel Heath

Twenty hours or so after I filled the base of my vacformed Dalek with casting resin I found a small area where the plastic had softened to something a bit like stiff chewing gum:

P1010011_zps9df3603c.jpg

It more or less elastically recovers:

P1010012_zps655e0285.jpg

I don't know the resin chemistry but it is one of those clear embedding types, I got it from Hobby Craft and filled it with some powdered filler and black weathering powder. It only appears to have affected a small area about 1 by 2cm.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Will the plastic reharden or is there anything I can proactively do about it like putting it in a low oven, exposing to UV light, nuclear radiation, etc.?

Edited by Nigel Heath

I haven't seen this before but the casting resin is polyester based. Maybe what you should ahve used is the eurathane foam in a can, it sets up quickly and you can cut the excess of with a breadknife.

I have now found that its not the resin at all - its the tube glue, the problem only occurs where parts have been added using it. I have found a few other areas as well. It still seems as soft today as yesterday, its a bit concerning. I hope it does dry out and harden up eventually.

P1010014_zps7e8273e8.jpg

It has also caused this bulging:

P1010015_zpsd88b907b.jpg

Anyone had this problem?

I've had it in the past. It will harden up, but its not going to happen over night. I used tube cement to add stiffeners into a vac form aircraft because I thought it would give it a bit of strength, which it did, but it took a good 2 weeks before the kit could be worked on. If I was you I'd put it to one side, and give the glue time to do its thang. It's not a lost cause, it's just going to take a bit of time to cure off, and then you can set about rectifying the damage.

Liquid poly is definitely my glue of choice but it was fun splashing around in copious quantities of tube glue. I think if I had left the polystyrene cement to outgas overnight it might have been OK. I exacerbated the problem by sealing in the solvent with impermeable resin, it then had nowhere to go but through the plastic.