What If - EB52 Megafortress - how to go about it ?

Rickpadwick1801

Alan how did you do the tail canards ?? what did you use ?.

I used the wings from an old Revell 1/48 F-8 Crusader.

Nice job Alan that looks great. What kit did you as a base and what bits did you add I.e. engines ?

Rick

Hi Rick

Base kit was the AMT/ERTL B-52H. The nose came from a 1/32 Phantom centre line drop tank. The tail fins/rudders were the wings of a 1/48 Revell F-8 Crusader. 4 of the CFM-56 engines were salvaged from a wrecked Italeri KC-135. The other 2 came from the Flightpath CFM-56 engine set. Winglets are the wings of an ancient Testors Supermarine Swift. Unfortunately, the model is now in the hangar awaiting a complete rebuild following an accident involving a vacuum cleaner!! :weep:

As a rule, I tend to avoid 1/144 scale but, I like the idea in a previous post of a 1/144 model using a Concorde nose/forward fuselage to provide the streamlined fuselage of the "real" Old Dog.. I'm certainly not carving up either of my 1/72 Concordes for the rebuild of the larger model..

Not exactly an "Old Dog" - but a lot of "fun" (If you have EVER tackled the AMT B-52, you will know what I mean by "fun" :D . The most difficult parts were getting the shape of the nose cone to match the shape of the fuselage!! Wonderful stuff Milliput!. I had to do a lot of trimming/reshaping to make the engine pylons conform to the shape of the wing underside.. I don't own an airbrush so, model was painted by hand (Yes! that's right - with a hairy stick!)! - remember them? :lol: . Base colour was Revell Aqua Panzergrau.

I intend to use the remaining pair of CFM-56 engines on an "Old Pup" :lol: using the Hasegawa B-47

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I used the wings from an old Revell 1/48 F-8 Crusader.

Hi Rick

Base kit was the AMT/ERTL B-52H. The nose came from a 1/32 Phantom centre line drop tank. The tail fins/rudders were the wings of a 1/48 Revell F-8 Crusader. 4 of the CFM-56 engines were salvaged from a wrecked Italeri KC-135. The other 2 came from the Flightpath CFM-56 engine set. Winglets are the wings of an ancient Testors Supermarine Swift. Unfortunately, the model is now in the hangar awaiting a complete rebuild following an accident involving a vacuum cleaner!! :weep:

As a rule, I tend to avoid 1/144 scale but, I like the idea in a previous post of a 1/144 model using a Concorde nose/forward fuselage to provide the streamlined fuselage of the "real" Old Dog.. I'm certainly not carving up either of my 1/72 Concordes for the rebuild of the larger model..

Not exactly an "Old Dog" - but a lot of "fun" (If you have EVER tackled the AMT B-52, you will know what I mean by "fun" :D . The most difficult parts were getting the shape of the nose cone to match the shape of the fuselage!! Wonderful stuff Milliput!. I had to do a lot of trimming/reshaping to make the engine pylons conform to the shape of the wing underside.. I don't own an airbrush so, model was painted by hand (Yes! that's right - with a hairy stick!)! - remember them? :lol: . Base colour was Revell Aqua Panzergrau.

I intend to use the remaining pair of CFM-56 engines on an "Old Pup" :lol: using the Hasegawa B-47

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the info.

Those hairy sticks you mention are my best friend. I have a starter airbrush (no compressor just gas can) that I haven't even started to use yet and won't for a while till I have the £ for a compressor.

Cheers,

Rick

rick theres a few iwata second hand compressors on ebay thats where i got mine , iwata in the uk serviced and fixed it for me when it broke down ..

worth checking mate..

thomas

Thanks Thomas.

I will have a look on ebay tonight.

I am still thinking about my mega fortress build.

Rick

what you thinking mate ? the scale or ? ..

thomas

I am thinking about how to do this. I have never scratch built anything before, so I am slightly concerned that this is slightly beyond my skill evel, but I guess I will never know without trying.

I have yet to find a kit to base this on as I have been spending a lot of time working on other kits in my stash that need finishing.

Rick

I am thinking about how to do this. I have never scratch built anything before, so I am slightly concerned that this is slightly beyond my skill evel, but I guess I will never know without trying.

I have yet to find a kit to base this on as I have been spending a lot of time working on other kits in my stash that need finishing.

Rick

Hi Rick.

There was actually very little scratchbuilding involved in my model - I guess it just depends how far you actually want to go towards getting a "real" EB-52. I certainly wasn't aiming for that with my build.It was purely a fun project. Most of the work was adapting other kit parts & getting them to fit!!. Brush painting something the size of a B-52 is a bit of a chore though!! :lol: . Refuse to get an airbrush though!! I just don't like the things! :D

Allan

3rd version: Bomb bay mounted Tactical Laser System.

Not to confuse the subject even more, but that's an entirely different aircraft called the AL-52 Dragon. I can't remember if there was 2 or 3 or more. Although I think there was 3. Anyhow, they where armed with a chemical laser (a COIL, or chlorine-oxygen-iodine laser) and later on, one was modified to carry a Plasma-Pumped Solid-State laser.

I'm not sure, but I think the Flighthawk carrier was a different version also... or it used the rear bay as the carrier bit.

You'd need ECM pods where the fuel tanks are also. I've also checked the designations. We have the Old Dog which is an B-52I Megafotress (I'm sure the Megafotress in "Night of the Hawk" was a different model), a B-52M Megafotress Plus which was first seen in Day of the Cheetah (that book reminds me of Macross Plus too much!). Finally the EB-52H was seen in SkyMasters. All good fun... Been meaning to make one of these myself as well as an EB-1C Vampire, Cheetah and Dreamstar. I read all the books in 2 weeks while on Jury Service, gotta love the legal system eh??

I was wondering when your monster would turn up Albeback52, love that beast! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

Aha!! I bow to your greater knowledge, Dazzio !!

My point is though, there are plenty of versions of the Megafortress to choose from!

"Greater Knowledge"??!! Nah... Useless Knowledge more like, also Wiki was my friend when I wasn't sure. ;)

But yeah, there is 6-8 different versions that I can think of. The Old Dog would be the easiest to make as it has the original 8 engines that the B-52 has. I guess the AL-52 would be the hardest to make... God knows how you'd even go about making that chemical laser...

Kind Regards

Dazz

I know its not strictly accurate, but I have something that will help me. I will be looking at the manuals to the old pc game Mega fortress. The manual has a lot of details about the plane including blue prints.

Does anyone think it would be possible to create a conversion kit for a Megafortress using something like 3d printing (shapeways ?) What would be involved ?

Rick

How about using a large scale Pave Tack pod? I would say that most military style lasers would look broadly similar - just dress it up with some greeblies, and/or some warning decals and it should look just fine!

The AL52 Dragon had a nose turret with a deformable mirror built in and the actual laser equipment took up the aircrafts bomb bays. The external pylons could still be used for normal weaponry.

Rick

If the size is right how about using something like half of one of the little canisters that the Kinder Egg novelties are packed in for the nose turret?

• 7 months later...

Even though it has been months since I posted on this thread, I am thinking about this kit....I really want to do this, just gotta do the research and planning phase....

like what planning mate ?? copy mine !! what scale ?? am doing it in 1/72 ...

thomas

like what planning mate ?? copy mine !! what scale ?? am doing it in 1/72 ...

thomas

Where to get the money from, what components to buy, what kit to use as a base. That sort of thing I am planning mainly because I am not allowed to start it yet, got to many kits to be getting on with.

Have you got a link to your WIP thread for it ?

Rick

Where to get the money from, what components to buy, what kit to use as a base. That sort of thing I am planning mainly because I am not allowed to start it yet, got to many kits to be getting on with.

Have you got a link to your WIP thread for it ?

Rick

not started a thread yet mate as going on holiday a week on monday for two weeks ..