Not so Golden Scooter - Calling this one complete.

I bought this kit quite a few years ago, I'd converted the Revell OA-4M to a TA-4K and cut and shut a Fujimi TA-4 nose to a Hasegawa rear to create another one. Finally a TA-4K was produced to build one out of the box, except you can only do the two ex RAN machines '55 and '56 before they were converted to Kahus as the tail is the earlier curved one. Then Hasegawa brought out their family sized Scooter and the CA went back in the loft.

Ok so it is going to be a challenge, Trickyrich is already ahead of the game with his build and I'm hoping he'll have spotted the mines for me. I'm still nailing my CA Seahawk together for the FAA GB so this is just marking my ground.

IMGP4470_zps912c61fc.jpg

As Trickeyrich is doing 56 as the Golden Scooter and my original OA-4M conversion is finished as this machine, I have two choices, either the classic Gull Grey and white of the RAN at the time of transfer or the same machine but as the testbed for the Golden Scooter special scheme, i.e one side tricked up the other as standard. At this point I'm learning to the latter but there's time to chnage my mind.

I really need confirmation that the starboard side retained the Kiwi roundels and fin flash, all the photos are of the port side with the flashy new markings.

IMGP4472_zpsa7396400.jpg

I still have the remants of the superb, fantastic, magnificent Gekko Graphics A-4 sets, and the so so Model Alliance Golden Skyhawk set(complete with accuracy issues) so either is possible.

Watch this space for developments

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see it before it was painted gold and only have the same pics you do. My understanding was that the starboard side had the markings as applied on the port side of the in flight shot of the four TA-4s.

Note that the squared fin tip was not added until just before the gold paint scheme was applied, and after the grey and white was stripped. What you see in the paint shop is the aircraft with the fin tip removed - hence the reason it looks like it is squared off (on the Wings Over Cambridge page for the jet, the images are out of order and the bare metal jet should be after all of the grey/white ones).

Also, one other point to note for the grey trial scheme is that this aircraft had one further thing that never made it to the gold jet - the port wingtip had a blue/white/red stripe on the end, outboard of the aileron.

Edited by Talon

I've gotten no where really, just cleaned up (lots of work there), the intakes (quite a bit of work there) and the "quilting" on the cockpit side panels (glad thats going to be hidden! :whistle: ) actually it's not that bad.

I've just started my new shift roster so I won't get back to mine till late October or November!! So I'll be watching you! :D

I had a day at Wolfpacks so I got a lot of the preparation work out of the way whilst talking to Wolfie.

As trickyrich has said in his thread there are a lot of badly placed moulding turrets that need grinding. Thanks to Wolfie for use of the dremel.

A4GB4_zps21726f7b.jpg

the top half shows the extent and location of the problem.

Next are the lovely resin pieces cleaned up. The wheel bays look very like the ones in the Hasegawa kit and contain, I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong, the body of the cannon which is not appropriate for this build.

A4GB5_zpsa592f228.jpg

The moulding turrets infest the wing pieces as well as seen below.A4GB6_zps0953aee5.jpg

Some realprogress happened late in the afternoon. Firstly the cockpit quilting material was scribed to an vague approxiation of the real thin, the intakes were test fitted and the wheel bays test fitted into the wingas and they fit perfectly. Full marks for this Classic Airframes or Az models depending who has the moulds now.A4GB7_zps70c94fc3.jpg

So, a few steps forward for this one. It's back on the shelf for a while whilst I finish my Seahawk for the FAA GB.

Thanks for looking

I haven't looked at the wheel wells yet, but guess those cannons have to go!

My intake fan was slightly damaged though that should be a problem.

I like your "quilting", looks much better than mine!

The kit looks exactly like the AZ models one i built (assuming AZ used the CA mould) if so then the kit comes with blanks for the wing roots where the gun barrels go. Which is good, since goldie didnt fly with guns, but the grey one did.

Also i remember alot of the resin i had to sand down to paper thin to get it to fit nicely.

Scorpionmikey,

She certainly did fly with the port gun port and associated staining but did they fit a gun to the starboard side? I know a lot flew asymmetrically and I have yet to find a starboard side picture of '56.

Trickyrich, I didn't have that issue though there was a moulding turret right in the centre of the fan housing.

No a lot of progress, but I have at least sources a bent refueling probe as the kit comes with the long straight one.

So by way of a diversion meet her sisters;

A4GB11_zpse951b2d4.jpg

That's NZ56251 in the SEA camouflage, she is a Hasegawa A4F rear with a Fujimi two seater nose, built about six years ago. Next is my Revell/Monogram OA-4M converted to a TA- 4K,also about six years ago and finished as NZ6256, in Golden Skyhawk guise. I know the slats bays should be black and the decals aren't right but I didn't have as much info then as I do now. The psuedo-Euro 1 machine is NZ6252 and is a modified Hasegawa kit. '51 and 52 use the superlative Gekko Graphics decals.

A4GB10_zps5aa3d0f0.jpg

thanks for looking. More progress soon.

• Like 2

First up here are the turbine fans, not sure anyone will see the one in the intake but the one at the end of the tail pipe will only be able to been see with the help of a strong pen light!

A4GB12_zps9f581f5f.jpg

I've started work on the cockpits, as '56 was not converted to Kahu standard until after the paint trial I've stuck with dials rather than screens.

A4GB13_zpsaab9dd1f.jpg

More weathering to do and the seats need finishing. More prgress later in the week I hope.

• Like 1

Im not sure if it was just my kit, my building ability or what but the bell shaped piece with the fan at the base was about 2 or 3 mm smaller across the wide part than the intake ducts, so when i had it all buttoned up there was a small step around the outer edge of the inside of the intake. I found by painting bright white it masked it to some degree.

I managed to get both fuselage halves together with some arm wrestling but the fit is very poor. It doesn't help that the two halves are different lengths, I feel my mojo ebbing on this one so I'm putting her to one side for a while before the filling and sanding process.

I managed to get both fuselage halves together with some arm wrestling but the fit is very poor. It doesn't help that the two halves are different lengths, I feel my mojo ebbing on this one so I'm putting her to one side for a while before the filling and sanding process.

I have heard of that problem before with the fuselage plus besides being different lengths they can also be quite warped.

Think I have had some luck there, dry fits show there is very little warpage and they are both the same length!

I bet though there is something nasty waiting for me..........

No issues with the fan but if the tail was right the nose was 3-4mm out and the cockpit opening was offset as was the NACA vent on the upper fuselage. Time for reflection and a couple of beers I think. I'm working away from home next week so maybe it is something to take with me to pass those boring nights stuck in a strange town.