British Paratroops Airfix 1/32 scale

jeff1200

9618217690_b86285382a_b.jpg

British Paratroops Airfix 1:32 scale

This is more of an experiment with painting soft plastic than a serious attempt at figures.

I picked out 6 different poses from the pack of 14 figures.

Cleaned them with detergent (office label remover)

Filled in the dimples in the backs and filled and smoothed the moulding join line.

Painted with acrylic paints.

Comments on the Kit:
Advantages, one-piece

Disadvantages, not poseable, limitations of moulding mean some of the limbs are joined to the body where in reality there would be a gap.
Sten gun muzzles are very fragile.

As expected, even after cleaning there are adhesion problems with the paint, although 2 or three coats seem to work.

• Like 2

Nice job on the painting.

I have some figures in this kind of plastic - and read that people have had success using Rust-oleum Plastic Primer. This is designed for all kinds of plastic (including polypropylene) - hope to try it soon. Another tip I read was to use Artist Gesso (normally used to prime and seal artist canvas for oil painting). Not tried that one either :-)

anthony

Rather splendid sir, and not ruined with a whole lot of gloss either. I have the 8th Army and U.S. Army figures due a clean and repaint myself, I hope

they come out as nice as these figures, :thumbsup:

Sean

When you take into account that these figures are designed as toys, you have done an outstanding job on them!

As Airfix expanded their range the quality of the figures improved.

I remember the American paratroopers and modern British infantry were very nice little figures.

Great work on the Paras!

First rate paint job! Just one thing, the rifle barrel was enclosed by the wooden handguard from just forward of the breech to just behind the foresight, so the rifle fore-end should be painted in all wood colour not metal on top.

Edited by 593jones

• 4 weeks later...

This brings back some memories Jeff! In fact I think I still have some of mine from when I was a lad somewhere, in various states of painting, melting and general disrepair!

They are frustrating figures as, in most cases, they are beautifully sculpted...but that plastic is horrible! Can I ask how you dealt with the moulding seams? I seem to recall my normal methos of scraping just produces a ragged edge on this stuff which looked awful.

The modern issue ones seem to be moulded in a slightly harder plastic than the 70s/80s ones - at least the Mountain Troops I bought this year are.

One tip for painting was to coat them in a thin layer of PVA first. Seams were removed by slicing with a very sharp scalpel blade.

You've done a nice job of them.

Prepare yourself for an old man's memories...

I had all of the Airfix 1/32 figures back in the seventies, they were 25p a box. Never bothered painting them as I was too busy re-enacting Arnhem using my little sister's doll-house.

• Haha 1