Vulcan XH558 grounded by fuel leak

Rickpadwick1801

The Vulcan To The Sky Trust have posted on Facebook that XH558 will not be flying today due to a fuel tank leak.

She was due to be displaying at the Bournemouth and Shoreham Airshows today. I was going to go down to Littlehampton beach and with her fly along the coast between Bournemouth and Shoreham especially a that would have been the only time I would see her flying this year.

Slightly disappointed, but happier that they are protecting the aircraft and crew. Hope they get her in the air again soon.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

So that's why! I was wondering why it didn't turn up!,

while on the subject! does anyone know why the BBMF turned up at Shoreham today with only the Lancaster and hurricane! but no spitfire!

very odd to see it in that configuration!.

Edited by nicE1

Went to Shoreham today and was looking forward to the Vulcan, lets hope they can fix it soon

Had a good day otherwise; Typhoon, F-86, Hunter, B-25, P-40 and Skyraider were highlights for me and always good to see the Lancaster, B-17 and the BoB set piece

Getting out at the end was a bit of a 'mare though

I was there yesterday. Not a bad show. Interesting drop plane for the Falcons...a Skyvan no less!! The lack of the Vulcan was filled in with an extra performance by the B-25 and C-47 that remains static usually. Incidentally on speaking with a man at the VTST tent, he was sayin that they need nore funds for a wing leading edge mod so that might be another delay and huge fund rasier. Apparently it was the No.7 tank that was leaking.

I'll be posting pics up tonight hopefully.

Chris you say it was a nightmare getting out!! Not half it was!! I moved from where I was parked to watch the hordes converge in two fan shaped queues on to one gate!! I sat still and patiently waited in my car for about an hour and a half waiting for it to thin down... a bit!! I also heard lots of shouting and swearing beteween the REAC bods who were marshalling and irate people !!! Somehow I don't think I'll bother any more.

One other annoying aspect of the show, despite people say it adds to the atmosphere is the inconsiderate placing of the tents and jeeps for the dressing up brigade/re enactors between the warbirds and crowd line!!! This makes it virtually impossible to take decent photos of them! I politely asked one re enactor if he would mind moving his jeep that was parked up infront of a Hurricane. His expression was of immense pain and reluctance that it took all of 10 minutes for him make a move and actually move the thing!! Waiting that length of time is horrendous and very patience stretching I can tell you!! Then there are the other vehicles moving around on airside getting in your way!!

Aaaaargh!

Incidentally on speaking with a man at the VTST tent, he was sayin that they need nore funds for a wing leading edge mod so that might be another delay and huge fund rasier.

This is the mod that will make the difference between flying ending after the 2013 season and carrying on another couple of years. If you go to the website you'll see they're planning and funding it in phases. I've slipped them a few quid to help out with Phase 2 and have a "share certificate" (!) to prove it. This doesn't mean I own any of XH558, though.:(

The latest Vulcan to the sky newsletter states that they will be unable to fly at RAF Leuchars this weekend.

They are apparently only half way to the 2013 season funding with only eight weeks to go. They are also concerned that they might have to make a new fuel tank for XH558 as they don't know if it can be repaired.

I hope she can get sorted soon. She was truly awesome at Blackpool. Infact, the whole airshow was fantastic. It made Sunderland look rubbish.

Edited by DanSAR95

Blackpools' airshow was great but i tthought the Vulcan display was more than a little underwhelmming, they seem to get shorter every display i see as well as a little over frugal with it

I think the trouble is, if you are old enough to remember how they used to display the aircraft back in her heyday, then the modern displays can seem underwhelming, in comparison. Totally understandable that they take much greater care with her now.