Moments from my car modelling history

Thanks a lot gentlemen, I'm glad you like it. The 40CV remains one of my top favourite finished models.

Steve; sorry for the late reply on the Messerschmitt vents. They are the kits original moulded vents painted in with Humbrol 85, my usual friend when it comes to painting small holes. The mouldings were quite sharp and deep enough to allow this. The vents on top of the engine cover were cut from one of the spare kits and inserted. Decals indeed home drawn and home printed on an Alps.

• Like 1

Here is my take on Tamiya's 2CV. I started this build early 2011 by accident as I had two Tamiya kits laying around that I had nipped the rims from. They looked nice as kits though, so something had to be done. The bimotor Sahara version. With it's larger 16" wheels I would have to get other wheels anyway.

The work went on well and soon the chassi was done as well the body modifications. The dash panel was scratched, as was the tunnel for the gear linkage. The bonnet is in resin and taken from Gunzes (Heller) 2CV "Lupin III" kit. It had to be stretched in length and adapted to meet Tamiya's fenders and body, then the spare wheel tub was made. The engines were modified to look more like the earlier 2CV engines. Valve covers, fuel tanks, rims and tyres were drawn up in SolidWorks and 3D-printed with a good service sadly no longer available.

When it came to scratch building the necessary seats the whole project suddenly stalled. It sat like that to the end of the year before I was forced to build a similar seat for another project (which is now stalled...), and when that worked ok I did these as well and finally finished the model. Hope you will enjoy.

2CV_Sahara_1.jpg

2CV_Sahara_2.jpg

2CV_Sahara_3.jpg

2CV_Sahara_4.jpg

2CV_Sahara_5.jpg

2CV_Sahara_6.jpg

2CV_Sahara_7.jpg

2CV_Sahara_8.jpg

2CV_Sahara_9.jpg

2CV_Sahara_10.jpg

2CV_Sahara_12.jpg

• Like 6

Another beautifully understated finish Jörgen ! How did you get such a nice scale gloss on it - did you just polish the paint rather than using clearcoat?

Not a car I'd really have much interest in, but an absolutely lovely model again!

All lovely builds but the 40CV is something else!

Beautiful weathering and so convincing. It's the first time I've seen one of these built (apart from Profil's publicity shots) and I'm amazed how good it looks.

Wonderful work :worthy: .

Dave

What a great project. Makes me wonder if it is probably unique?

Well thought out. I do admire the way you have added things like the fuel tanks behind the filler caps. (wouldn't like to sit over a fuel tank personally)

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks gentlemen, I'm glad you like them.

Paint; I do different things but I usually try to avoid what looks like rather thick and super polished clear coats. When I use clear it's always automotive 2K sprayed with an airbrush as thin as I can possibly get away with. The Saab, Messerschmitt and Citroen here are sprayed with automotive touch up spray decanted into the airbrush jar, with a little retarder added to slow down the drying a bit. Then they are just lightly polished, no clear. The MkIIb has thin 2K clear and the 40CV thin 2K clear with a good deal of matting agent added. Another trick I have also used is to add just a small amount of matting agent to the 2K clear on an ordinary gloss body, just to tone down the shine ever so slightly.

Paint; I do different things but I usually try to avoid what looks like rather thick and super polished clear coats. When I use clear it's always automotive 2K sprayed with an airbrush as thin as I can possibly get away with. The Saab, Messerschmitt and Citroen here are sprayed with automotive touch up spray decanted into the airbrush jar, with a little retarder added to slow down the drying a bit. Then they are just lightly polished, no clear. The MkIIb has thin 2K clear and the 40CV thin 2K clear with a good deal of matting agent added. Another trick I have also used is to add just a small amount of matting agent to the 2K clear on an ordinary gloss body, just to tone down the shine ever so slightly.

Thanks Jörgen, some good tricks there I'll try when (if ?!) I ever get back to my car models. Most of the ones I still want to build are from the 70's & 80's & mile deep clear coats just look wrong on cars of that age. I used to like using decanted cellulose car spray paint that polished up with a nice subdued gloss, but the new acrylic ones seem to be much shinier when polished out (which I guess is what you want on a real car!)

Keep those superb models of yours coming....!!

Keith

Many thanks gentlemen. If it's my fault that some model from the stash needs to built I'm more than happy to take the blame. :D

1/32 it was, not my usual scale as have been mostly occupied with 1/43 and 1/24, but let's look for 1/32 in the shelves, and one of the models I find is the Auto Union Typ D with twin compressor from 1939. It's the Revell (ex Matchbox I believe) kit that I built late 2005. A quite nice little kit that I enjoyed building. The wheels were modified using photo etched spokes from some old Herb Deeks(?) wheel set that I managed to fit in the kit wheels after removing the crude plastic spokes. The engine also got a little extra detail.

AU_typD_1.jpg

AU_typD_2.jpg

AU_typD_3.jpg

AU_typD_4.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Many thanks for the praise gentlemen. As there was talk in another thread about Ford MkIV models I got inspired to post something more in this my thread of older models I've built. So we return to Le Mans 24h 1967 and the moment Bruce McLaren leaves the pits after extensive repairs to #2, SAI entered MkIV chassis J5.

Around 10 am in the Sunday morning with McLaren in the car at 5th place, the latches of rear hinged tail came undone at about 200 mph down the Mulsanne Straight and the whole tail was ripped off. McLaren visited the pits and got some straps, set out again and retrieved the damaged tail. Back in the pits the rear end was rebuilt with tape, straps, sheet aluminium and plastic. McLaren then rejoined race and they finished in 4th place.

The model is 1/24 resin from LMM with resin tyres from my own castings. I built this in 2006 IIRC and had some interesting hours feeling my way through the weathering work, which I tried to do pretty close to my references. I was planning to make a small base for the model with the pit wall behind it, but shamefully that has never happened...

MkIV_2_1.jpg

MkIV_2_2.jpg

MkIV_2_3.jpg

MkIV_2_4.jpg

MkIV_2_5.jpg

As I had finished J5, and also J4 from Sebring -67, I felt I was in good mood for MkIV's and decided to do the rest of the Le Mans -67 MkIV's, while I was at it.

First is the winning #1, chassis J6, also an SAI entry just like J5. This is also a LMM kit.

MkIV_1_1.jpg

MkIV_1_2.jpg

Then we have chassis J7 and J8, #3 and #4 respectively. These are also based on LMM's #1 kits, but I used the decals from Renaissance. As these two cars were H&M entries there was a lot of detail differences that I had to research and modify, which just made it more interesting.

MkIV_3_1.jpg

MkIV_3_2.jpg

MkIV_4_1.jpg

MkIV_4_2.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome work, every single one is stunning.

The finish and weathering is perfect, please keep them coming

Paul