Moments from my car modelling history

Thanks a lot gentlemen. I'm late replying, again... The 1/1 scale Miata is metallic, but a very fine grain and the paint works surprisingly well on a model. Now, I remember I mentioned Renault 4CV models, and then nothing happened, again. Side tracked I suppose. But here they are, all built from Heller's 1/24 scale kit that's been around for a while. Well, what can be done with that kit then? It can be built straight from the box, like these two from 25 or so years ago. The police car kit is a little different and highly recommended for something different.

4CV1.jpg

But these are not what I had in mind. Back in 2000 I used an old Heller kit of the first issue to build this R1063 racing version from Le Mans 24 hours in 1951. There were a number of modifications done, first to back date it to the early front trim style, then modify the front wings and add the lower rear air outlets. The seats where scratch built with the frames soldered up from brass wire and dressed with strips of thin masking tape. Removing the hub caps also leaves a plain face with no details so the centre detail of the wheels had to be scratched. I printed my own decals, it wasn't the first decals I did but I was still new to it and experimenting. It's one of my favourite models, but I could have done a better job dusting it off for these photos.

4CV2.jpg

4CV3.jpg

4CV4.jpg

4CV5.jpg

A couple of years later Heller reissued their 4CV kit again and I bought a good batch of them to have a stock to pick from as there are many interesting projects one could do. Some 1/43 resin kit releases inspired me to build the same cars in 1/24, and in 2007 I did a few. First was this spyder version from the 12 heures de Paris 1950 race. Although it seems a radical conversion the work was quite straight forward, I think the hardest was to make a good looking cover over the passenger seat.

4CV6.jpg

4CV7.jpg

4CV8.jpg

4CV9.jpg

This one required a bit more work... It's the chopped, sectioned and heavily modified 4CV proto by Bizeray from a race at Monthlery in 1954. It's certainly one of the more bizarre looking modifications of a competition 4CV that I have seen, but it made an interesting project.

4CV10.jpg

4CV11.jpg

4CV12.jpg

4CV13.jpg

4CV14.jpg

Just a little later I built this French Autocross version from the early -70's. I found a period French article describing this car and they were apparently more modified and well prepared than I thought, using Renault 8 suspension and other newer components that could be sourced from scrap yards. For this one I used the front suspension from Tamiya's A110 which is basically the same as a Renault 8 and the rear suspension from a Heller A110. The engine I think I took from an Esci Renault 5.

4CV15.jpg

4CV16.jpg

4CV17.jpg

4CV18.jpg

4CV19.jpg

4CV20.jpg

• Like 6

Wow, Jörgen, what a superb batch of models! As usual some extremely neat building - you've got this car modelling business well & truly cracked! I find it difficult to pick a favourite - that weird Bizeray thing is strangely appealing - but the yellow autocrosser has to win! That just looks so mean & purposeful, lovely model - & I'd love to own the real one!

I also like the doors on the police car - are they so the Gendarmes can hang out of waving their truncheons as they chase the bad guys?! Visions of Le Keystone Cops come to mind!

Once again, a lovely collection of Renaults, thanks for sharing!

Keith

PS, can I ask where the tyres on the Autocross car came from?

• Like 1

PS, can I ask where the tyres on the Autocross car came from?

Thanks Keith. Those tyres are resin copys, but from what source I no longer remember I'm afraid. I got a batch of them from a friend maybe ten years ago, so I don't have the mould either. I may have some info in some old e-mail, I'll check my archives later.

• Like 1

Hi Jorgen, I knew about your GT40s, in fact those cars of yours inspired me to model race cars for the past 12 + years, and still are. but I didn't knew about all of these, just FANTASTIC. So many years later and you still impressed me.

Carlos Avina from Mexico

• Like 1

• 4 years later...