Attitude Adjustor the Dalek - Is Now Finished

Dalek Diary - Day 65

I want to look my best for Telford, so tonight, after work I went to get a haircut. I had planned to have a dinner of toast and marmalade (this is how far my culinary expectations have sunk) but next to the barbers there was a fish and chip shop which I have not tried. It was no contest really; served with curry sauce and a fortifying cup of tea:

P1020634_zps155a09f2.jpg

How British can you get? And apologies to hendie.

Unmasked this is how the skirt looks:

P1020637_zps800fce9b.jpg

Looks good to me.

Next and last big task was the mega masking job on the hemispheres, one down, 55 to go:

P1020638_zps79441fec.jpg

The eight on the back took about 20 minutes:

P1020639_zps25db53cc.jpg

I tried to taylor each piece of tape for its respective position on the skirt:

P1020640_zps6159d3dc.jpg

An hour later I am at the half way point:

P1020641_zpsec622f1a.jpg

Another hour later and the masking job is almost done. Any ideas what I can use all the masking tape circles for?

P1020642_zpsd74199fa.jpg

Finishing it off was a trivial task:

P1020643_zpsb6b41f7a.jpg

This is half way through applying the Alclad gloss black. I am making fine misting coats - the last thing I want now is for the enamel to get all uppity and craze - it could happen. I also thought it was an interesting picture with the red to black transition:

P1020644_zps0836f45e.jpg

I now have a shiny black Dalek, I rather like it:

P1020645_zps65c70e77.jpg

It has all gone quite well. I thought I would have to sand all the hemispheres after masking but appart from the odd piece of dirt which I removed as I went along it proved to be unnecessary. From this experience and that with the dome parts it is clear to me now that flat surfaces are far more critical in terms of showing up defects of this nature.

I will post here but I am thinking about applying the Alclad Chrome. It would be good to give it two days to harden up before transportation to the Nationals but this has to be balanced with the late hour. It is bad enough airbrushing at 11pm but after midnight is pushing it somewhat.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 1

Agreed, give it time don't want to risk spoiling it by rushing. Very good work with the masking - I've just spent the last hour masking the canopy for the Thunderbolt which was a bit tricky... oh bugger I've just remembered I'm supposed to be taking photos for the WIP thread... oops!

I've just had one of my speciality snacks, toasted corned beef sandwich... stick the bread in the toaster and turn the grill on, stick a slice of corned beef under the grill for about a minute just to warm it up from the fridge rather than put it into the toast cold. Then slap it between the buttered toast add some Branston pickle and jobs a good 'un.

• Like 2

Surface preparation is of course vital. Having done some exploratory checking I think they will all benefit from an application of Micromesh so following Kallisti's advice I am going to leave that until tomorrow. As he says modelling should not be rushed, that way lies disaster. I have put in long hours and tried to work efficiently but I will not rush.

They've clearly shot down an awful lot of Zero's but I do feel the ground crew may have gone slightly overboard with the kill markings! :bleh:

• Like 1

Going back briefly to corned beef, the best recipe I have which features it is corned beef hash served with a fried egg on top. I will happily post the recipe on Nigel's Nosh if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Going back briefly to corned beef, the best recipe I have which features it is corned beef hash served with a fried egg on top. I will happily post the recipe on Nigel's Nosh if anyone is interested.

Best corned beef dish - Panaculty!

Mike D.

Funny you should mention corned beef hash, it's what I had for my tea tonight. Created by my beautiful wife.

Doesn't corned beef for corn fed beef seem like it should be an oxymoron? NIgel, you will have to give up trying to separate food out of this thread and realize you have created double work for yourself. You must post recipes for Nigel's Nosh to keep it going. And, tradition demands not only our daily intakes of your build updates, but also, our daily updates as to your dinner intakes. You have done this for 39 pages, can't stop now.

Still working on the tongue recipe. I tried to get some at the store and it is not as readily available these days as it was when I was growing up. Really do not like the idea of going out in the pasture and seeing if one of the calves want to donate.

• Like 1

Nigel

Post the recipe as i want to see how it compares to mine

I like corned beef with a creamy white parsely and horseradish sauce mmmmmmm

getting Hungry

Have fun at Telford !!

• Like 1

Dalek Diary - Day 66

The good news on getting home tonight was that the rivet reinforcements had arrived in the nick of time:

P1020646_zpse1d64666.jpg

Tonight I had to get my competition models to a fellow club member for transport to Telford by car. When I came to load them up I made a disturbing discovery:

P1020647_zps91ebce34.jpg

The lid on one of my transport boxes had had to be left partially open to accomodate the Natter with its launch tower. Georgeusa was right, there is indeed overspray as seen here:

P1020648_zpsdbdc63ea.jpg

Some of it has gone on my Natter but more of that later.

I got ready to spray the rivets by rolling out some blu tack:

P1020650_zpsce6d5685.jpg

I then primed these with Tamiya clear metal primer:

P1020652_zpsbb0fa7d7.jpg

I rejected one rivet with a defective head - not sure if you can see it here:

P1020653_zps66e110ac.jpg

Here is my Natter base, there were some papers resting on it and there was a distinct red over spray line crossing the concrete, I gave it a rub with a stiff brush and that helped but it is still visible. Hopefully the iffy lights in the competition area will help me to get away with it:

P1020654_zps3c167992.jpg

I also glued and varnished where the ladder had detached from the base.

So I dropped off my models and returned for bath time and dinner. The doomsday prophesy of toast came true tonight with Marmite and jam, how a grown man is supposed to survive on such fare is beyond me:

P1020655_zps97673624.jpg

What I had thought to be a little pot of marmalade turned out to be apricot conserve. It was alright actually and I like to collect these little jars for modelling applications:

P1020656_zps0a77d73f.jpg

I gave the hemispheres a rub over with 3600 grit Micromesh:

P1020657_zpse686eba9.jpg

I thought it would be a good idea to remove the sanding dust by giving it a rub over with some white spirit:

P1020658_zps78a36105.jpg

To my horror I found that this cellulose based primer happily dissolves in white spirit. There were some areas of red peeping out at me, I had to respray the black microfiller.

Here it is, redone:

P1020659_zps23448c4c.jpg

I then tried to wipe, brush and other ideas to remove dust and fibres but static kept them where they were not wanted. In the end I dabbed them all over with a piece of Tamiya tape. That was quite effective and removed this lot:

P1020660_zps98a3dc80.jpg

I was then able to apply the Alclad chrome, I now have a chromium Dalek:

P1020661_zps42047e5c.jpg

Now that really is spacy, man.

I also applied some Nigey's Aluminium to the rivets:

P1020662_zpsf3a44dfc.jpg

That is essentially all painting operations completed. I am not sure how much more I will get done tonight, I still have the six short slats to make and I could unmask the skirt. I have about three hours in the morning before I have to leave for the airport, will it be enough? Place your bets now.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 2

Hmm - Panaculty, never even heard of it before. I have looked at a few recipes now and it does sound interesting. One thing that strikes me is that the best bit about corned beef hash is the crispy brown bits. I am wary of a corned beef dish that does not have this aspect.

Still working on the tongue recipe. I tried to get some at the store and it is not as readily available these days as it was when I was growing up. Really do not like the idea of going out in the pasture and seeing if one of the calves want to donate.

I was going to ask you about the tongue frittata recipe but did not want to appear pushy. I think tongue is becoming a more scarce thing over here as well, althought they do sell it on the Sainsbury's delli counter in thin slices. For your recipe you really want it in cubes I would think. And I agree, leave the calves alone - for now.