Attitude Adjustor the Dalek - Is Now Finished

Sorry Pete, we seemed to go a bit off topic there, so bringing it right back to Daleks here is my interim update. I did actually manage to get some build in last night. I started drilling out the eyestalk pivot for the stalk and wiring, starting with a 1.5mm pilot hole:

P1010357_zpse93e3e6e.jpg

The blue LED in a nice push fit in the eye:

P1010358_zps77041bee.jpg

I started to drill that out too:

P1010359_zps4d02409a.jpg

I progressively opened up the holes in 0.5mm increments, my largest modelling drill is 3.2mm:

P1010360_zps2b9f59f0.jpg

So I now have to resort to my DIY drill set:

P1010361_zps6f2c1543.jpg

The 4mm drill I want to use next has its flutes filled with set filler, not sure what I was doing to do that, so I scraped it out, the drills all look sharp enough:

P1010362_zps58fca752.jpg

These drills are of course beyond the capacity of my pin vice but I still want to drill by hand so resort to this set up:

P1010363_zps5006d615.jpg

For the eye I stop at 5mm as this is the diameter of the tip of the LED. Note the bulge and crack strating to appear on the side of the pivot. I don't mind the bulge, actually welcome it, but the crack is slightly more worrying:

P1010364_zpsd498a76b.jpg

Note also I am only drilling half way throught the pivot now as that small hole should be OK for the wires. The bulge and crack continue to develop:

P1010365_zps547bde7f.jpg

With all that filling and sanding the pivot is now only 5.92mm think, mmm, how am I going to get that to work with 6mm diameter tube. I suppose I could apply side checks, I even consider revisiting the 5.2mm tube - but that would involve making new stalk discs so I resolve to try to get the brass tube to work:

P1010366_zps6e6cfc4b.jpg

As that's the end of last night I will post here and follow up with today's progress so far, shortly.

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

I woke up early this morning all bright eyed and bushy tailed:

P1010369_zps39977301.jpg

I actually woke up at 5am but decide getting out of bed at that time is ridiculous. Instead I lie in bed thinking about Dalek build related issues. Eventually I can't contain the excitement any longer and get cracking. First I squared off the brass tube with my new hack saw:

P1010370_zps4628fb6d.jpg

This is the result of the 5.5mm drill:

P1010371_zps62658aaf.jpg

I should have mentioned that the bulging is fairly one sided, this is the other side:

P1010372_zpseab9dfb4.jpg

Clearly the hole is a bit off centre so I first tried to recenter it with files but that was to slow so turned to my trusty motor tool:

P1010373_zpsab0988c7.jpg

Eventually the hole is sorted and I am able to run throught the 6mm drill and insert the tube:

P1010374_zps39dc0fa7.jpg

Next I have to work out the cut off length of the tube, so a bit of marking out ensues, utilising the kit eyestalk:

P1010375_zps544cb391.jpg

I cut the tube and when I compare it to the original stalk I find it is the same length, for a minute I think I have made some dreadfull measuring error but when I think about it, this is just as it should be:

P1010376_zps03359e96.jpg

This gives an idea of how it sould look with LED in place:

P1010377_zpsb1b5d2a8.jpg

I decided five minute epoxy was the right choice here and glue the tube and pivot with that

P1010378_zps46083e38.jpg

I decided to take advantage of the adhesive setting time to inspect the soft sections on the base. They are still pliable so I push back the bulges yet again, you really would think they would have learnt by now:

P1010379_zpsc041fee2.jpg

I cleaned up the filler on the gun:

P1010380_zps5dba8540.jpg

Most of the injection moulded parts have quite a pronounced surface texture and as most of the finishes are going to be demanding Alclad or glossy I need to sand this all to a consistent finish, starting with the eye:

P1010381_zps3e5e4c82.jpg

The epoxy is now hard and workable. I start with files but again its too slow so take some roughing out passes with the motor tool:

P1010382_zpsb05c0cce.jpg

After some hand finishing I end up with this:

P1010383_zps7f356bf1.jpg

I continued to clean up the stalk discs and conduct fit checks, this one was a bit tight and splits:

P1010384_zps4dd34aad.jpg

No bother, I superglued it and set it to one side to harden and got on with the others. This one has defects round the edge, it takes four separate filler applications to sort this one out. I also applied some fller to the eyestalk joint:

P1010385_zpsa839eb1b.jpg

This gives an idea of how the discs should look:

P1010387_zps9f86805c.jpg

While the filler and glue was hardening up I nipped out. I had to get a headlight bulb for the car and I took the opportunity to see what else Halfords could offer, this repair mesh looks to be just the job for Delek applications:

P1010388_zps79ba03a9.jpg

I also visited my local purveyor of scrap non-ferrous metals and purchased this lead scrap for £3 to replenish my severely depleted lead stocks:

P1010389_zpsf1bf905c.jpg

He may have ripped me off but I'm sure there are more expensive sources out there. I did at least get £1.20 off him for a bag of aluminium cans. The glue on the repaired disc was hard by now so I gave it a little tlc:

P1010390_zps6727650e.jpg

These little dings on the eye needed some filler:

P1010391_zps2fb1ac05.jpg

I had decided to add a second application of resin as some the ingress holes were still visible. I took this opportunity to add some of my new lead for extra solidity (I do like the way adding lead to models gives them a more solid feel):

P1010392_zpsd0a52a06.jpg

I am running a bit short on disposable tubs so I used this one that had some hardened brown wash in it - good enough for this job. I used one scoup of resin and half a scoup of hardener:

P1010393_zps0277ca09.jpg

As per protocol, i mixed in the filler:

P1010394_zps7d765c1e.jpg

I added the small amount of black weathering powder:

P1010395_zpsf170203f.jpg

To mix accurate quantities of small amounts of resin I had purchased a big bag of these disposable syringes. I decided to sacrifice one of these and use it to apply the mixed resin to the holes. It gives drop wise control and adds hugely to the cleanliness of the operation:

P1010396_zps969aa2f2.jpg

After a few circuits round performing top ups the job is complete:

P1010397_zps0fa675ee.jpg

I put the base and surplus resin in a safe place to cure:

P1010398_zps0c1e6daf.jpg

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

I then have a brain wave and decide I can make use of the surplus resin to add some weight to the dome, so in goes some more lead:

P1010399_zpsed897311.jpg

I still have a bit left so that goes in the spare dome:

P1010400_zps14e913c2.jpg

Therefore wasted resin = 0, I have a nice warm feeling inside. The discs are now ready for assembly:

P1010401_zpsa7e8018c.jpg

CA is applied. I'm sure I've read somwhere that copper catalyses superglue and these certainly seem to harden up quickly:

P1010402_zpsca85af73.jpg

Here you can just see the dressed filler on the eye. I need to make a lens for the eye and retrieve these candidates from my modelling material storage facility:

P1010403_zpsc7535176.jpg

These are generally stuff I've collected over the years for vacforming canopies. The stuff with TURNS WHITE written on it is no good for this as when heated it - yes turns white but I think is ideally suited to this applation. It is a bit scratched so I give it a polish with 6000 and 8000 grade Micromesh. Its not the easiest thing to photograph but hopefully you get the idea:

P1010404_zps17a26874.jpg

I measured the lens diameter - 13.5mm. To cope with this I break out my Big Boys punch set:

P1010405_zps69bf736d.jpg

I have a choice of 12 or 14mm and resolve to try both. A purposeful blow on a sturdy corner of the kitchen cabinet results in this outcome:

P1010406_zps23e1b34d.jpg

I had another practice go with the 12mm punch. I could make the 14mm lens fit but I think the 12mm with the gap round it looks fine so go with that:

P1010407_zps070583af.jpg

After sanding the burrs off the periphery I gave one side a coat of Klear:

P1010408_zps33960c84.jpg

The other side will be coated later. I then put it under another of my dust deflection systems.

Well I think that's enough posting for today. I still have another hour or two of build time remaining but will provide those updates tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

Thanks Pete and Jorgen,

I had a lot of fun today. Whatever I paid for this kit (and I think it was quite a lot for me at the time) it has already more than paid for itself in terms of modelling pleasure.

• Like 1

This is the new compact aforementioned DDS:

P1010409_zpsae70df1c.jpg

I turned my attention to other appendages or antenna as I believe they are called. I have been provided with these plastic rods to help with the fabrication of the gun "radiator tubes?". One is 1.2mm in diameter the other is 1.25mm. My normal practice is to replace such things with metal. The thickest rod I have is 1.0mm stuff. I am reluctant to buy thicker stuff as a rarely have call to use even the 1mm rod:

P1010410_zps34e7cbc6.jpg

I also started to look at the plunger arm. I have no idea where that short length of black tube is supposed to go. I think the 1mm rod will be OK, it fits quite nicely into the circumferential slots in the gun:

P1010411_zps4e0af150.jpg

The kit provides two options for the front ball and socket joints, either fixed or movable, I will of course be going for the movable option:

P1010412_zps3ad70f86.jpg

I started to remove the texture from the balls and added some filler to the seams, I also gave the smooth plunger arm tube a fine sanding treatment:

P1010413_zps675cb751.jpg

The instructions recommend chamfering the back of the hole in the socket, here I have done this to the right hand side one and you can just about discern a difference:

P1010414_zps61e4d70a.jpg

With the balls all cleaned up, I glued in the plunger tube:

P1010415_zps4c76596a.jpg

The end of the plunger arm moulding has this feature, I think it looks like a sink mark rather than a deliberate design feature:

P1010416_zps1d0d60b0.jpg

It does however correspond with the reality shown here, it is actually a different colour from the plunger:

P1010417_zpsa7cdcd2f.jpg

I had a go at carving it into something a little more realistic:

P1010418_zps96dc1779.jpg

I cleaned up the mould seam on the plunger itself. Because this runs circumferentially I think I will get away with leaving the texture on the rest of it as it is otherwise defect free and it adds a different surface effect anyway:

P1010419_zps5318fd66.jpg

I can't wait to get some primer on the parts I have prepaired so far and start to look at jigging for that operation. I now develop a completely new concept for modelling. This sprue was a lose fit in the eye moulding so I used my burner to generate compressed sprue:

P1010421_zps3d0d341e.jpg

This then gives a nice tight fit with the eye while still leaving a gap around the jigging to avoid paint build up:

P1010422_zps4c43d1e1.jpg

The same sort of sprue is good for the eyestalk as shown here:

P1010423_zps0122b4bb.jpg

I discover the plunger has these internal defects which need attention:

P1010420_zpsc35ce6bf.jpg

The last modeling job of the day was to fill and dress the plunger moulding and add some filler to those surface defects in the plunger:

P1010427_zps75d495ee.jpg

My focus then became on things culinary. A lot of my cooking inspiration comes from the need to use up left-overs in the fridge and not to waste any food, which I hate doing. A case in point is this spicy tomato and red lentil soup (with crispy croutons) which I made for my lunchbox today. It nicely used up some tinned tomatoes I had kicking around in the fridge:

P1010425_zpsc52d35d1.jpg

I strained it into my flask for a nice smooth result:

P1010426_zpsefc46644.jpg

There wasn't much else left in the fridge however so for my dinner I decided to cook one of my favourite recipes: sirloin steak with a stilton and pinenut topping, new potatoes and a salad dressed with the same topping but with a little white wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil added (to make it into a lose dressing):

P1010424_zps27ab3a00.jpg

That is not blood leaking from my steak, heaven forbid, but is actually a red wine and resting juice mixture used to deglaze the pan (a recent ridged acquisition from IKEA). I think they call it a jus.

Well you are now fully abreast of the latest developments, hopefully there will be more to follow tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 2

Nigel, You tease!

The steak looks good and so does the Dalek.

I was wondering. Iconic as the Dalek is,

If you were given the chance to redesign it,

What would you do to it? It is, after all, a carriage for a life form.

I came up with Binocular vision. Two good adaptable arms,

Maybe legs, Better weaponry.

Then realized I had imagined a smaller version of the ED 209? from Robocop!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Working on it you start to realise what a rubbish bit of theatrical design it is really. A sink plunger for an arm, one eye? I mean please, really? I do however remember as a kid having the living bejesus scarred out of me every time they came on the screen. Yes, me and my sister really did watch it from behind the sofa, so it must have worked at some level. There is something alien and inhuman about a Dalek that is somehow well captured in its form.

There is something alien and inhuman about a Dalek that is somehow well captured in its form.

and I believe one of the original design requests was that it should not look "like a man dressed up in a suit" which I think it meets rather well.

Nigel, You tease!

The steak looks good and so does the Dalek.

I was wondering. Iconic as the Dalek is,

If you were given the chance to redesign it,

What would you do to it? It is, after all, a carriage for a life form.

I came up with Binocular vision. Two good adaptable arms,

Maybe legs, Better weaponry.

Then realized I had imagined a smaller version of the ED 209? from Robocop!

Cheers

Pete

Perhaph instead of the word "glued" I should have used "thrust". It might have read better.

• Like 1

Okay, I have read through this whole thread, fascinated with the build, but not understanding some of the references. I believe I will be forced to watch some Dr. Who just to figure out what is going on in this thread. Now, having just checked out Dr. Who I find it has been on forever. Is there a particular time in this series that would help or do I need to do several months of marathon couch potatoing to get the gist? I think this is such a great thread. Until . . ., the steak. Son, I come from Texas. I even have horses and cattle at the homestead. I almost died when I saw a perfectly good section of sirloin steak defiled with some sort of unnatural foreign substance covering its beautiful surface. Now that's just wrong. And, a good steak should have some blood running through it. (Now, I do not cross the line for it being cooked for those that like their beef in the manner of "Just wipe its behind and have it run through the fire once".) Otherwise, an excellant build, wonderful dinners and lunches (steak is an exception, you are allowed one), and I am hooked into this thread.

• Like 2