Special Hobby Hawker Sea Fury FB Mk II 1/72

Have been busy and got quite a bit done recently; some good, some not so good. The stripes were masked using Tamiya tape cut into 4mm strips and placed by eye. The wings came out well although the fuselage needed a bit of correcting once the tape was off and they still aren't perfect but will have to do. Then a few coats of Humbrol Clear before the panel lines were filled in using a wash of thinned black enamel lightened with a little white. Overall I was pleased with the result. On the downside, my first attempt at the wash used GW Nuln Oil spread out and stained the clear. Fortunately I only tried it on the lower wing tip so I just need to mask along the stripe edge and spray a little Sky over. Which brings me to the decals. The roundels went on without any trouble but the others either wouldn't go on without tying themselves in knots or came off after application. Some were salvageable but unfortunately the rest were ruined. I am now committed to this paint scheme so need to find replacement decals asap. By sheer coincidence I managed to find a set from this kit on Ebay so with a bit of luck and no other bidders, this shouldn't be a major delay.

Jobs left to do. Repaint lower wingtip, assemble and fit u/c, canopy frame needs a little attention, fit pitot tube and step, apply remaining decals, refit all the little bits I accidently broke off, fit propellor, apply final matt or satin coat. :popcorn:

Edited by dadgaddad

Last couple of jobs to finish and then we are done. The new decals are done as are the pitot tube, footstep wheels, etc. The repaint of the wing tip did not go as well as hoped so am just going to do what I can with it. Other than that, all that is left is to put on the prop and the u/c covers. These are still a bit of a puzzle as there doesn't appear to be anything to stick them to!

Like most of the parts in this kit, the fitting of the propellor mounting plate (I hesistate to call it the engine) was vague and somewhat hit or miss. As a result it ended up slightly too far back and at an angle. My solution is to enlarge the hole and add a lump of milliput to bring the prop into position. Then I'm calling the job done.

1235063_10151611713791012_1908952349_n_z

Here she is, my second build completed. Despite the often frustrating fit and the amount of fettling that needed doing it looks pretty good to me. There were mistakes made along the way, some were fixed, some weren't. At times I wished I hadn't started it but in the end it was a very positive experience. Would I make another one? Definately, but not yet, I have to get started on the Mig 15 to go with it.

Thanks to all who watched and commented.

1374137_10151611924136012_1598753933_n_z

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 4