Special Hobby Hawker Sea Fury FB Mk II 1/72

1069356_10151464423946012_954617270_n_zp

Inspired by the display at the Cosford show this year, I decided to have a go at this Sea Fury. When an FAA group build was being suggested I thought that I would give it a go. The build will be OOB although I have the Aeroclub undercarriage which I may or may not use. Scheme will be Lt. Carmichael's famous "Mig killer" WJ 232 of 802 Sqn.

• Like 3

The cockpit is a simple resin tub with everything moulded in one piece except for the stick and IP. Apart from the seat belts everything is black and details were drybrushed with a little silver. Not much is visible with the canopy in place so I haven't done anything fancy in here. The wheel wells are also resin and have been painted silver although I might paint them in something resembling zinc chromate primer.

945169_10151464416841012_1677266399_n_zp

Edited by dadgaddad

bac2b236-b9b1-407d-acde-0f1e1af96323_zps

The cockpit and engine fitted into the fuselage. There is virtually no detail on the engine but it is almost completely hidden by the spinner. Fitting is largely by guesswork, especially the engine, so lots and lots of dry fitting and double checking went on. At the back, the piece which holds the rear wheel is held temporarily in place with blu-tak. We'll be coming back to this bit later. Paint is a random little pot of black acrylic, probably Airfix.

Edited by dadgaddad

Fitting the fuselage together was an interesting experience. No locating pins so again loads of testing and dry fitting required.

1013552_10151467026221012_48683649_n_zps

The fit overall was close but needed a fair bit of trimming in places, especially here

1014454_10151467026691012_1189894770_n_z

Here's the culprit, this needed some serious trimming before the fuselage would close.

1069332_10151467026106012_868749650_n_zp

Getting there.

47848_10151467016551012_1430120516_n_zps

Finally together.

P1010224_zpsacb1df83.jpg

Edited by dadgaddad

Typical of the fit of most parts in this kit; close but needing work. However, the instructions aren't entirely clear on this point and in the kit's defence, I decided these might be the wrong way up and turned them round. Still didn't help much with the fit and I ended up cutting off one tab completely.

P1010225_zps506e8c27.jpg

The blades needed a bit of cleaning up.

1013183_10151467443141012_1277948792_n_z

The wings seemed to be too thick in the middle which left a large gap all around the edge of the wingtips. This required a lot of careful scraping and sanding before the edges met. Considering how the rest of it had gone together I was expecting lots of trouble attaching the wings to the fuselage but it went together pretty well with only a little trimming needed. Quite a bit of filling was needed where the wings met the bottom of the fuselage. The wing root could probably be better but there comes a point where you are only going to make things worse by continuing so I decided that just a little sanding and shaping with a round file would be enough.

Primed with Halfords grey plastic primer which went on a treat and my attempt at pre-shading. Not bad for my first real attempt but I'm concerned I might have over done it a little. We shall see. So this is where she is at present, going to see if I can't get a few coats of Humbrol 90 Sky on her today.

P1010309_zpse5b2aab4.jpg

P1010302_zps2a1cb5aa.jpg

P1010308_zps50957eae.jpg

Edited by dadgaddad

Working on the undercarriage. All pretty straightforward really, Humbrol 27001 Metal Cote with a black/brown wash then a little dry brushing with the 27001 after.

P1010029_zpsbce17fd0.jpg

P1010030_zps96d62823.jpg

Hmm, might need a bit more work on those wheels.

Edited by dadgaddad

Disaster strikes! No build is complete without a visit from the Carpet Monster and last night I discovered that he had swiped one of the u/c legs. As I didn't notice it go I can only assume that it's in the house somewhere. It's not a complete disaster as I still have the Aeroclub parts but it's stil a PITA. Must keep looking. :crying:

Sorry about the attack by the vicious Carpet Monster, but looking good! The Sea Fury has always been one of my favourite aeroplanes - probably the best-looking radial-engined fighter ever. It's so streamlined and graceful that you don't realise how big it is unless you've seen one in person.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

So the Carpet Monster thought he could trick me by hiding bits in the instructions, did he? Mind you, having spent the best part of three days looking for this piece I have decided I might use the Aeroclub u/c after all as the kit parts look decidedly weedy next to them .

Edited by dadgaddad

Talking of things that might not be used, I decided early on not to fit the under wing tanks as I think they look a little clunky. Flushed with success after my triumph over the CM I thought I would put them together anyway, just to have a look. That's when I realised that there are two great big locating lugs for them right in the middle of the wing which I hadn't removed. Taking them off now would mean repainting the underneath which I don't want to do so now I'll have to fit the tanks anyway.It's not a disaster, though, but might have taken some explaining.

ffd44565-4497-44d2-a48b-be1480abffd2_zps

Actually, I've just realised I'm being really stupid as that is where the stripes will be going. Now I can't decide whether to fit them or not but at least I spotted this potential faux pas. The u/c is looking better now.

Edited by dadgaddad

Aha!!!

I know that box and that Aeroclub undercart.

Strangely enough,I bought the kit from Cosford show about 10 years ago and the Aeroclub

undercart came from Crewe Millitaire.

It loafed in my stash(occaisionally being looked at)until going to Acky.

Good to see it being built after all these years.

• Like 1

Good to see it being built after all these years.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't started it only to find myself thinking about how to improve the next one! Then I stumble across this little beauty

http://www.miniwing.cz/models_1_144/mini009/Hawker_Sea_Fury_FB11.htm

and see that there could be a few more Sea Furies finding their way across my desk. Anyway, working on some of the small parts now. The u/c is done, the prop painted and the canopy fitted. Next big job is to get the EDSG on.

Edited by dadgaddad