Hasegawa 1/48th CF-188A Hornet 'Tiger Meet 92'

My latest build for the year is the Hasegawa 1/48th CF-188A Hornet which needs no introduction. It's a great kit with a few fiddly areas to deal with but builds into a great looking aircraft. Like most of us I guess, I have seen many aircraft over the years that were always destined to be modeled by me soon. Well this is one but it's taken 21 years to finally come to fruition and if I keep going at this rate I may as well not bother buying decals for anything after 1999, forget the post millenium, I'll never reach it in modelling terms. I'm glad that I got around to it though as it was a great looking CF-188A and worthy of taking on the challenge. I added the Aires F/A-18A cockpit set and exhausts, some metal AOA probes, Royale Resins beautifully cast wheels and, of course, the Leading Edge 'Tiger Scheme 92' decals. All painting was achieved using Xtracrylix, Humbrol and Valejo acrylics with Future gloss coats and Xtracrylix Matt to finish. Weathering was Florymodels Dark Dirt and Mig Productions Dark Wash. The highlight for me was getting to the end of 10-11 hours of decals with a successful result because it took a fair amount of concentration to get those on, as anyone who has done a tiger scheme would testify.

Enough waffle, onto some pictures: -

069_zpsa6649d82.jpg

072_zpsf0329233.jpg

080_zps66418be0.jpg

081_zps8d67d6c6.jpg

091_zps6511055c.jpg

092_zps343cccaf.jpg

093_zpsbca2cc6b.jpg

094_zps7414e914.jpg

098_zpsd8e3ec1d.jpg

101_zpsb9cf39ac.jpg

103_zpsa1478656.jpg

105_zpsb4b3f25b.jpg

108_zpsffb88c03.jpg

110_zps8948ce0a.jpg

112_zpse714a9d2.jpg

109_zpse7f4372b.jpg

Apologies for the number of pictures but, as usual, I couldn't decide which ones to leave out.

Comments and critique also welcome, hope you like it,

Pete

• Like 5

Pete,

A great job done with a wonderful colour scheme....This one is on my own 'to do' list having seen the aircraft at IAT '91. I particularly like the 'final finish' with the semi-matt (or gloss) sheen. This is precisely how I remember the jet (and borne out by my many photos)...all too often I have seen this scheme portrayed in a matt finish and it just does not look right. You have depicted it extremely well.

How did you get on with the Aires cockpit set ?....any fit issues with this ?. I've had real problems with examples on both the Hasegawa A-4 and F-104 and, of course, there are well publicised comments about fit issues with others. Not seen much on the

F/A-18 Hornet though. Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Well Done !

Mark

Awesome build, looks super. BTW, we're glad you've included so many pictures for a great build like this. Nice one.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the great comments.

Pete,

A great job done with a wonderful colour scheme....This one is on my own 'to do' list having seen the aircraft at IAT '91. I particularly like the 'final finish' with the semi-matt (or gloss) sheen. This is precisely how I remember the jet (and borne out by my many photos)...all too often I have seen this scheme portrayed in a matt finish and it just does not look right. You have depicted it extremely well.

How did you get on with the Aires cockpit set ?....any fit issues with this ?. I've had real problems with examples on both the Hasegawa A-4 and F-104 and, of course, there are well publicised comments about fit issues with others. Not seen much on the

F/A-18 Hornet though. Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Well Done !

Mark

Mark, I use Xtracrylix Matt and spray it so that it just mists over the paint without getting it wet. I find that this gives me a nice almost, but not quite, Matt finish with a hint of satin. I find that a real flat finish tends to kill any depth to the finish and a glossy finish is a complete no-no for me. The Aires cockpit isn't too bad to fit, just the usual thinning of the resin. I didn't have to thin the plastic too much though, which helped a lot. If it helps it's nowhere near the pain of fitting the F-104 cockpit.

amazing job. may i ask how you make it? use tape to cover?

Guaguachong, the stripes were decals from a company called Leading Edge for the '92 Tiger Scheme' which can still be found on various on-line stores or Ebay.

Great decals that are pretty good to work with, albeit time consuming and mentally challenging.

For those interested the build thread is here: - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940622-hasegawa-148th-cf-188a-hornet-tiger-meet-92/

Thanks again for taking the time to comment

Pete