Airfix's new Harrier GR.1 - a build review

I promised myself that I'd build the new Airfix Harrier GR.1 as soon as I'd finished the review (see here), so here it is. I spent yesterday evening cutting out and cleaning up the parts for the cockpit, nose gear bay and intake trunking, as well as the fuselage halves. Since then I have painted and assembled the seat and cockpit tub. A quick dry fit of the fuselage halves with the cockpit in place doesn't suggest that there will be any major problems, so hopefully the rest of the kit will follow suit.

harriergr1build01.jpg

harriergr1build02.jpg

• Like 1

I've just about finished the cockpit, so I decided to grab a couple of photographs this morning before I fix it into the fuselage. I have added the decals to the cockpit tub and have then used some of Humbrol's rather excellent Dark Grey enamel wash to bring out the details in the cockpit tub, seat and sidewalls.

harriergr1build03.jpg

I also borrowed the harnesses from a spare Eduard set for another Harrier and added them to the seat. I think the seat is good enough to pass muster with the addition of these parts - good work, Airfix!

harriergr1build04.jpg

The engine intake trunking and landing gear bays have been primed ready for paint. Once painted and weathered, they can be installed in the fuselage halves, which can then be glued together - I can't wait!

BTW, the pics in this post were taken with my 50mm macro lens. They are greatly magnified so don't be too harsh! :lol:

• Like 1

I also borrowed the harnesses from a spare Eduard set for another Harrier and added them to the seat. I think the seat is good enough to pass muster with the addition of these parts - good work, Airfix!

harriergr1build04.jpg

Whilst comparing my recently delivered GR1 to the Sword T-Bird, I thought of doing this too.

Will need to get some eduard etches, what is the part no for the etches you used?

Rgds

Mark

• Like 1

More progress, owing to a couple of days annual leave :) the wing fits in place without any fettling required, although they are only dry-fitted in these pictures.

harriergr1build09.jpg

harriergr1build10.jpg

Without wishing to tempt fate, so far this is proving to be a trouble-free build :)

Whilst comparing my recently delivered GR1 to the Sword T-Bird, I thought of doing this too.

Will need to get some eduard etches, what is the part no for the etches you used?

Rgds

Mark

Very nice but the Straps are totally wrong for the GR1 only the GR3 post 1981 had long straps.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

I have now glued the wing in place and am pleased to report a nice, positive fit. There are a couple of small gaps where the leading edge of the wing meets the fuselage, but nothing that a small amount of PVA or filler won't fix. I have also filled and sanded down the seams, as I haven't done the best job of aligning everything! All that remains to do in order to complete the air frame is to fit the engine intakes and the canopy. I have dry fitted the canopy prior to dipping it in clear, and it looks as though it should fit well.

harriergr1build11.jpg

harriergr1build12.jpg

There are small indentations in the lower fuselage which help you align the ADEN gun packs correctly. These need drilling out in order to fit the packs properly.

harriergr1build13.jpg

I have also drilled out the barrels of the guns themselves, just to add a touch of realism.

harriergr1build14.jpg

• Like 1

Update time:

I have now installed the gun packs, both of which fitted very well to the fuselage. I have also fitted the engine intakes in place. These were quite a tight fit and required a little trimmingin order to obtain a good fit. I used the partly drooped auxillary intakes as my Harrier will be finished with the gear down.

I have also fitted the canopy (no problems there) and have now primed the whole thing with Alclad grey primer.

harriergr1build15.jpg

harriergr1build16.jpg

Time to break out the Gunze!

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Paul, but don't forget to follow the instructions(!) and remove the (for a GR1/1a) prominent fairing on the upper fuselage.....

Instructions? Oh fudge... !

I use them for seatbelts sometimes ;)

Nice build and source kit. My son built one of the old ones (1/72 GR 3) and it was a shocker!

Regards,

Adrian

I think a few of us here may well have built that one too- over the years!! Time was when it was the only GR3 available - and I've also converted a few of the original Airfix and Hasegawa (and maybe Matchbox?) GR1's/AV8A's to GR3 as well before Airfix upgraded there's!!

We've been spoilt in 1/72nd scale - in the last 30 years since those days, what with Esci/Italeri (and to a lesser degree Hasegawa and Fujimi) and now Airfix joining in.

Shame we can't say the same for 1/48th!!!