Eduard's other Spitfire Mk.IXc - 1/144

After finding that a Brengun PE set and vacform canopy was available for this kit, I decided to go to town on it! The Brengun set is, in my opinion, far superior to Eduard's own in that it gives a very intricately detailed cockpit that and being unpainted, lets you get it finished in the right colour! The canopy gives you a one open, one shut option, which is a pity, as why would you want all this lovely detail in any way obscured. I've also started scratching a little Merlin as well. Once painted, it should look ok. I'm just about to start on the bearers. Had the wings been in separate parts, I would have opened up one of the gun bays. However, I have seen a build online where the guy has done just that, but I've already masked and painted the invasion strips - the masking alone took me three days - so I don't feel like hacking away at it and having to retouch them. Maybe on the next one!

P1010991_zps024cc001.jpg

P1020015_zpsf8b0d8a0.jpg

P1020003_zps1069a7ab.jpg

P1020025_zps2d91461e.jpg

P1020035_zpsdf497e89.jpg

P1020123_zps72bdbde9.jpg

P1020121_zpsfd70787c.jpg

P1020119_zps0f3b558a.jpg

P1020091copy_zpsfc374f26.jpg

Brengun's great little cockpit!

P1010993_zps9d6eccc5.jpg

Edited by MakingModelsAgain

Huh! No idea why this has happened. Hopefully a mod will delete the other posts! Sorry 'bout that!

Strange things happen sometmes.... I did have a hard time trying to open up the site at about the time the posts were made...

Anyway, you're doing a fine job with the model How long di it take to train the spider to paint and glue all that detail for you!! :winkgrin:

I have one of these and have been looking at the Brengun parts so I'll be watching this one. How on earth did you make that engine?

Just good old strip styrene of various cross-sectional shapes and sizes and about 5 years off my sight.

Got the engine in. I figured the best way to do it was to put the Merlin in place and then build the engine bearers around it. I'm only showing the port side in detail, so it shouldn't be too hard. Famous last words. Also got the fixed canopy sections on. Funny, isn't it, once those two pieces of clear plastic are in place, all of a sudden, it looks like a Spitfire!

P1020128_zpsf2681f9a.jpg

P1020130_zps55ede141.jpg

• Like 1

Got the port side engine bearers in place. There are one or two minor things I'm not happy with, but after painting, it's not as obvious as it was in the bare plastic. First was the flat section that comes out of the firewall that meets up with the exhausts. If seen from above, it tapers in slightly, which it shouldn't and the other is the exhausts themselves being slightly angled. But, hey ho! I thought about trying to prize them off, but I'll take half of the bearers with it, so I'll just have to put up with it!

P1020139_zpsa13b7b40.jpg

Looks better with a lick of paint, although there's a rough area behind the stubs that still needs attention.

P1020146_zps133447a3.jpg

I'm using my 1/32 Tamiya Merlin from the Mk.IXc as my reference!

P1020144_zps9171241f.jpg

Edited by MakingModelsAgain
  • Like 1

A wee update of one of those major moments in a kit's life - that breath-holding, frightened-to-look moment when you remove dozens of painstakingly placed strips of masking tape to find that..... IT'S OK! Mostly. There was one line that needs tidying, but given the amount of lines in total - I'll take that ratio!

P1020311_zps4f9de4ee.jpg

P1020309_zpscba64cf7.jpg

The line in question...

P1020310_zps68141d49.jpg

oh my word ! .... stand up and take a bow .... I didn't know these little kits had so much potential :thumbsup:

Eduard's latest 1/144 dual combo kits are simply astounding - on par with Sweet I would say. Their level of detail, either in the kit, or as their own brand aftermarket is quite astonishing for this scale. However, Brengun's cockpit/detail sets are, IMHO, the best there is - again, for 1/144.

• Like 1

Well, this is the last of the WiPs - if they could even have been called that - as, hopefully, the next you'll see of her, she'll be all finished and stuff. So, still to be done: Final canopy framing, undercarriage, radio box, landing flaps, additional detailing/weathering on the Merlin and the antenna mast.

P1020316_zpsfbf862d5.jpg

P1020313_zps09bbde69.jpg

Ok, one last update before RFI!

After several failed attempts at creating the ignition lead manifold as a separate part, I was struck with the idea of drilling six holes with a 0.3mm drill and inserting into each two lengths of annealed copper wire of appropriate scale thickness thus ensuring a good solid anchor point to be able to shape them as the ignition leads. Then, simply glueing a length of styrene rod over them to represent the manifold!

P1020318_zps5c52ea31.jpg

P1020332_zps55eee4a7.jpg

Stunning, superb and super.

However........

get rid of the red crowbar before Edgar finds out, as that was a post war 'elf 'n safety thing. I believe black is in order.

Trevor (sorry for pointing that out)