1:350 HMS Warspite (1942)

Here's my attempt at the 1:350 Academy HMS Warspite.

She's always been one of my favourates, ever since building the old 1:600 Airfix kit as a youngster (I still remember the box art, and impressive look of the ship), I also got hold of the 'Ensign 4' Queen Elizabeth class many years ago and always admired this classic class, and recently after reading up on Warspite's history have been even more impressed with what this mighty capital ship acheived. I managed to get hold of an 'Anatomy of the ship' book for Warspite which was a great reference but also made fascinating reading, and also read Ian Ballyntine's 'Warspite', which is also a very good read.

I've gone for her 1942 stint in the East Indies with the early two tone camoflage, which was post Puget Sound refit, but needed minor back-dating from the kit's 1943 appearance mostly by omitting certain 20mm mounts.

The kit was bought at SMW (Telford) along with what was then the new Pontos full set of wooden deck, complete photo etch and various resin replacement parts.

The build went well, lots of additional time required for all the extras in the Pontos set but well worth it, and finished with a bit of time spent weathering and adding L'Arsenal resin crew figures. She took around 12 months of slow but steady building, but overall I enjoyed building her.

Warspite_001_zps900c9c56.jpg

Warspite_002_zpsf1226a6a.jpg

Warspite_003_zps3307dc86.jpg

Warspite_004_zps4bd58b8e.jpg

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 15

A work of art

:thanks:

I used LifeColor acrylic paints, which are easy to use - both airbrushing and paint brushing, and they do a good range of naval colours. I got both their US Navy box sets previously when doing the USS Missouri, and found them good to use then, and found they do a decent match for R.N. colours 507A, B and C.

I'm thinking about the next one, certainly Belfast is a contender, but have a Black Swan to do, and recently got hold of USS Essex (CV9), but may go with one I've been wanting to do for some time which is the Trumpeter kit of USS San Fransisco (CA38). Ooh, decisions decisions ...

I will probably try some of those new North Star 1:350 crew, they look really good, and would have a good time doing them up.

For this Warspite, I used the old favourate L'Arsenal little resin figures, with various officers, CPOs, POs, ratings in tropical no.7s and no.10s, and various working clothing, many informal as seen on many photos and reported in what I've read, also a few Marines. I did them after finishing the ship (as a kind of reward), and got them together for a team photo the night before 'boarding' for the first time ...

Crew3_zps503d4e77.jpg

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 5

Yep for a new project you could do the latest cruiser(Belfast).

Or Eskimo.

I have Roma nearly finished and will be on water.

DSCF2810_zpsec26c94f.jpg

But that is also a very good subject with lots of colour.

Like the ealier camo on your ship.

Cheers foxy :coolio:

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone. She will probably get out and about to a few shows later on this year/next year so you may see her around.

Edited by Rob 1