Tamiya catalogue dioramas

oddball1973

Does anyone remember a diorama from one of the early 90's Tamiya catalogues that depicted a retreating column of German infantry and armour crossing a massive wooden bridge (there was loads going on with refugees going in the opposite direction, sappers prepping demolition charges etc) It was huge and pretty awe inspiring.

There was another based in Russian tank factory as well that depicted a close quarters fire fight which was pretty good as I recall but nothing compared to the bridge. I'd love to see those again to see if they were as good as I remember?

Yeah I remember them, the dios were worth the cost of the Tamiya catalogue on their own. I haven't seen a Tamiya catalogue in some years, but I remember looking at the dios and thinking, "right then, let's have a go."

Everything about the catalogue was high end glossy & obviously, the models were just stunning. If I could make my Enterprise look anything like the photos in the catalogue, I would die a happy man.

Yes- I remember that diorama, and others all tbe way back to the early seventies, where I just assumed they had taken photos of the real thing and passed it off as a model... I am sure I found a website that pdfs of their catalogues all the way back - i'll see if I can find it!

I remember the bridge diorama!

The actual model of the bridge was a feat of model engineering in its own right!

There was another one with an American armoured column and a pontoon bridge.

Again loads going on, including a punch up between some GIs in the corner!

Very inspirational stuff!

Wow, that's a flashback, I certainly do remember that one, I really wanted to build a version of it, but being 14 at the time cash didn't allow, then I discovered Motorbikes and Girls (well actually my hormones did), anyhow the Tamiya catalogue was just perfect in it's day, though I had a Hasegawa one which was also well thumbed. The Dioramas and builds were inspirational, I'd love to see the Diorama pages of that Bridge again...Anyone have a copy they could scan...we won't tell....

That's the one, wow it's as good as my memory said it was...normally much rose tinting goes on.....and the factory scene is spot on too, I wish I'd kept those catalogues....

I feel a trip to my LHS coming on to buy some spruce....Happy Happy days

Many thanks for finding these, I'm soo happy right now (yes easily pleased, I know)

Cheers

Col'

• 3 months later...

I remember that well. It inspired me to make a much more half-assed diorama of a Hetzer on a wooden bridge, which in hindsight was not substantial enough to hold up a Kubelwagen.

The bridge diorama in particular really showed/shows how building great models and figures is only half the project. The precise composition, the many little 'stories', the haggard look of the figures and the worn equipment, they all contribute to the impression of defeat, retreat and impending disaster. Most dioramas are made to show off a tank. Here, the PzIV is just incidental.

• Like 1

I had this one as well which still looks as good as anything produced today without a 10th of the after market stuff we have now:

http://www.slideshare.net/SCIFIQAZ2/francois-verlinden-dioramas-special-01

I was a Verlinden hater, to use a modern term. He was very high profile and very self-congratulatory, but his models seemed to me to be so shake-n-bake, so formulaic and historically dubious in little details that offended the trainspotter in me. Following your link, page 3 is the field kitchen passing a sign showing directions to Orel and Sewastopol. How the bejesus could such a sign appear, as the cities are thousands of kilometers apart! Always the same dusty landscape, same vehicle weathering, similar composition, the same debris fairy has passed through. He did do a lot for modelling, no question, but by jingo that guy frustrated me!

But I am but a small, bitter, angry man.

Edited by Peter Lloyd
  • Like 1

Those pictures kept me going and hoping. I would look at the glue dripping, paint smeared plastic mess in my little fingers and think; "one day I will build something like that."

My fingers are bigger now.

You cant deny though, that Verlinden, argueably, started the change in armour modelling as we know it, with the introduction of his aftermarket sets and techniquesthat has lead forward to Mig productions and AK and their various styles

Bruce

(who just used "deny" and "argueably" in the same sentance)

• Like 2

I wouldn't be interested in model-making if it wasn't for Monsieur Verlinden. So he has a HELL of a lot to answer for...!!!

Seriously, the fella's technique is not perfect (who's is?) but he did know how to paint those kits. We should give credit where it's due...

cheers.

I agree with you guys... at that time I was high on Shep Paine who was so imaginative. Francoise had all those skills, the incredible execution, but was let down by such silly things. But I certainly copied many of his techniques, and bought his aftermarket products!

• 4 months later...

Francoise had all those skills, the incredible execution, but was let down by such silly things. But I certainly copied many of his techniques, and bought his aftermarket products!

Silly things like magnetic stowage :yikes: !! He was undoubtedly a great inspiration to many though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I can remember seeing the work of Francois Verlinden in the Tamiya catalogues back in the early 80's. Before seeing his genre, I had no idea that models could be made to look that way. When he published the "Verlinden Way Volume 1: On Plastic Wings" I knew I had to buy it.

Obviously, many of his techniques now seem a bit old-hat, but I still see him as a major influence on the hobby.

The dioramas that folks are producing now just have to be seen to be believed. 

Cheers.

Chris.    

One of the reasons I bought Tamiya catalogues was for the diorama's. knew their range already, but enjoyed seeing the diorama's and built up kits, bought a couple of Tamiya factory built Master Class 1/12 Motorcycles too, just to compare to my own building standard, their Masterclass Bike kits are superb, real show stoppers, they employ master model builders for sure.