DH.89 Dragon Rapide, Automobile Association.

This is the tiny little 1:144 Dragon Rapide from Aeroclub in AA colours.

It's a little jewel of a kit, injection moulded with etched details like struts and propellers. Constuction was fairly simple - it's the colour scheme that complicates things! I assembled all the plastic parts. including both wings but not the struts, then painted it yellow. A lot of masking later, it was sprayed black to give the basic scheme.

Note that this version does not have the extra cabin windows on both sides behind the wing, you'll need to remove them from the decal sheet. I toned my windows down a touch with paynes grey oil paint thinned down, to darken the windows a little. Rigging is stretched sprue.

rap2_zps8ff41247.jpg

rap1_zps106d753f.jpg

rap4_zps54924866.jpg

rap5_zpse8ce977a.jpg

Not very big!

rap3_zpsc894723d.jpg

35 years between first flights.

You can still fly on one of these aircraft, but not the other!

rap6_zps9175bfab.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 10

Lovely little model. Sparked a discussion with the Mrs about the fact that they both were the epitome of passenger aircraft in their respective era's but the only one you can still fly in is the DeHavilland.

I think you were spot on with that comment.

Steve.

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

Tha is cute. Very nicely finished too. What decals were used?

Paul, they came with the kit and are printed by Whirlybird decals. The thin black cheatlines and cowling 'flashes' are on the sheet as well as the Reg's logos, and windows. You need to paint the wing tops & fuselage top & bottom black.

I got mine by PM'ing johnaero on this site. He does 3 boxings AA, BEA, and Railway Air Services.

Cheers

John

I love that

I was always "going" to make a liveried up Rapide when I worked for t'AA and never got round to it*

Somehow I doubt I ever will now, so as compensation it is great to be able to see yours :thumbsup:

*I had planned to make the entire AA fleet through the ages

ho hum

;)

b

Hey John, that looks fantastic and the rigging makes all the difference. I wish that I had rigged my BEA version, but still have the AA one to do so I will give it a try on that. Did you use Aeroclub's thread for that?

• 1 month later...

After your topic I searched a bit for the AA Dragon Rapid but could not find much about the interior except that it was noted it was fitted with all sorts of electronics needed for traffic surveillance. Does anybody have more info? I got hold of a 1:48 kit and wonder if I should do this stunning livery...

Rene