.303 ammunition

oldgit

Given the huge amounts of .303 amo needed by an RAF bomber squadron for any given mission, I assume that it must have been delivered out to the aircraft in disintergating link belts, several hundred rounds long, packed in metal or wooden crates. Does anyone have any clear images of the crates/boxes that the ammo was transported in, or can you perhaps share any info regarding size and colour please?

Thanks everyone,

Tim

Nick,

Thanks very much for the e-mail of the great photos.

I wouldn't want to be the one belting up all that ammo for a squadron, even with a machine,

or loading it into all the aircraft.

It brings a new meaning to hard work!

I can only admire the ground crews that did all that work, in all weathers, time after time after time.

Thanks again,

Tim

One of my uncles was in charge of some ground crew during the start of WW2. He had a number or 'erks who's only job [ it varied day to day who's turn it was] to put every single round through a hole in a piece of wood - to ensure they were good for use, and they wouldnt jam the guns. Good rounds were then belted up by others.

I got a penance of belting rounds when in in the early 70s. Its boring, unless one has someone to chat to, and hands got soaked in oil.

I've belted .30 rounds into cloth belts and .5 rounds into links - by hand - no machine.

5 ball 1 tracer 5 ball 1 tracer 5 ball.........

Not good for the hands, or the mind!

Tim

I've just picked a reference book (Lancaster - Britain's Iconic War-Winning Bomber) from a well-known high street shop..

There's a pic. in it showing armourers making belts of .303 ammunition - they seem to be fitting them into links taking rounds from a box. On the table are several coild belts.

It's on page 79 if you're interested ...