Jaguar!

Paul J

I'm going for this one. Italeri/revell kit from M&S boxing. Modeldecals for a 14 Squadron example.

s3el.jpg

Kit and decal contents

jgxw.jpg

t2yz.jpg

gc2m.jpg

And some work so far. Also showing plastic card to blank of the hollow intake area.

• Like 1

Some more pics of work while trying to get on with other builds...

90uy.jpg

mkq5.jpg

3v9u.jpg

Inside the intakes. Ejector pin evidence to be removed!

jift.jpg

9rz4.jpg

I didn't have much of an issue in the join of the nose section to the main fuselage section as I'd feared. A light sanding and a buff up sorted it.

• Like 1

Yep. It'll go nicely with my other 14 squadron builds so far. Hunter, Phantom, Canberra B(I)8. Plan to do a Tornado and maybe a Mossie but will stop there. For this unit I just want to portray postwar jet era types used by this squadron. More of a tribute to Shoreham Airport where the unit was formed in WW1.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the verge of stalling this build. But a bit more has been done. Thinking about gettting ready for painting before adding all the undercart etc!

wks7.jpg

neod.jpg

kbnl.jpg

Primed and some cockpit work done. I'm not going mad and fully detail it, but just enough to make it interesting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not going too smoothly this one. Not the building, I mean the pace and time spent on it. I had to get on and finish a review sample that was taking up up spare modelling time. And now I am going to be away for a week from Tuesday to the following Tuesday which brings me a bit close to the deadline. Good news is its at a painting stage so I may have time to do all the necessary masking, painting, decalling and finishing jobs plus the photos!! Will do my best to get some done tomorrow evening.

On the verge of stalling....

Of course - technically speaking you couldn't fully stall a Jag. Before you'd get to that point you'd have exceeded the angle of attack limit - lost tail authority and departed from controlled flight - never to regain the same - and crashed - preferably after having first banged out :)

Most jag pilots will have exceeded the service alpha limit and flirted with departure during 1 v 1 training - generally associated with lots of buffet and rocking followed by some sort of undemanded pitch or roll and thoughts of "sh*t - that's done it" - followed by buckets of adrenalin and stick hard forward followed by enormous feelings of guilty relief........might also bring the flaps up as well - seeing as it was forbidden to use them in combat manouvering (but they did help).......

Then you'd go and do it all again. Otherwise you'd get beaten by the other bloke who was probably doing the same over-alpha/flaps down thing.......

Sorry for the drift. Looking good Paul. 14 sqn. Classic Germany wrap around scheme?

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after my break away and only a few days left to complete this model, I have beavered away and made some progress with the paintwork. Hopefully over the weekend up to the deadline I'll finish it!!

Pics:

i4wb.jpg

The kit nose leg had the all important wheel yoke broken off and lost. An appeal here came up with one from a Hasegawa Jag apparently. I couldn't use it all but with some careful drilling and reinforcing, I managed to get to what you see in the picture.

c3n6.jpg

The Hasegawa yoke married to the Italeri part(beige plastic colour). I know the pic isn't too sharp but at least you get an idea of what I did. And many thanks to the donor. Apologies but name eludes me now but you know who you are.

byib.jpg

Camo application and masking top side.

qf83.jpg

y73m.jpg

iiyt.jpg

And all masking removed and ready for progress.....

• Like 1

Hi. Done a fair bit more this evening. Just need the decals to apply and a final matt coat. So should all be done by Sunday night.... hopefully!
here are a few more pics with all paint work done and the pitot still needing to be added. I have left this off for decalling purposes so it don't get broken!!

he6y.jpg

plez.jpg

ly3u.jpg
As can be seen in above photos I have treated the gun ports to the brick red that was seen here usually. Can anyone confirm if this colour extended to the panel line to immedaitely just above the gun shroud please?

Its a shame that service Jags of the period didn't wear the full colour red white blue roundels in this camo scheme. I rather like the good ole' D types! The Modeldecals for the 14 Sqn. one I'm doing are ready and waiting. I shall also be using Modeldecal blue /red roundels from the generic set they did for the period as the kit ones are too dark in the blue and also the fin falsh is not the style used. It seems the flash in the kit decals was peculiar to 2 Sqdn. I will use the kit decals for most of the stencilling though.

See you tomorrow night with the finished job! :whistle:

Made it!! Just finished this after I spent the best part of this afternoon and evening getting this 'cat' groomed!!
One pic here as a taster and more in the Gallery and RFI!!

fdo5.jpg

• Like 3