Black Mike - a worthy campaign

Gundylunch

Unless I missed it, there is nothing about why it needs saving now. Is it in imminent danger of the chop?

As long as it's saved and under cover I'm not precious as to where it should live.

Trevor

• Like 1

Unless I missed it, there is nothing about why it needs saving now. Is it in imminent danger of the

I believe it is the impending demise of RAF Leuchars that has triggered this. No interest in the Army for looking after old airframes knocking around their "new patch", so loose ends need tidying up before the estate is handed over. It isn't even an official gate guard so it needs a new owner and home or it will be destined for the scrap man as per the link.

Geoff

Definitely a worthy cause. It's like an old friend when I see it at the airshow every year.

Sean

p.s. I wonder when DuncanB will appear!

Right now.

I have often worried over the fate of Black Mike since the announcement was first made about the closure.

I've got a four acre field that Black Mike is welcome to come to live in, anybody got a Chinook handy?

Duncan B

I am with Dave keep her where she is or let her go to East Fortune.

Graham

East Fortune would be good, as would the Montrose Aviation Museum who have close links with Leuchars. I doubt the Army will be interested in keeping her though.

Any idea where the gate guards will be heading off to?

Duncan B

We Have another Toom on camp, XT864 that sits next to the Tornado at the gate.

There will still be an RAF presence at Leuchars as the runway is being kept.

hi afaik after the army takes over leuchars the RAF will maintain the runway as an emergency field and control tower etc with around 70 odd staff...

thomas

Get it to Bruntingthorpe, I know it's not central for everyone (even me so I'm not biased), but they will do a great job of looking after her and maybe even return it to fast taxi condition.

• Like 1

I'm actually slightly more concerned about the Lightning, but it would be great if BM could go to East Fortune instead of their US Phantom (I always thought it should have gone to the AAM at Duxford and their F-4J (UK) remained as an RAF example.)

Haven't seen the Lightning for a while as it was removed from it's spot after 111sqn went as was BM. Probably languishing in a HAS on 58 sqn.

I'll see what gets dragged out for the airshow.

Get it to Bruntingthorpe, I know it's not central for everyone (even me so I'm not biased), but they will do a great job of looking after her and maybe even return it to fast taxi condition.

Agreed Radleigh.

Just imagine the fruity roar from those Speys in full reheat :headphones:

• Like 1

East Fortune would be good, as would the Montrose Aviation Museum who have close links with Leuchars. I doubt the Army will be interested in keeping her though.

Any idea where the gate guards will be heading off to?

Duncan B

East Fortune would be an ideal home but the collections management appear to be more interested in civil aircraft. I believe they were offered a complete Nimrod but decided on a butchered nose section instead. The American Phantom is good to have but is a bit out of place in British, or even Scottish, aviation history.

Montrose would certainly be a good second choice.

Bob T.

• 11 months later...