Tamiya 1/48 P-47D RazorBack

This is my latest competion. I posted most of progress in the work in progress section.

It has been finished as Wicked Wabbit, the mount of Maj. James C. Hare, 65th Fighter Squadron- " The Fighting Cocks", 57th Fighter group, Alto,Corsica, 1944.

It was intended as my entry into the USAAF over Europe group build but over-ran just a tad.

Built out of the box with tape seatbelts and decals from Rising Decals.

DSCN0648.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0652.jpg

DSCN0656.jpg

DSCN0657.jpg

DSCN0661.jpg

DSCN0662.jpg

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0686.jpg

DSCN0689.jpg

DSCN0690.jpg

DSCN0692.jpg

DSCN0693.jpg

DSCN0695.jpg

DSCN0696.jpg

DSCN0699.jpg

• Like 24

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I got the faded look almost by accident. Instead of using my usual flat coat I tried airbrushing Vallejo flat coat thinned with their own thinners. My bottle of thinners is quite milky in appearance so when it dried it left a slight opacity in the flat coat. I varied the amount of thinner in places and it gave this effect.

These are rocket tubes from the kit on the pylons.

• 8 years later...

Alan - I realize that it's been almost 10 years since you posted these pictures. However, I came across your work and this website, registered, and have some questions. First of all, this is a work of art. You did an amazing job and it is beautiful. 

Where did you get the decals? I cannot locate any. 

By way of background, in my younger days, 30 years ago, I built model airplanes. After research my grandfather's WWII medals, i came across this website. My grandfather, Vern Coe, was the Crew Chief for the Wicked Wabbit. I'd like to built one of these, but the decals are hard to find. In my teens, my dad and I built one, hand-painted "Uncle Bud" and the other Wicked Wabbit stuff, and my grandfather gave it to Lt Hare during one of their reunions. I have a picture of him with it. 

Anyway, any information you have would be appreciated.

Chris Strawbridge

Dallas, TX USA

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CStrawbridge said:

Alan - I realize that it's been almost 10 years since you posted these pictures. However, I came across your work and this website, registered, and have some questions. First of all, this is a work of art. You did an amazing job and it is beautiful. 

By way of background, in my younger days, 30 years ago, I built model airplanes. After research my grandfather's WWII medals, i came across this website. My grandfather, Vern Coe, was the Crew Chief for the Wicked Wabbit. I'd like to built one of these, but the decals are hard to find. In my teens, my dad and I built one, hand-painted "Uncle Bud" and the other Wicked Wabbit stuff, and my grandfather gave it to Lt Hare during one of their reunions. I have a picture of him with it. 

Chris Strawbridge

Dallas, TX USA

The sheet is OOP but FlightDecs are say they have stock still - https://flightdecs.ca/A_risingdecals_48.htm

On 6/24/2022 at 9:08 PM, CStrawbridge said:

Chris Strawbridge

Dallas, TX USA

When I bought those decals they were readily available. Haven't seen anything from the company in years though. I still have some of the sheet, but not to do Wicked Wabbit though- the Wog and Hun Hunter options were still there. Fascinating to hear about your grandfather. I built a p-47m for Witold Lanowski's son- he was a pilot with Zemke's Wolfpack. The above link has the set i used in stock- thunderbolts over corsica.

I actually still have this model. Still like it even now 😄